1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Character ownership validation and accessing "sensitive" data like full inventory.

Discussion in 'Census: EverQuest II' started by Sands, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Sands

Sands New Member

Here I am swapping between ~20 characters trying to find out who I placed particular items on for holding purposes... and it got me thinking, it would sure be nice to have a place where I can search across all my characters banks, inventories, and house vaults at the same time.

It's been a while since I last looked, but I don't suppose this information is available in the census, and probably for a variety of reasons, one being privacy.

I think we can solve the privacy issue using mechanics like token authentication. When you register for an account at EQ2U and add characters, include a method to validate ownership of that character. You could have a button that generates a UUID for the character just added, and then that person copies it and places it into the biography pane of their character window in game. Then when the census data updates, that character is now verified as being owned by the person that added it to their account. Once that process has been completed, someone else can't add that character for ownership until that character has been deleted and the census has updated reflecting it. There would have to be a way to prevent someone from just snooping the sensitive census data on their own of course. Maybe a private key that gets generated automatically during the ownership validation that is then required to be passed along to the census system during the initial request to verify ownership.

Then someone can make an awesome item search page that will search all of their owned character inventories. Not just by name either, full item search by the various criteria on EQ2U, but across a set of character banks, house vaults, and inventories.

Thoughts? Think DBG would make that data available through the census?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Caela

Caela New Member

Nothing to do with Census - but with DarqUI, you can log all your inventory, including houses, banks, etc and search. I haven't tried it, so not sure how it works. But DarqUI is wonderful.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sands

Sands New Member

I love DarqUI, I am always learning new things it can do. :)

The problem for me though was that I didn't know the names of the items, just that I had stuck two boxes full of KA AS gear on another toon to get them out of my shared bank space for a bit. Then I couldn't remember which toon! So being able to search across them all and look for legendary items with 5+ resolve on them would be helpful. (I did eventually find them, but I still think a cross character inventory search would be a neat thing.)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dedith

Dedith New Member

They've been fairly tight about security and have long since disabled authenticating to census. However, all that was there was links to alts and monetary currency (not the tokens and stuff). To add inventories (huge) they'd need a lot of work, which isn't going to happen.