1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Producer's Letter: Expansion 17, Beta and Preorders!

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Reason why it HAD to be? Almost certainly not.
    Reason why it WAS.... well, all we can do is speculate because they were certainly never tell us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Laziness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I sorta suspect they didn't want to be accused of manufacturing yet another stat. Naturally, an excellent solution is to create the new stat, but disguise it as an old stat, because...

This got me to thinking, would people really care if combat was reduced to a handful of offensive and defensive values?

Get rid of multi attack, flurry, fervor, resolve, ability mod, double cast, pierce, effectiveness, potency, etc. Do the same thing with defensive stats, and get rid of all the stupid adornments.

Just boil everything down to base values, keep crit, and squish mob hit points down to non-ridiculous levels.

Seems to me, the fun is found by defeating challenging encounters, and one doesn't need 75 stats and a new one plopped on to the pile every 2-3 years to have fun.

Just seems like it would be better to declutter the game, and get back to story telling, puzzles, and interesting encounters.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Fuli, you're dead on. Stat proliferation is one of the things that eventually drove me out of the game. No telling how many others are in the same boat, but I suspect it's pretty significant.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Well I pretty much gave up back when adornments first showed up and I found myself needing a spreadsheet just to keep track of my gear. And they've added a shedload of junk since then so I'd expect that they dropped a bunch of players with each new convoluted mechanic they introduced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I think stat and number bloat is the biggest issue plaguing the game right now aside from the pay to win nonsense. I really dislike not being able to just glance at gear and tell whether it's an upgrade or not. There are like, what, 20+ stats in the game now? It's ridiculous.

And that's not even considering other stuff like adornments, reforging, and infusion which all make a difference on whether a piece of gear is an upgrade or not.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I hate the stat bloat. To me it's immersion-breaking which is a big deal in a fantasy-based online world. I mean I just can't understand how a random grimling underboss on Luclin is literally 1,000,000 times more powerful than Vox and Nagafen. Maybe it's a silly way of looking at things but it's always bothered me. Plus the way the system has evolved just shows a complete lack of a coherent development plan. "Just increase every stat and cap by 30%" It's all we seen for years.

• Agree Agree x 7
  8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I don't recall anyone complaining during KoS, EoF, or Kunark for having item examine windows with "too few" stats. I think a lot of people consider this the golden age of EQ2. Potency was introduced as an item stat with the Bloodthirsty Choker in May 2008.

Not being able to glance at an item examine window and tell what's an upgrade due to the proliferation of stats and inaccurate spell descriptions, and then piling Infusion and Reforging on top of that is why I quit playing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Feldon

Player power used to grow maybe 200-300% per year. Now it's what? 20-40 times per year?

10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The continual piling on of stats and their related mechanics is (imo) a lackluster attempt to compensate for an utter absence of creativity.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I know this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison because training dummies don't have combat mitigation and all that, but I am messing around on beta and with a full set of refined mastercrafted gear I was parsing 180 billion DPS on a training dummy. That is, my toon was doing 180,519,939,879 damage every second for 90 seconds. It's honestly incomprehensible.

Edit - this amount of damage in one second is probably enough to kill every single enemy, combined and at once, up through Terrors of Thalumbra.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Adding a new stat or increasing X by Y% via variable script parameters is a very poor substitute for real content. Almost as bad as Overseers ... :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I wouldn't disagree with you. I finally levelled my main to 100 recently and was gobsmacked at the ridiculous power increase that that magic number provides. She can pretty much one shot any solo content below that level - if her merc doesn't get to it first to do likewise. And between them I'm pretty sure the heroic content is going to go down just as fast if I could be bothered to do it.

I've been running Vigilent: Rescue to farm the house items and Evania clears the first 3 rooms before I can move my hands from movement keys to combat keys. In contrast I was doing the same thing on a level 95-99 with Kenny and I still had to pay attention. Then they hit 100 too ... and I haven't even gone to pick up the panda gear yet!

14. Cheggers

Cheggers New Member

It's certainly one of the factors that led to me quitting Live during AoM. Reforging meant getting any upgrades was a pain in the butt since unless it exactly matched the stat profile of what it was replacing, I'd have to reset everything and juggle around all the stats again. God forbid you might want/need to carry extra gear to swap out for certain situations. I can't even imagine how much worse it got with things like infusing and ascension.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

Per DW on the official forums, the new expansion goes live in two weeks.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  16. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Well, they're going to be neck deep in it then with EQ1 in a week and 2 in two weeks.

17. Feldon

It's official.

Emperor Ssraeshza, his zealots, & minions have laid claim to the ancient citadel of Vex Thal. The march of the shissar must end there, deep within the heart of the dark side of Luclin. Reign of Shadows launches December 15, 2020! Arm thyselves!

everquest2-reignofshadows-dec15.png

18. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

from Caith on the EQ2 Forums:

Itemization
    Going into Reign of Shadows we’ve refactored the item stat layouts to balance the stats granted by each tier of equipment to get to the appropriate levels of those stats that the content is balanced around. For some stats such as DPS and Flurry which are on opposing specs of the same item slots, that means you will need to make a decision of which stat you will go after by choosing one piece of gear or the other. For stats such as Casting Speed, Reuse, and Haste, where we want you to be able to get to 100%, you will still need to pick the correct specific pieces of gear to meet those values from itemization alone. For some other stats such as Accuracy and Strikethrough, you will not find them on gear as they have been reserved for Adornments.

Code:
    Slot         Spec
    Chest        cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Modifier
    Chest        melee  DPS            Weapon Damage
    Chest        mit    Max Health     Mitigation Increase
    Legs         cast   Casting Speed  Reuse Speed
    Legs         melee  Haste          Weapon Damage
    Legs         mit    Max Health     Mitigation Increase
    Feet         cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    Feet         melee  Haste          Multi Attack
    Feet         mit    AE Autoattack  Block
    Forearms     cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Modifier
    Forearms     melee  DPS            Multi Attack
    Forearms     mit    Block          Mitigation Increase
    Hands        cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    Hands        melee  DPS            AE Autoattack
    Hands        mit    Multi Attack   Block
    Head         cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Doubleattack
    Head         melee  DPS            Flurry
    Head         mit    AE Autoattack  Block
    Shoulders    cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    Shoulders    melee  Haste          Weapon Damage
    Shoulders    mit    Max Health     Mitigation Increase

1H Primary   cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    1H Primary   melee  DPS            Haste        
    1H Primary   mit    Block          Mitigation Increase
    Secondary    cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    Secondary    melee  Multi Attack   Weapon Damage
    Secondary    mit    Max Health     Reuse Speed
    Towershield  cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    Towershield  melee  Multi Attack   Weapon Damage
    Towershield  mit    Max Health     Block
    Ranged       cast   Casting Speed  Reuse Speed
    Ranged       melee  AE Autoattack  DPS        
    Ranged       mit    Weapon Damage  Max Health  
    2H Primary   cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier
    2H Primary   melee  DPS            Haste        
    2H Primary   mit    Multi Attack   Max Health  

Charm        cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance
    Charm        melee  Haste          Flurry                Crit Chance
    Charm        mit    Multi Attack   Block                 Crit Chance
    Ear          cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Modifier      Resistances  Skills
    Ear          melee  AE Autoattack  Haste                 Resistances  Skills
    Ear          mit    Multi Attack   Mitigation Increase   Resistances  Skills
    Finger       cast   Casting Speed  Reuse Speed           Resistances  Skills
    Finger       melee  Haste          Weapon Damage         Resistances  Skills
    Finger       mit    Max Health     Block                 Resistances  Skills
    Wrist        cast   Casting Speed  Ability Modifier      Resistances  Skills
    Wrist        melee  DPS            Multi Attack          Resistances  Skills
    Wrist        mit    Max Health     Mitigation Increase   Resistances  Skills
    Cloak        cast   Ab Modifier    Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance  Skills
    Cloak        melee  Weapon Damage  Flurry                Crit Chance  Skills
    Cloak        mit    Max Health     Mitigation Increase   Crit Chance  Skills
    Neck         cast   Casting Speed  Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance  Skills
    Neck         melee  AE Autoattack  Flurry                Crit Chance  Skills
    Neck         mit    Ab Modifier    Mitigation Increase   Crit Chance  Skills
    Waist        cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance  Skills
    Waist        melee  AE Autoattack  Flurry                Crit Chance  Skills
    Waist        mit    Casting Speed  Mitigation Increase   Crit Chance  Skills
    Accolade 1   cast   Ab Modifier    Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 1   melee  Weapon Damage  Flurry                Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 1   mit    Max Health     Mitigation Increase   Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 2   cast   Casting Speed  Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 2   melee  AE Autoattack  Flurry                Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 2   mit    Ab Modifier    Mitigation Increase   Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 3   cast   Reuse Speed    Ability Doubleattack  Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 3   melee  Haste          Flurry                Crit Chance  Resistances
    Accolade 3   mit    Casting Speed  Mitigation Increase   Crit Chance  Resistances

Reforging

The reason for the changes to itemization layouts are essentially the same for the update to reforging. Being able to cap any stat simply by adding it to any item at will completely invalidates the need to make choices. It also leads to systematic issues where the balance for a stat is based around it being available at a certain amount. The intention of reforging is to give some use to a stat on an item that you otherwise would not have any use for, and thus it can be used to convert an unwanted stat into one of the universal stats of Ability Modifier, Crit Bonus, and Potency.

DPS Lerp

The DPS stat curve was last updated in 2013 with a flat damage multiplier at values above 2300 DPS. While this was functional when auto-attack was a marginal overall damage output, once auto-attack was re-factored into a much larger percentage of overall fight damage this curve needed to be updated to take higher stat levels into account.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2020
  19. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

First i thought it is a joke. 2 weeks before expansion start, and we have like 10 classes more or less working.

Tanks: Guardians/Zerks/Monks, Chanter: Illy, Priests: Inqui/Fury, DDs: Assassin, Wizzy, Warlock (despite the nerf) and partly Necros and Bards.

Considering Caith hasn't changed /updated anything AA or class balance related in the first 3 weeks of Beta, that's going to be tough.

Massively reported Daybreak being sold to EG7 or so.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  20. Feldon

Thanks to Lemilla for reformatting this. I also reformatted it up in Errrorr's post.

eq2-reign-of-shadows-itemization-lemilla.png