1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Bimonthly Patches?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Some cracks?

They're still not fully hearing we're trying to get folks to hear. They remain beside themselves with disbelief that the kind of game they like to play (which also happens to possess the most conflicts with shop revenue) is being phased out.

At first, I thought: why did Longdale put up all the time, energy, and money to produce absolutely 100% useless content? I mean, conceivably, those are resources that could have gone toward making the parts of the game being kept of better quality, right?

But.....bubble gnomes. Not only have they bought the dlc, but now they're sitting there posting a sub fee each month (and probably spending money in the shop) while holding out hope that all this was just a big mistake or bad judgment, and that if they bitch loud enough surely the team will come around and make things right.

They're (well, crafters in general) being played, which is somewhat amusing since folks like me who were frustrated by the lack of overland content, the trimming down of heroic content, and the shop coercion were lectured by said BG's to stop complaining.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Seems like we are getting our second patch this week.

Nerf to charm and a host of raid fixes.
    I just hope they give a little back to charm rather than smashing it with a sledgehammer like they usually do.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Jamiss left the company a while ago. You'll still see Bunji post around on the forums occasionally -- I'm not sure if he's still doing build master stuff though.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  5. Dano84

Dano84 Active Member

Kander gave some insight on Discord yesterday:

I don't understand spreading out the remaining workforce when you have not enough people. Instead of working NOW on current issues and the backlog they started with the expansion launching at the end of 2021........

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

I don't understand not using the OF to parlay this information. I don't even know what discord is other than what's been sowed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

kander-discord20201.png

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
  8. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

As Professor Frink would say "good glavin." Always with the excuses. Just more of the same. Amazingly well? Hah! Good one. The only honest thing Holly said in one of her interviews was that she was trying to grin and bear it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

1. Some programmers quit.
    2. Lie about everything.

Edit:
    Let's see....Suppose I'm a Southern, CA gamer dev.

Intrepid (still 30- 50 devs under staffing goals ) :

1. Modern game engine.
    2. Pushing past existing boundaries for both design and engineering.
    3. Managed by a collection of super-experienced devs.
    4. Customer driven.
    5. No "stay in your lane development" - opportunities to learn and grow.

Darkpaw/DBG:
    1. Perhaps the worst reputation in the industry.
    2. An executive producer and lead designer who lie to customers, and probably to staff.
    3. Coercive p2w revenue model.
    4. An outdated and inefficient game engine.
    5. Zero creativity.
    6. Bleak (at best) future.
    7. History of mass layoffs spanning 4 years.

Aside from the volatility of the industry in general, and given that the future of either game is not 100% certain, where are the talented folks willing to tolerate a bit of uncertainty going apply first?

The reputation of the organization proceeds it, and frankly, I'm not convinced "we haven't filled them yet" doesn't really mean "we're not going to fill them".

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
  10. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

1. Fire experinced staff
    2. Can't afford replacements
    3. Hire cheap inexperienced people
    4. Stifle all their ideas due to ego of lead designers
    5. Kill off ambition of flesh blood
    6. Create legion of DPG zombie devs

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

I mean he contradicted himself between the 1st and 2nd response.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

None of that explains the extremely dumb decision to remove level information from harvestables. That's not a lack of workforce issue that's just a terrible design decision by someone who clearly doesn't understand crafting. It's issues like that I find concerning, not BoL being a buggy mess. The buggy mess can be fixed, dumb decisions like removing important information for no reason may not be fixed.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Julesholland

Julesholland New Member

I know that EQ2 has a shed load of problems and bugs which need sorting, but tbh there is not much better out there in the genre, which I know will be disagreed with by some here.... Ashes of Creation is often quoted as the saviour of the genre but it is still a LONG time from general release, so employing all those devs is great but they are not releasing anything I can play....

ATM EQ2 is ok, getting back into playing again after a break shows it is dated and yes fatally flawed, which is why I am not piling money into it, but its OK for a solo player, limited but OK. Ashes of Creation is just a fantasy unless you want to be a tester, which frankly, I don't want to be.

I will probably buy Ashes of Creation when it is a complete game, I have played Final Fantasy (did not like it), WOW was ok as where a few others, but still ended up back at EQ2 for some reason, probably laziness on my behalf.

On the original topic, I am worried about going to bi monthly patches, frankly it shows the lack of work force on the game and I would much rather they get the game working rather than try to invent (and break) new stuff, like Overseers and shadow harvesting, but over all, its cheap to play if you don't do the market place, a few quid a month... I can live with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Eh, this just means some of the designers are doing lore and other high level stuff so that the artists have something to work on. Different parts of development happen at different times, if they want to release at the end of the year like always (which is another argument entirely) they have to get the basics in place first.

• Informative Informative x 4
  15. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Out of curiosity, what other MMOs have you played (and when)? And when you say genre, do you mean a high/low fantasy title, or MMOs?

Of those games, how is EQ2 objectively (stability, quality and quantity of content, cash shop, lotto/P2W) better than those titles?

And no, despite my (well deserved?) reputation, I'm not trying to put your back up. I'm genuinely curious how people qualify and quantify their gameplay experience and expectations, and how 'feel goods' or 'the devil you know' versus an actual quality experience in a game that is 'unfamiliar' and 'different' play into it.

In a lot of these conversations, I've found that a person will declare a game 'bad' or 'not as good as EQ2' just because it wasn't what they were used to, and they didn't/didn't want to invest the time in a new game, so they settled and convinced themselves it was better. YMMV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Ashes of Creation isn't even on my radar, to be honest. Neither is Pantheon. I'm more looking forward to Ship of Heroes and Camelot Unchained (though Mark has tried my patience lately). But that's the thing, there is no one game for everyone and every game that has tried to be that has fallen short. Different people have different preferences. That's the same reason why there won't be one game to 'save the genre'. When WoW exploded it didn't do it in a vacuum.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

To be fair, they never said they thought it was objectively better. There are plenty of games that I know are objectively better than EQ2, just as I did with FFXI (****, I left WoW for FFXI) but they still lack qualities that ultimately hook me in the way that EQ2 once did (though, part of that is now that I'm older and more familiar with the genre so I'm more difficult to hook in the first place -- but even back when I first fell in love with EQ2 there were plenty of games that I felt were better). If the low level game hadn't been so severely ****ed by all of the system changes crashing into each other I might still be interested in the game today, but I can still see why people would prefer it to other choices. Like how I might prefer home cooking that I know is objectively worse than a well-prepared restaurant meal but it hits a certain part of my brain and taste buds just right.

Your point is still valid too mind you, sometimes people are just too invested in their characters or their in-game relationships to move on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Personally, I found in ESO what was not only taken away from EQ2, but vastly improved upon.

The controls took some getting used to, but once I got the ole' muscle memory re-calibrated, they didn't bother me at all. In fact, I found freeing up the mouse for active skills like block, tumble, light attack, heavy attack, etc and having them be necessary to defeat encounters was a lot of fun. It actually made me realize how boring eq2 combat really is.

I would come back to eq2 though, if by divine intervention, the following happened:

1. Revert back to the old world, including the hamlets.
    2. Get rid of guild halls, or at the very least, limit amenities to maybe zone portals.
    3. Get rid of all the junk stats that have been piled on: potency, resolve, fervor, flurry, etc. Go back to the old school stats.
    4. Crunch mob hp's, etc.
    5. Eliminate adornments.
    6. Move crafting back into crafting halls.
    7. Get rid of the all the rest of the p2w garbage: ascensions, familiars, mercs, etc

Basically I want the old game. Some of the most fun I had in the game was just running quest lines with a healer friend, or getting a guild group together for hq's like "Reaching Blade of The Assasin" (? - the little guy on the beach in EL), crawling contested zones, etc

THAT was fun.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Correct. That's how come I ask questions. What - objectively - they believe makes EQ2 better, and why? And what - in their opinion - makes EQ2 better, or at least the game that they come back to?

Is it a concrete thing? Or just the familiarity of EQ2? Or EQ2 has more holiday events and (at one time) offered the only real, and later (but no longer) the most robust housing system?

Do people actually LIKE the stat bloat and obfuscated stat mechanics?

I like to poke into people's brains and wiggle my fingers around before I eat them. I mean. To see how they think. That's what I meant.

Your ugly Christmas sweater might be the most comfortable garment woven by the hands of angels and delivered to earth on a golden cloud, but it's still hideous.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1