1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Edited Transcript of EG7.ST earnings conference call or presentation 25-Feb-21 8:30am GMT

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by schnugggel, Mar 7, 2021.

1. schnugggel

schnugggel New Member

2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Lot of interesting stuff in there. Thanks for sharing!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

That was interesting.

1. Seems DBG purchase was mostly shares.
    2. DBG or what was to become DBG was under water and close to folding.
    3. EG7 acknowledges that communication and customer service at DBG has been terrible and are resolved to correct that.
    4. They appear to be largely uninterested in reviving development of H1Z1.
    5. A nugget about improving the engines that run their games - modernizing them.

It was difficult for me to find any little nuggets about why they bought DBG, other than they got some iconic ip's at a bargain price, and mostly for shares.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Feldon

Would be curious what you think the strongest quote is that supports #2. I'm kinda skimming unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Interesting but not that surprising that EQ gets a mention but not EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

And on that note, we have our first question from the audience, while we're talking about Daybreak. Are you looking to expand the Daybreak team?

I think the answer is very clear, yes. We are going to expand team around these games. We have actually already started hiring to support some of the engine technologies and support some of the sort of, I would say, the fixes that we can do to improve further into the future of these technologies. There's going to be in different ways, but we are very, very excited about the potential of what we can bring.

PS. I would go back and play EQ if they fixed the graphics and lag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Q&A #14. That answer was more or less an address to DBG's severe cost-cutting and and restructuring around the shop.

I read through all that again, and it's still hard for me to find anything that expresses excitement around the purchase of DBG. It's almost like they view it as buying seasoned human capital for the firm at large, and are undecided on the direction they want to go with the IPs.

I think LOTRO, DCUO, and EQ are safe. The others? I expect they'll get a year or two to get things moving in a healthier direction.

I'm not optimistic about EQ2.

Edit and P.S.:

Been saying all along Epstein was executing a textbook, bottom-feeding market harvesting strategy, and that's exactly how it turned out:

1. Purchase a business that's underwater.
    2. Immediately cut costs and quality to the bone.
    3. Extract as much cash as possible by exploiting the most loyal customers.
    4. Once #3 dries up, sell what's left or start shuttering the business.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
  8. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I've wondered about the IPs. LOTRO and DCUO still have to be licensed, yeah? The titles changing hands I would think might effect any contracts in place. I'm surprised DBG was allowed to hold them for as long as they did all things considered, and now they change hands to a relatively unknown company. I'm not going to pretend to understand how that sort of thing works in general or the particulars here, but it is interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

There's some groundbreaking revelations there. Like the communication with the player base being terribad. Who'd have thunk it?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm getting a good vibe about EG7, which also gives me hope for the most of the DBG folks.

I'm even hopeful for the EQ franchise, but I believe EQ2 is too far down the rabbit hole of crappy design, crappy quality, and crappy brand (negative customer sentiment and mountains of mistrust) to recover.

I'd love it if the good members of the team get reassigned to new projects with modern tools. Perhaps even a new EQ title. There is a lot of positive sentiment toward eq and Norrath as a whole, it's just eq2 that's the toxic component within the brand. They might be able to work with that, and I think people would come back for something new as long as none of the cancerous personalities from eq2 were involved. A long shot, but ya' never know.

In any case, if eq2 eventually gets terminated, it would be hard for me to accept Kander or Caith surviving that and being reassigned to another project they'll just damage.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 9
  11. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

If I was given reason to believe significant positive changes had been made (not were just 'in the works') I would probably be willing to give EQ2 another try.
    I tried EQ when 'All Access' first came out and between the graphics and interface, I didn't last past the first intro quest...

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I'd absolutely give EQ2 another chance if I believed the game was heading in a positive direction. I doubt that will ever happen though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Feldon

EQ3-Meme.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
  14. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

EQ1's graphics don't bother me at all. Maybe because I'm used to them. EQ2 is definitely way prettier but it's also way more simple. I'll take the depth and outside the box things over the graphics any day. Only thing I want from EQ2 is the crafting depot, not even the system, just the storage. I play each for different reasons. Well, I play 1 of them now and might play the other again if they fix crafting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

The thing that defeated me the last few times I tried to log in to EQ was needing to sort my UI out again. There's a lot of options that aren't very conveniently accessible. I don't mind the graphics and I do prefer that version of the Norrath setting over EQ2. A tiny part of me hopes all of this will work in EQ's favor so I can sneak over and re-learn how to play.

16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

My impression of eq:

1. Log in.
    2. Wait for friends.
    3. Find a trash mob.
    4. Take 15 min to kill it.
    5. Everyone sit and chat for 10 min.
    6. Verify the game added 6 exp to your toon.
    7. Find next trash mob.......

Nope.

17. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

^^ This for me as well. Couldn't stand the graphics, the movement, the combat, and the interface, although the music is better than EQ2. I didn't get out of the tutorial area.

18. Ursa Minor

Ursa Minor New Member

There are few things that I miss from EQ, primary being the faction game. I was well on my way towards getting my Iksar tolerated, even liked, almost everywhere in the world.

One of my favorite friend stories is from EQ. One day we were sitting in Halas, and a Barbarian came up and challenged my Wizard friend to a no-magic duel. My friend said sure, but if we go no-magic it has to also be weaponless. The barbarian agreed, and promptly got beat down to the ground by my friend, who had spent quite a bit of time maxxing out his Wizard's hand-to-hand.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  19. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Hasn't been that way in years but I get it. My version of EQ2 is the same except for 3 and 4. Those take 0.0000023 seconds and after 100 the exp rate is about the same. Both games at the newest levels rely almost entirely on quest experience. I haven't had to actually "med" in EQ1 for over a decade. Different strokes for different folks. I just happen to be ambidextrous.

20. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

EQ2 live currently:

Login 9 hours a week (3x3) to raid.
    Login every other day for 5 minutes to start the "good" overseer quests.
    Login and check you have something passive leveling. Mercenaries, research or mount if it isnt already level 20.
    Login a couple of times a day to see no one else is on to do group content.

EQ1 TLP currently:

Login and farm AA whenever you want on whatever class you want and be able to start a group within 15-20 minutes.
    Login and raid even without an actual guild by doing one of 4 different GDKP raids setup across various discords.
    Login and do various quests that can actually improve your characters power despite being max level.
    Login and level various alts if you feel like it with other players in all level ranges.
    Login and experience zero p2w.
    Login and see actual players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1