1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

"Looking For Group" Feature Suggestions

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Too late.

If they want to fix it, they'll need to either make it only apply to basic/simple zones, or enforce specific group setups that will lead to the highest chance of success.

They also need to massively incentivise it or nobody will bother.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. LuranEQ2

LuranEQ2 Member

Hasn't their modus operandi for the past... many years been to say that anything players suggest is too complicated to implement for nebulous, unexplained reasons? How is anyone supposed to know what qualifies as within the unknown limitations?

And to echo Errrorr... Too late to matter.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

That is just a typical EQ2 dev excuse when customers comes up with better thought out ideas then the devs.

Edit: After a cup of coffee, I remember the first and only time I used the Dungeon Finder. On the day it came out we wanted to test it and made a full group and choose the dungeon we wanted to enter. We thought it could be a nice tool so we didn't have to run to the dungeon. Well, we all ended up in different instances.. with 30 minute lockout timers that we had to wait to expire.

That's the only time I used it. A few others in my guild tried it some more, and everytime they had some type of premade they ended up in different instances. No idea if that bug ever got fixed.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

I used it a few times.. the most memorable was when the tank had less hitpoints than everybody else in the group.. and wouldn't taunt.
    If I warded the tank on pull, I died from healer aggro, if I didn't, I died after he died. He absolutely refused to take advice. Needless to say, we abadonned the zone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

If they dont intend to make a cross server LFG tool for group content this is another giant waste of time. No one has ever used the LFG tool and if they had, they must have played the game for the first time.

No one even needs to group with anyone until they are max level either so whats the point of the tool even?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Feldon

I don't think people fully grasp what cross-server entails. This is what Battlegrounds did:
    • Make a copy of your character from Live to the BG world server.
    • Temporarily suspend your character on Live.
    • Spawn your character on BG.
    • Let you engage in combat, but without access to the Marketplace, Bank, Broker, Guild, Trades, etc.*
    • When you win/lose, perform a Diff of your BG character copy vs. your Live copy and merge the differences between the two copies.
    • Delete your BG character copy.
    Now imagine doing this with groups.

* All these restrictions are necessary to prevent item dupes that would otherwise occur in the Diff step.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's why x-server is never going to happen, and why this lfg project is a waste if time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. LuranEQ2

LuranEQ2 Member

Didn't people still dupe items?

And at this point, aren't most populations questionable enough to just merge into a mega server and call it done? It'd probably lag to hell but it does that now anyway, arguably the players are used to it. And the dev attitude would be "working as intended" anyway...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Feldon

You're telling me there aren't 6 people (including alts) available for a group at all times on each server?

11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Feldon

So 9 years of having no way to meaningfully PUG has finally killed off non-guild grouping and it's too late?

13. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Well, BoL is even worse than past expacs. There is NOTHING you can work towards this expac. Absolutely everything is an RNG crap shot.
    The gear in solos is the same as the sig line gear. The gear on the merchants is WORSE than the sig line gear.
    Crafted gear is absolute trash, so there's no reason to harvest...

I cannot even pretend to comprehend why anybody would think any part of this expac is 'well done' and calling it the most 'casual friendly' ever is beyond the pale.

I've been 'sheltering in place' for over a month now and there is NO REASON for me to log in. Facing a massive lack of control in real life, the last thing I want is a game that gives me no nothing to work towards.. nothing I can look at and see progress. RNG is a complete lack of control as well. Why would I want that in my game, ESPECIALLY right now?

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
  14. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

DB migrations were supposed to help with this by having a mega DB server.

Anyway, Feldon, I think while your document is well thought out, the more criteria you can set for creating a group, the less chance there is of a group actually ever being made. At which point people are just going to group with who they know like they do now.

I think EQ2's design and low population work against making such tools useful due to class synergies, required abilities for certain dungeons, and now all of the Stat ****ery that's going on.

It's nice that they want to show the LFG tool some love (note they're talking about LFG, not dungeon finder), but the ship sailed for it long ago and it's a waste of developer time at this point IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Ok, come on. The bestest ever grouping tool on the planet isn't going to be able to identify and weed out that problem! :D

16. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

True.. but massively under-geared should be noticable by a decent grouping tool.

17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

FFXIV has iLevel requirements for dungeons and whatnots. And it's not impossible to get to with normal play + a little effort (which might include you're own crafting or the AH).

And if The Team has never been able to get the LFG tool to work, and still can't. That sounds like a Them Problem and really, really poor design on their part.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

There are years of comments in response to some of my posts on the OF, and sometimes my posts in response to them, that clearly show a lot of EQ2 players think PUGs are some type of vicious hellscape of trolls and incompetents to be avoided at all costs. So some of them whine for an anonymous match maker to make groups with. Better yet, let's make it cross server. Because that's not PUGs at all.

"If you can't pull your ****ing head out of your guild hall or your ever shrinking ****fest of a friends list to build a group with the lowly scrubs on your server to begin with maybe you don't deserve a *** ****ed group finder. Sit in your hole sucking on your own *** fumes while you watch the game die around you largely in part from your own haughty, vitriolic ***hatery".

Or, at least that's what I might say if I was a dev off his chain...

I have little sympathy for either the player base or the people making the game in this regard, to be honest. Lots of games can pull this sort of thing off. Some of them it helps, some of them it damages. None of them are EQ2. If the game can't do it, stop pretending it can, fess up, and move on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  19. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I found the group finder for DDO worked really well. The one for ESO not so much, mostly because one can build any class to serve any role.

Really, the best way to get groups is to get out and meet people and build a friends list. Group finders can be helpful for people who are new to a game, but at the end if the day, people gotta go out and make friends.

What's perplexing about this project is group finders are primarily a casuals and newbies tool, but EQ2 has stripped out most of the casual content and loaded progression down with their stupid gating mechanics.

This project is a waste if time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

They should put in server subforums instead of trying to get the LFG tool to work. A place that folks from the same server can go and post requests for help, offer to help, organize raids for old content for things like blue fervor runes, p/u raids, p/u groups, whatever. There's no sense of community outside of gen chat and gen chat is a **** show. Most of the time I don't even turn it on unless I'm giving something away and nobody in /auction wants it.

Class forums are dead as well because they should have one for each class not archetype. It's the same on the EQ1 forums and most of the old class sites are dead. I've thought about trying to breathe some life back into the Shaman and Nec boards for EQ1 but I honestly just don't have the time to maintain it properly.

EQ2 is extremely clique centric, server wise, it happens when you get the same folks playing day in and day out for years on end. It turns a lot of folks off. I could give a ratonga's ass myself but I know the feeling of being "disregarded" when asking for help because the gen chat thot is textually shaking their ass or the resident troll is stirring up the masses by forcing real world politics into fantasy world chat. Forums, for the most part, tend to filter that out.

• Agree Agree x 1