1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

After many years, I think we finally have a real WoW killer on our hands

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Just Curious, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

She seems incapable of learning. Skip down to the coverage of the streamer "Madseasons". He's talking about classic and uses a word I've linked to Longdale about 800,000 times.

As I've said, this is why she loathes streamers and the gaming media. She likes to bullshit, mislead, and lie by omission and they call her out on it. This dude had 800k views for his "Farewell to WoW and this is why" stream.

P.S. people are pretty pissed about what she's done to monetize classic. Lols, that's barely a scratch of what I expect she's got planned. Wait until she starts throttling exp and the loot tables to motivate shop sales.

There is going to be some epic rrrrrraaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggeeeeeeeee :)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...-creators-are-quitting-the-game/1100-6494570/

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

I think she really thought that what she did with EQ2 would work in WoW and, sadly, so did Activision/Blizzzard. I think it "worked" at EQ2 because the monetization was gradual (i.e. boiling frog analogy). She just sprang it on WoW and we're seeing the revolt. It's only going to get worse over there until they fire her or she really kills the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, it was gradual in that she started by monetizing the free to play crowd with itemization locks. WoW doesn't have that starting place, so she had to start somewhere.

You're right though, she did throw up some pretty big, cheesy, and apparently offensive shop bait. The premium mount for one, but the article also mentions the ability to shop-purchase tokens for in-game gold. Didn't realize that was a thing over there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Ahh such optimism. They are hopeful that the exodus from WoW will mean an influx of new players to EQ2. I'd bet dollars to donuts that most WoW players don't even know that EQ2 is still going. None of them seem to have twigged that the person responsible for the worst of the monetization in EQ2 has been employed by WoW, and oh gee - look what's happening there now!

YouTube Content Creators? News and info for EQ2? | EverQuest 2 Forums

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Sounds like ActBliz got what they wanted.
    Just the end result was not what they thought would happen.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

They got what they asked for. Whether it's going to give them what they want...

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I agree - I don't think EQ2 is even on WoW players' radar. When WoW and EQ2 came out the guild I played EQ1 with tried both games and everyone except me stayed in WoW and never gave EQ2 a second thought. I got bored in WoW because once I hit max level (which wasn't that high in the beginning and only took me maybe 2-3 months not rushing), it felt like PvP was the only thing left to do, which is not my thing. I also was never a fan of the "look" of WoW.

9. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I'm seeing articles everywhere along the lines of "this long time player is leaving" and "that fan website is shutting down." Pretty interesting to see after such unprecedented dominance in the mmo arena.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

The BBC describes it as "A perfect storm." From what the article said, they lost 2 million customers in 3 months... and that would have been before factoring in the sexual harrassment case and associated PR missteps.

The perfect storm striking World of Warcraft

11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

As a part of my on-going quest for entertainment, I've been sort of keeping tabs on the WoW debacle.

We've alreadty seen this, and the WoW crowd is just starting their journey down the path of destruction we all saw with DBG and eq2.

It is now starting to dawn on folks that game quality is being systemically sacrificed and a p2w incentive structure has become ingrained within its design.

They were already ticked-off and leaving in droves, and the abusive work environment issues that have recently come to light seems to have had the effect of pouring gasoline on the dumpster fire that Wow already was.

Holly Longdale will assuredly thrive over there :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

They called Furor's (He was huge waaaaay back in the day with EQ1 and was involved in some early scandals there as a player and was part of the original WoW team along with Tigole of Legacy of Steel fame.) office "The Bill Cosby Office."

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Things are looking pretty dire over there. Some guys did stuff similar to what we did a few years ago and used api data to estimate the number of active players, and they figured it was around 2MM, but that trend has been happening for several years.

These workplace issues though, man. Seems like with each passing day, more crap comes out about just how shady that company is.

Pretty revolting stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Furor was a garbage human being 20 years ago. I knew him and Tigole both personally in a former life. Neither one of them was worth shooting.

• Informative Informative x 3
  15. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I hope they are really re-thinking their recruiting strategies after this mess. Really disgusting stuff.

16. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

17. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

• Like Like x 1