1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Daybreak CEO Ji Ham takes over as Enad Global 7’s acting CEO

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 1
  2. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

So much for the hope that the acquisition would lead to change for the better...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Daaaaave

Daaaaave Member

This is not an unexpected move to me.

Jason Eppstein is the 3rd biggest shareholder.
    At general meeting in May Ham and Eppstein were promoted to boardmembers and Flodin removed.
    Early june both chairmans sold about 25% of their shares.

My theory is DBG needed a "clean" move away from russian connections.
    The made a "trojan" sell of their company and took over the buying company.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Feldon

Sure Daybreak doesn't have any game newer than 10 years old, but at least they can--checks notes--replace the first interesting CEO they've ever had, who actually believed in transparency and communication, with someone that nobody outside us and the gaming press has ever heard of.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Wow that is like a bird eating a worm then the worm takes over the brain of the bird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

EG7 have so far this year lost 65% of it's stock value. They quickly built the stock value up by acquisition of other companies, daybreak among them. Starting of June Robin (ceo) and Alexander (chairman of the board) started selling of huge chunks of their stocks in the company.. just before the stock tanked completely. Jason probably saw this as a good time to step in and try to take over. Guessing from Jasons history, there will be layoffs and more focus on micro transactions during their whole platform. Squeeze as much as you can, and then try to sell it again.

On another note.. the short position I took in EG7 after the announcement of buying Daybreak really turned profitable.

Here is a list of the inside trading that's been going on in EG7: https://www.insiderscreener.com/en/company/enad-global-7-ab-publ

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Sounds like a pump and dump from the way you describe it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

It is well past the time to pull the plug on EQ2. It seemed to me like EG7 was headed that way and for as much as the game has meant to me over the years, it would have been the right decision. But this move signals to me that they are going to keep it going with duct tape for a little while longer. I'm just disappointed more than anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Feldon

If you need a chuckle:
    https://mmofallout.com/hotcakes-daybreak-quietly-sold-off-cold-iron/

This is the kind of incendiary stuff I miss writing. :p

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Popcorn Popcorn x 2
  10. Feldon

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  11. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cheggers

Cheggers New Member

Hey, it worked with Gamigo and Rift, right? They haven't had a content update in years, but apparently there're still enough idiots out there with money burning a hole in their pockets that it's profitable enough to keep the servers switched on.

I really wish some angel would come along and rescue the franchise, but I've pretty much lost hope at this point. Seems the only decent games being made at Daybreak are the ones in the boardrooms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Feldon

If we got new designers/mechanics people at the top -- our art & animation, environment artists, and content designers are already top notch -- how many years of nonstop development would it take just to unf-ck EQ2 enough that we could start getting expansions again? I'm not sure even 1 year is enough.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Cheggers

Cheggers New Member

Yeah, that's a tough one. At this point I don't know if it would even be possible to do much more than what they're already doing, even with extra people. You'd probably need some kind of FFXIV-style reboot and basically make a new game. We already have precedent for alternative/parallel timelines, and we already have a cataclysmic event to have happened in the past with the Shattering, so lore-wise it isn't even that big of a stretch.

Of course, that would require actual investment, and not simply releasing new cash shop stuff to milk whales, so you know that'll never happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Daybreak isn't sunsetting EQ2 until they squeeze that last dollar out of it.

I'm not sure it's possible anymore. Even if they did somehow unheck the game I don't think people trust Daybreak enough to return anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

If they add P2W at any level above storage and clicky teleports to EQ1 that will end the game. The player base won't have that ****. The MMO industry is ripe for the picking too, especially for the older crowd, because last I read WoW had lost 50%+ of its paying subs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

• 1 Year
    • 3 People to replace Caith and take over Mechanics, Balance & Itemisation.
    • 1 New Person to sit over these 3 people and question decisions, and have common sense.
    • 2 Testers with adequate knowledge of the game
    • 4 Subscriptions to ISX & OgreBot to test the game.
    Likelihood of it happening, 0.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

However WoW is still making the same money or so they claim. Guess who you can probably thank for that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Devil Devil x 1
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Posted on OF thread talking about this yesterday. Post has been deleted without comment.

Appears other posts are gone also, so looks like we're back to business as usual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Yep. The new CM is only noticable by official announcements and disappearing forum posts.

• Agree Agree x 3