1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

She was an apt pupil of Georgeson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I know folks who used to play and love WoW. They have been unhappy with what happened to it. When I explained about Longdale (they know about my history with EQ2) the facts clicked into place.

I feel bad for them, I really do.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The Lazy Peon put up an 'A' to 'Z' explanation video for AoC last year, probably the best description of the game I've seen:

• What nodes are and how they work to make and re-make the game.
    • PVE - theme park and sand box elements.
    • PVP - flagging, corruption (anti-griefing system), caravans, node seiges - environments, risks and rewards.
    • Crafting system (note: crafted items can be as good as any mob-dropped items, including raid items. Also watching the alpha, it looks very similar to the old eq2 sub-combine crafting system).
    • Player housing - instanced and freehold.
    • Guilds, including guild wars and castle sieges.
    • Races
    • Classes (8 primary classes that can be augmented with a secondary class for a total of 64 unique classes. Clarification: It's the primary class skills that are augmented with the secondary class, so It's not for example, a tank that gets a few mage spells if those two classes are combined. Rather, the tank skills are augmented by mage skills).
    • Action-Tab hybrid combat system.
    • A bunch of cool little odds and ends.
    This video is worth a look if you want to really understand the nuts and bolts of what AoC is.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Shocked Shocked x 1
  5. Feldon

6. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

Not to mention:

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture

7. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Seems it's mostly EVGA cards and they were not going to well with their 3090 FTW model. I had one that failed with a burnt out power stage and I got a refund. Switched to a different manufacture and I have not had any issues since.

8. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Very interesting, but lost me at the point where player housing is destroyed if a node is successfully attacked. Also definitely not interested in any possibility of being involved in any sort of PvP (anti-grief system or not - there will always be some who will happily and proudly take the corruption path - I would only play if I could be non-combatant and immune to attack by other players).

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Seems the issue is the game isn't constraining the frames rate. Can't imagine that's a difficult fix, but I'm really surprised the problem wasn't discovered until final beta.

On the upside, I watched some streams last night and the game looks pretty good. It's got a beautiful environment, and the mixture of survival, sand box, and PvP looks like a lot of fun.

10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yep. I can see the reluctance to have your house leveled. For what It's worth, your housing template is saved, so when you get another one you can just load it, but yeah, I can understand why peeps wouldn't be thrilled about that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Feldon

I continue to be astonished at the obsession with trying to make a PvP-centric high fantasy MMO. High fantasy MMO players become extremely attached to their stuff and their characters. PvP players are all about destroying and demolishing stuff and characters. Oil and water. I know Fuli says it will work out in the end. I think it's going to be a mess.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I agree with you Feldon 100 percent. I have tried pvp several times, but I just don't get any satisfaction from it. I am fine if it is optional, but any game the wants to force it on me can count me out. I wonder if we will ever get another immersive high fantasy mmorpg where pvp isn't forced on us? One can dream I guess.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Hold on....wiping all the salt off my screen....

Look on the bright side, a lot of the innovations being deployed by Intrepid and others right now will be copied, modeled, and improved upon by other studios in the future.

Don't lose hope! Becauss I'm confident y'all will have your own cool game within the next 5-15 years.....maybe....

But as for me and few hundred thousand others? Yippeee :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes x 1
  14. RhodrisNZ

Thanks for the clarification. Truly, I AM really interested in this game. I am disappointed though, that even if you are marked/set as non-combatant, you can still be attacked by other players. Non-combatant needs to be immune from that. I even refuse to duel - in every game I play, if there's a disable dueling option, I take it. Just totally not interested in dealing with that stuff - I get into enough trouble with PvE.

I think Feldon has hit the nail on the head with his summation. I definitely get attached to my character and what I build with it. I truly think that PvP and PvE are diametrically opposed and a game should never try to merge the two play styles, unless they can somehow keep them separate (i.e. SWTOR - you can go for open-world PvP but it is a separate instance to PvE).

15. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Aside from the fact that I don't like pvp, Ashes of Creation just doesn't feel very original to me in any way (based on what I have read and seen so far).

It very much reminds me of Black Desert and ArcheAge with the node wars etc. I gave both of those a try and just didn't enjoy them.

Having said that, if other people enjoy it, then great! I will just keep watching and waiting I guess lol :p.

16. Feldon

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, take the things you like from other games, create solutions to the things you don't like, and throw in some new ideas for things you feel like are absent and push the envelope.

The only way to know for sure how this game is going to pan out is to play it in its final form. In terms of griefing, the only way to drop corruption is to be killed by another player or grind tedious temple quests. Personally, I'd rather see the cleansing happen only if killed by a bounty hunter or by doing the repeatables.

In any case, I plan on rolling a tank and flagging as noncombatant for a month or so (I'll have another toon for pvp), so we'll see how effective the incentives against griefing really are.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. RhodrisNZ

I await your report with bated breath! :cool::D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  19. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Or be killed by your alt account toon so no risk to your stuff :). Everyone of these systems has a way around them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, or a buddy. That's why I'd prefer that corruption not be wiped by anyone other than a bounty hunter or the repeatables.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1