1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Ads... Ads Everywhere

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Wonder how much this is costing them...

eq2_youtube_ad.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Probably a LOT more than putting them in places where we wouldn't see them.

(thanks RadarX!)

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I haven't seen one of those Ads yet on youtube. I find it interesting that they are trying again as I seem to remember RadarX mentioning that they did not have much success with adverts leading to any increase in the player base.

Not sure about the raiding scene anymore as I don't play but the recruitment forum seems to pickup and then die off over on the official forums. I cannot be bothered to check the progression site to gauge activity.

4. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

RadarX said a lot of things. I'm not sure how many of them were true, though. Or, at least, how many of them were not generously manipulating the truth.

I have yet to see an add anywhere for EQ or EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Maybe they are targeted Ads just for Feldon :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Explains the "explosion" of posts on the support part of the forum that have trouble even installing the game....

Edit: When I say explosion, I mean it sarcastically, since it is a minor increase

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

5's of posts is an explosion at this point.

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any ads either. I don't search and view any dbg content on youtube though (well, other than the occasional liestream).

I have an idea. How about one of you programmers write up a bot program to search for and repeatedly click the ad.

Wonder how many click events we can genereate in a 24 hour period?

Note: Just use Mermut's ip address (i.e. the usual).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
  9. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

As the saying goes, "you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig." :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Feldon

When the company had 5 times the staff and 5 times the revenue they do now, weren't we told they couldn't afford to advertise EQ2?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. stach

stach Member

The way I look at it, they have now got to a point where the servers are probably breaking about even to run/maintain the game, this is probably a quick way to get people interested right before the expansion hits and hopefully make enough money for one more year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Here's the thing, if you can't provide even a fraction of the quantity and quality of prior years, at least reduce the price of the expansions and either eliminate the subscription entirely, make it optional (fluff perks), or drastically reduce it.

Let's face it, most people still playing EQ2 are veterans. So when bubble gnomes say, but there is so much content to play, big deal. Most people have played it to death and new people want to catch up to the end game where the bulk of the population is.

Nothing is going to save this sinking ship short of a miracle. There are common sense things they could do, but they won't. Common sense was replaced by ego and greed a long time ago and it isn't going to change. I just feel sorry for the players that still have hope, because they are only going to be disappointed again and again.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

In the beginning, eq2 had ridden on the back of social media and internet hype. Advertising was a waste of money - No need for it!

Then over a 10 year span, attrition > aquisition. Georgeson was a magnificent producer, far more knowledgable about what players wanted than the players themselves, so he left the culture he created in place, and took his genius to Next.

"$100MM........And it's gone!"

CN buys the unprofitable franchise and promptly guts staff and quality. The new marketing strategy is to lie about stuff and drive p2w. Design team is given free reign to give anyone who complains about quality and business practices the middle finger, which they do with utmost glee!

Suprisingly, social media and web sentiment turns even more strongly against DBG. The game is crashing hard.

"Hmm, maybe we should advertise a bit ......"

Here ends the case study on how not to do business.

Q.E.D.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Feldon

That was brilliant.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I just saw an Advert for EQ2 on massivelyop. Amazing and I feel privileged but I am not going to sign up to play. Been there and done that and it ended badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Nolus

Nolus Member

This is about 10 years too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Limited Time Only: New subs come with a preemptive Discord ban, and a mini calendar that features an enlightening quote from one of the developers for each day.

• Funny Funny x 5