1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

24 (or 36?) Hour Daybreak Maintenance

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I have no idea what's going on over at Daybreak, but their server situation sure is... something.

After the April 8th 9 hour "unplanned network maintenance", it looks like an even longer maintenance is coming, although the EverQuest and EverQuest II accounts can't agree on the duration.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 1
  2. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Maybe the EQ1 backend takes longer than the EQ2 servers.
    Just speculation here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I'm guessing they found out that the reason for all the lag was the due to putting their databases and VM's on RAID 5 rather than RAID 10.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor New Member

My impression is that they couldn't even find their backend, using both hands.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Benny suggested, "Bonus exp and maybe bonus rare spawns to alleviate any ire," and DW told him, "Thanks for the advice."

I loled.

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

As we've always suspected, right hand ... left hand ... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Or that their cloud provider really is as crap as we thought and the new owners are investing in a real one? Wasn't it 24 hours last time they moved everything and performance went down the drain?

8. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

This would likely suggest a hardware upgrade, right?

9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

They've been dropping little nuggets about hardware improvements being a priority since EG7 took over.

Hopefully, that's what's going on.

Still, consider:

Jen Chan: "So, how much experience do you have building games?"

Applicant: "21 credits. But before we go there, perhaps you could sell me on why I should work for your company."

10. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

DW straight up said it had nothing to do with fixing lag. Just "backend" maintenance.

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

Without knowing how byzantine of a setup they have, it could be literally anything. Database server migration, login server upgrades, network infrastructure (hah, don't count on them removing the hardcoded SOE domains though, @Feldon !), world server or zone server migrations, or even migrating to a different cloud provider.

Or it could just be an attempt to cleanup old code or something else and they slapped a 24 hour downtime estimate, 'cause no-one really knows how much of a shitfest will result once the maintenance activity starts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Daaaaave

Daaaaave Member

24 (or 36?) Hour Daybreak Maintenance

Simple answer, according to DB math: 50 h

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Greetings Norrathians!

We know the upcoming downtime and some of the previous ones have been disruptive so we'd like to show our appreciation for all your patience with some bonuses!

Bonuses will run from 4/22/2021 12:01:00 AM through 4/26/2021 11:59:00 PM

ALL SERVERS -

Double Overseer Missions – Daily Overseer Missions will be set at 20 for members
    Double Status x2 for members
    Double XP x2 for members

Downtime Appreciation Bonuses Begin on 4/22 | EverQuest 2 Forums

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

Haha. What a big bag of nothing.

Overseers - so you can point and click 20 times a day instead of 10.

Status - raiders have status in the hundreds of millions. Some have over a billion status. There is nothing to spend it on. Double status is totally meaningless.

Double XP - A little useful for TLE players, possibly, but the current live expansion was a lateral one. There were no increased levels and there is *0* need for XP. And even if there were, each quest since PoP in 2017 gives millions of XP which can be doubled through vitality and doubled again through readily available xp pots. Double XP is totally meaningless for most players.

It's honestly insulting. They would have been better off giving nothing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

You can trip over a gnoll and be max level and max AA in EQ2. I guess it helps for anyone leveling crafters tho.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Especially if you're ftp. Obviously those players just aren't patient enough :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Why would you even want to level a crafter at this point, though? It's not like they're useful for anything. :confused:

Like Glass and Tkia pointed out, it's more for the sycophants like Droofa, Breanna, and #blessed to point at as and say "see, they really care about the players!"

Nothing in there to attract / retain returning or new players. And none of that gives me even the slightest desire to convert from f2p to a paid sub.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

And it's getting worse. We seem to have a sudden spate of 'we're TLE why aren't we getting special stuff?' posts now. Do they seriously think they're the only ones paying money on that server?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm a bit flabbergasted. There are about 20 people on the OF acting like these stupid bonuses are absolutely glorious.

Lols. Wtf?

• Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

I mean, I'm still a CUBS fan.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1