1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Character zone

Discussion in 'Census: Planetside 2' started by DerekAU, Mar 3, 2014.

1. DerekAU

DerekAU Guest

Hello,

Is it possible to get a characters current zone from the API? I would like to be able to show on our outfit members online page which continent (Amerish, Indar, Esamir) we are currently playing on. Preferrably this would be a query like Characters Online Status or even an extension of the data returned by that page.

Thanks.

2. DerekAU

DerekAU Guest

*bump*

Can we <span style="text-decoration: underline">please get this. It is horribly inefficient to be parsing the KILL/DEATH feeds of our outfit members to determine their current continent.

3. Dedith

Dedith Guest

Used to be able to know everyone's exact location, but that could be abused. PS2 Maps tried and it was quickly removed from the Census API, here's his blog about it: http://ps2maps.com/blog/live-enemy-locations

I'm doubting they'll enable this for similar reasoning.

4. DerekAU

DerekAU Guest

Whilst I agree exact locations shouldn't be visible due to potential cheating, knowing a users continent (Amerish etc) isn't in my opinion able to be used to cheat due to the size of the continents. Further it's very useful to be able to keep track of what outfit members aren't playing a territory alert by looking at which continent they are playing on. Also, it is currently possible to roughly determine continent through the players killboard but of course that doesn't show when they have changed until their next kill or death event.

5. Ryekir

Ryekir Guest

That's not true, actually, it was never available. That was just an April Fool's joke.

But I agree that listing the character's current zone would be a nice addition, and wouldn't cause any issues. The data is already available through the event stream, though that's an inefficient method if all you care about is what continent they are on.

6. Dedith

Dedith Guest

Ugh, didn't even catch the date on it. My bad.