1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Producer's Letter: Expansion 17, Beta and Preorders!

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Discord thread.

Screenshot_20201207-110212.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110533.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110514.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110455.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110421.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110359.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110306.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110255.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110238.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110222.jpg

2. Feldon

Discord thread.

Screenshot_20201207-110604.jpg Screenshot_20201207-110614.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Feldon

Just got banned on a brand new account I registered. I have never posted anything on it. This means Dreamweaver is actively looking for me and this is a permanent global ban.

I've been contributing to the EverQuest II community for 12 years, been to 7 Fan Faire events, served on the Community Council for 4 years, been to SOE headquarters, and presented 3 panels at SOE Live / Fan Faire. Someone who's been CM for a year is going to permanently remove me from the community? Not going to happen.

18,000 registered users on EQ2U. Is it time for me to write an e-mail to thousands of current and former EverQuest II players? I'm sure that's what Jenn Chan would love to be doing this week -- reading a thousand e-mails about a minor quibble instead of running a $77m studio.

Did I go too far in accusing the studio of being cheap and not getting alternative webhosting to work around their CDN problem as dozens of other companies did and had 2 hours of downtime vs 5 days? Maybe. But that does not justify a permaban.

At what point do I release the kraken?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Shocked Shocked x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Feldon, you are authorized for full nuclear release.

Give 'em hell.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

You missed my post in that thread which happened right before it got deleted. Also, set it on fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

It is astounding that this pathological behavior of a failing frsnchise toward customers, former customers, and fan sites continues to be flouted right under the nose of the new owner.

Are Caith and Kander trying to intentionally harvest a severance package, or something?

If it were me, I'd probably just say screw it, shut down eq2u and walk away from all the dysfunction.

However, I recognize you're not that ruthless, Feldon, so an email blast is definately a kinder alternative. I say send the sucker :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

Without EQ2 Wire, EQ2 would have died a long time ago. Your contributions to the community cannot be overstated.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  8. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

Truth. I'm the petty type though, and I say burn the fugger to the ground. Take down EQ2U for a chunk of time, and see how many returning or new players are able to figure anything out....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Don't nuke the forums because I like y'all and one of the many things that this year has done is make me not like people.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I wouldn't see shutting eq2u down as petty, more like ending an abusive relationship.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I'm grateful you've kept the forums open here. Without EQ2WIRE (the entire site), not that many new players are going to EQ2, but the few that do will for sure be confused and probably give up and take their money elsewhere.

LOTRO suffers from that to some degree. I've been playing it since the beginning, but intermittently, so I have to look a lot of stuff up. Just yesterday I tried to find current information on how the prestige kinship house storage works/expanding it. The information on the official LOTRO help wiki is out of date. All the fan sites that still exist are out of date. No current forum threads. I gave up and logged off - now I'm not paying - lifetime sub. But if I was paying? That would make me take my money elsewhere (not being able to get up to date information about the game).

12. Feldon

I really hoped that Rift or some other game would have a robust API and sufficient complexity to benefit from a site like mine. I reached out to them and talked to Brasse but they were already down to 3 programmers at that time and just did not remotely have the bandwidth for such a project.

Pantheon isn't going to have an API, at least at first, and the "uphill both ways" mindset isn't really conducive to one.
    Maybe Ashes of Creation?
    It'd be a bummer if EQ2U went away that's for sure. And people have donated bigly to keep it going.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Arazons

Arazons Member

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

15. Feldon

The environment and character art are always spectacular. However they're in service to content that is rushed and cookie cutter. Whenever EQ2 closes, some game teams out there are going to pickup some fantastic artists.

Yes I know I'm replying to a comment from the OF here (where the person can't read it) because I'm banned. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if AoC allowed an API to tap their census. They're real sensitive about the pvp aspect of the game, so they're not even going to allow mods.

You never know, though. Half the staff over there are former eq franchise peeps, so they'll be familiar with eq2u, and I'm sure you know some of them.

I mean, there might be some cool wrinkles that might be interesting for you, helpful for them, and fun for players.

17. Feldon

PvP that can't be opted out of. PvP preventing people from having mods. PvP impacting all aspects of the game.

*insert Conan WHYYYY meme*

I've talked to Jeff on Facebook before. I'll give them a jingle.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, I really believe their flagging system is going to work better than the easily exploitable on-off button.

We'll see. Once that game goes live, I'm gonna roll the juiciest pk tank I can roll, pop my flag, and see how things go over the span of a couple of weeks.

That game is just too interesting and innovative for me not to try it out :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Well, the EQ1 expansion launch is going exactly as expected.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  20. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

You mean much like the Chicago Cubs fan comparing the launch to his team's performance.:p

Maybe i can go one better. Expecting Caith to fix the ranger Class is like hoping for the Cincinnati Bengals to win the Superbowl.;)

• Agree Agree x 1