1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Ooh dear ...

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Tkia, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Kinda surprised at people poo-pooing this. Dev communication is something I've been bitching about for years. The last Kander podcast was on EQ2Wire. We talked for like an hour. He also did shows for EQ2Talk.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

For me, I appreciate the podcast, but I'm no longer willing to take what some of the dev's say at face value since they've 'misled' is so often.
    Heck, the comment about removing the level information being a bug... they stated in the forums that it was removed 'because it caused problems' and stated that it was NOT a bug. That alone makes me concerned about how much of what is said is truth and how much is what they think we want to hear.

At this point, I'm willing to wait and see, but not to hold my breath.
    I will also freely concede that some of my pessimism is contributed to by the general 'state of the world' right now affecting my mood.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

It's not that I don't appreciate the communication, it's that after years of attitude, broken promises and outright lies, they're going to have to make good on stuff, and not just more of the same in a different format (podcast).

This is a good start, and I really hope for the customers that it's not just more smoke and mirrors.

(I know I tend toward cynicism and mistrust, but they've earned it.)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

More communication is definitely a good thing, but I'm worried that it's just going to be a lot of talk and not a lot of action. It's easy to say they're going to fix class balance and improve the AA system, but that's a lot of work and it's not going to be easy to get it right.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

This. They gotta work really hard and consistently to get me back.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I don't think they can get me back at this point. If the game was sold, perhaps, I would consider coming back to EQ2. I've lost all faith in the company. I can't see myself supporting DBG even if I want to play some of their titles.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  7. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

They could win me back for TLE if they fix the terrible balance and itemization, but for live I dunno. It would take a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I listened to both podcasts. It seems they lost a major art guy that really messed up their schedule for BoL.
    I wonder who it was.

Also they say they are going to release a western themed zone in the next GU made by Chrol, apparently he has some sort of creative mind, he was the mastermind behind that cow zone for that Shard of Hate (Udder Contempt).

I always like to give them the benefit of the doubt after a management change, you can call me gullible if you like though.

Dreamweavers voice was not what I pictured when I first heard, it is the gap between screen and reality I guess.
    I don't exactly know what I was expecting though.

They say it takes them months to make a quest line, I reckon they should get someone to make them some proper tools for it seriously, that is just silly.

Also, the art from LoN is being used with the overseers.

I'm happier with more communication from the devs and it is a good step forward, appreciated. Let us see what comes to fruition.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

This is an abusive relationship and I can't say anything because I still haven't stopped autopay even though all i do at this point is send overseers out.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

If the ONLY thing, ever, to do in 'new' expac is to mindlessly run the same zones over and over and over and over... that will be the end of EQ2 for me.
    Heck, I don't run solos this expac because the gear isn't even worth giving to alts.
    There's nothing to spend the currency on and my regular group barely does enough heroics to get the weeklies done.

The very idea of calling overseers 'content' is a joke. Match icons, click start. Log back in when they're ready and hope you got something that is at least remotely useful. There is essentially zero interaction, no sense of achievement or anything.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I don't trust this company (at all), but I'm willing to give Jen the benefit if the doubt and have been encouraged by the changes since she took over.

Given existing resources, It's doubtful EQ2 will ever offer enough enjoyment to bring back as a customer, but, I'm hopeful that this design team will start treating customers better. If that happens, my crusade against dishonesty and customer exploitation will be over.

Time and behavior will reveal reality. If this seemingly new attitude is just bullshit, I'll continue to hammer them for it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Communication doesn't mean a lot unless they back it up with actions.

If they carry on doing the same stuff as past 5 years, the communication means nothing and if anything is just making it worse.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

So far there has been a positive reception of the podcast. Kander's admittance of the state of the Luclin helped even more.
    The other thing i have seen is and i don't know if Kander realized this when making the comment. But he stirred up some S..t when said Overseer Mission (sort of) replace quests on Live server.
    The echo through all play styles whether casual, solo or High end Player/raider is that this game doesn't need overseer mission but proper content/quests on the live server.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

If their intention is to replace actual quests/meaningful content with the overseer feature, then they may as well shut the game down right now.

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You nailed it right smack dab in the middle of the issue.

I suspect that given an absence of content for people to consume, Kander and Longdale were desperate to find a way to keep people logging in, paying subs, and hopefully, finding their way to the shop. Thus, overseer missions.

This goes back to a long-standing gripe I've had ever since Longdale was promoted: people purchase game content to have fun, not to transact with stupid little manipulations and gimmicks.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Feldon

The hilarious thing about Daybreak is, if THAT is really the intention, then the sexiest part of the EverQuest2.com website should be a page documenting the Overseer system and specific ones you can buy and what they do. And making this data available in Census seems a no brainer. They were shocked when I reached out to them about the Marketplace and getting that onto EQ2U. I got nice e-mails from Georgeson and Smedley about that one.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Right now I'm playing GW2 and CoH on the Homecoming servers. The level of documentation from the teams running those games compared to what I've looked at from EQ2 over the last couple of years should be embarrassing to the EQ2 staff. Homecoming is literally being supported by donations and staffed by volunteers and they're easily being more accountable. Heck, I still check in on Istaria (formerly Horizons) from time to time and they're doing better. That game is essentially being ran by fans out of their garage (a bit of an exaggeration). The only 'professional' game I can think of off the top of my head that is equal to or worse than EQ2 is Champions.

Perhaps a difference between a game like EQ2 at this point and the Homecoming servers is that the people who are working on the Homecoming servers clearly love the game and the fans playing. It's evident in almost everything they do. To some extent the same could be said of many gams out there, and I believe could have been said of EQ2 at one time. I don't think an singular podcast with a couple of episodes when contrasted by the last few years of what we've seen in practice is enough to convince me that the EQ2 staff loves their game or their players. That is not something to be assumed, it's something to be displayed. So I'm not moved by this. Maybe another step would be to stop using discord as a dictatorial gate between themselves an the people who they want to give money to them? I don't know. They have a lot to make up for.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Feldon

I apologize if I gave the impression that a few podcasts undoes 5 years of open hostility towards customers. It does not.

Also he's talking about starting up a new Player Council. Having been in the Summit and Community Council, flown out to Las Vegas, wined and dined, taken to Cirque du Soleil shows, and then having my feedback ignored, and then seeing the same thing on a smaller scale with the EQ2-specific Area 51, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about as far as players having "undue influence" on this team. They're gonna do what they're gonna do. I'm sure this satisfies a middle management directive.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Can confirm player council is 100% useless.

In the past 5 years of being in it, there has been 1 thread (yes, 1), that the Dev team have asked for opinions on. [And ironically 3 threads telling players to calm down in public]

Multiple people have put detailed threads up in there, or have voiced concerns/requests the community have, and the majority were ignored (Although Credit to Chrol/Jamiss/Gninja who did often respond to some things in their areas).

Players have 0 influence on this game, and unless Kander is removed as the lead designer, that will not change.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
  20. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Chrol is awesome. I know he's rubbed some people the wrong way on the official forums recently because of how he responded to some bugs (basically being jokey, or not being 100% certain if they would be fixed), but I always liked the perspective he brought to dungeon and encounter design and would like to see him design a raid encounter or something sometime. With the other designers you sometimes get the feeling that they've boxed themselves in to a particular way of thinking and that they're just going through the motions with their encounter design and copying and pasting various parts to form a whole.

• Agree Agree x 5