1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Plat dupe strikes again

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Wulfgyr / Erytheal, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

I haven't been active in Norrath much this week, as there's been more activities to enjoy with the start of summer. Fortunately, it means I completely missed yet another fumble by DPG until taking a quick spin through the forums during lunch. Apparently there was a previously reported plat dupe that never got patched before Tarinax went live.... and it was found and exploited heavily last night. Looks like servers went down just before 11 pm PDT, until about 10:30 am this morning.
    From the second hand accounts in the OF, including posts this morning after servers came back up, seems like the entire economy for Tarinax has been nuked.

General forum thread

PvP forum thread - looks like Mepps or Accendo rolled this up into the General thread (above)

Mepps mentioned there would be more information coming out this afternoon. I'd heartily recommend they do a server roll-back to a time before the exploit started, and run some kinda promo to compensate players. Otherwise, the economy damage and loss of good will to those who lost broker items to buyers using duped plat is going to doom it even sooner then I had previously forecast.

Who woulda thought it'd be dead before summer ethereals?!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I am 99.99% sure its the item dupe bug you can do when you go exile. This has been reported by players and ogre bot developers over a year ago and they just did nothing to stop it until it hit them in the ass.

Even back then people used this to buy familiar crates and krono, which is why krono prices have been going up and down as much as they are. +/- 2-2.1 millions sometimes. The only reason they are doing anything now is because someone decided to mail 9,9 million plat to every online on some of the servers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Yikes! Well, given it was reportedly an exile guild on Tarinax that was responsible, that makes sense. Especially since it looks like they took Tarinax back down at 1:30 pm (Pacific time) for more emergency maintenance.

The Discord's gotta be going nuts... oh, to be a fly on the wall, lol! I'm sure Kander will bring out a retroactive ban-hammer to take out frustration once he gets time for a few drinks. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

The comment on the forum post that made me laugh was the "I wish they'd given us more notice"....ummm hey guys, there's going to be an emergency in around, oh, half an hour or so....

If they can do that, they should be able to predict the winning Lotto numbers as well!

Edit: The PVP forum thread has been nuked into the ether in its entirety.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Yeah, I couldn't help but respond to that growing level of stupidity o_O And given that and the amount of whining on the main thread I can easily imagine what was going on over in the pvp version :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

It's sort of eye opening to be detached and visit threads like the one being discussed here.

It's truly stunning that people are actually losing their sh*t over downtime for a game that is so remarkably craptacular.

Pick up a book. Take care of some house projects. Spend time with your kids, grand kids, neices or nephews. Or God forbid, play another game?

Nope. Gonna park on the forums anxious and fuming, speculating about ransom ware attacks and demanding a $0.50 refund because the game's been down for a few hours without a continuous stream of fully documented updates every 6 minutes.

Jebus. It's all just so freakin' ludicrous.

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

This is litterally part of the reason why I started game hopping years ago. 15-20 years ago most of these games could get horriffic when it came to things breaking and down time. So I found something to keep me occupied, other games.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Credit where credit is due. Taking down the server and rolling it back for this is the right thing to do. I thought they didn't have the tools and programmer support to do this kind of thing anymore, so good to hear they're still able to take action as necessary.

Still a shame that they missed tips about this a year ago from Ogre and other users.

Still a shame that the Terrors of Thalumbra exploit went unpatched for over 6 months, something that was never really addressed.

It highlights that e-mail communication with the dev team is still very random. They readily tune out the useful info because they don't like who's saying it. And it highlights that there is a lack of dashboards/software to identify when the poo is hitting the fan. Seems like it's when players tell them (and it's not someone they muted/banned).

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Great point. Leads to the question.....

Do you think they would have done anything, if it didn't involve their precious PvP server? :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Question is... how much plat was duped and successfully laundered before the point they rolled back the server to? Some people might/probably been doing it for much longer before it went viral. How much plat was duped on the live servers that didn't get any rollbacks? Guess we never know for sure...

12. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

And their solution to 'plat dupers' is.. not to fix the problem.. but, once again, to screw crafters..
    Update Notes Addendum: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 | EverQuest 2 Forums
    So crafters either plan very carefully exactly how much fuel they're going to need, or they throw plat away..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  13. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

It's going to hurt low level crafters trying to level up quite badly. Now when you're getting to the end of the tier you're going to have to do complex maths to avoid buying too many fuels and tying up the money you need to finance your new tier books and fuels. And you don't need to be wasting that sort of time with an xp pot running down.

But then again if you're not already 120 wtf do they care?

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Why in the world would they do that? It sucks Domino isn't around anymore to push back on garbage changes like that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

My guess? It's the best path of least work to fixing the money laundering exploit and since it doesn't have any adverse effects on their drowning-in-plat-due-to-exploit end gamers they don't give a **** about the rest of the playerbase. As usual.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Fuel is so dirt cheap it makes little/no difference anyway.

I'd guess somewhere on Tarinax there is someone with a LOT of fuel stored away, who is very salty right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

So what we're saying here is, EQ2 has no way of detecting/logging the movement of hundreds of thousands of plat by individual characters in a matter of hours, and so instead must repeatedly break basic game functionality in a whack-a-mole attempt to stop plat duping after it's already been done for days/weeks/months, ruining the game economy.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

At end game it makes little difference, but it's an annoyance for leveling a new character -- especially on a new TLE server where people don't have plat banked up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Is it any wonder that the game has largely emptied out of players? It is like watching a suffering animal that needs to be put down forced to linger in agony. What a train wreck.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This "solution" just has Kander written all over it.

"It's just crafting, so whatever."

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3