1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Crafting is well and truely ****** in BoL

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Mermut, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I replied:

Flavor text can be added to specific harvestables to address situations like this. If new T13 or T14 materials needed to be created to avoid confusion, that would make sense as well. Removing the descriptive text from 13 tiers of materials covering 15 years of content because of a few tier-straddling recipes is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and making EQ2 even more undocumented and harder to play and understand. EQ2U will not be reflecting this change.​

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Feldon

If I were a dev, I would be embarrassed that players must load their character on EQ2U to see Reforged, Experimented, Refined, and Infused stats correctly.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. Benito

Benito Banned

We all agree the EQ1/EQ2 teams have been tight on labor and resources for the past couple years.

We don't know exactly how much time and labor they put into setting levels for harvest mats. Perhaps, they did a cost-benefit analysis? Did it take an egregious amount of time away from other content? Does it affect the game in other ways (i.e. clutter, slows down performance with global file checks)?

By getting player (or third party) sites to take on a greater role* in the game (yes, outsourcing is often a nasty word), will the dev team be able to focus more on tangible content?

*People having been asking for years on how they can contribute to EQ2.

4. Feldon

If the goal is to offload this work to third-party sites, then when can I expect Overseer, Familiar, Mount Armor, Planar Weapon, and complete Mercenary data in Census?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Benito

Benito Banned

Didn't you say you have an iffy history with the EQ2 team?

I'll use EQ1's culture as a comparison. The devs frequently share pertinent values (SPA, stat calculations/formulas) and keep other information privileged (spawn RNG unless defining a bug, drop rates, loot box probabilities). There's hardly an outcry in EQ1 for a lack of transparency. Players have taken the information given and run with it (but never really complained about the unknowns). The devs can apportion information on a need-to-know basis.

6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Customers DO have a need to know... why supply tool tips if they are gonna be wrong? And if you DONT supply them, offer something or your game is so user-unfriendly that only those who thrive in that sort of game will play it for long.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Wrong reply area :oops:

I meant to reply to Benito and realized I was replying to Feldon lol :p. I was having a senior moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  8. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

In my honest opinion, many of these games and specifically, EQ and EQ2 owe so much to their fan sites and community support. EQ2 more now than ever. These gracious people, i.e. Feldon, don't receive any payment from these companies for providing this level of support to the community (only from grateful users of their sites and that is not mandatory).

• Agree Agree x 9
  9. Benito

Benito Banned

Information can be supplied on a need-to-know basis. Not everybody needs to be an open book.

EQ1 is thriving even though the devs are not fully transparent (spawn rates, drop rates, loot box probabilities).

10. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I remember when getting that information on the mats in the first place was a huge victory for crafters.

Sheesh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Feldon

Familiars and Mercenaries is something the EQ2 devs literally want us to spend money on. Withholding player data here works counter to that goal.
    Inaccurate tooltips are, at best, a bug, at worst, lying.
    Once again you're trying to attribute to master strategy what can be explained by lack of time or poor planning.
    This is EQ2, not EQ1. EQ2 has always been very accessible. EQ1 has always been hardcore and inaccessible. Don't try to turnone into the other. You won't pickup EQ1 customers -- you'll only lose EQ2 customers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

EQ2's master strategy of the devs intentionally making decisions that the community doesn't like has really worked out well for them these last few years.

• Agree Agree x 12
  13. Feldon

On EQ2U, it's procedurally generated.
    Code:
    if($item->flags['harvestable']['value'] == '1') {
      echo '<div class="itemd_desc" style="color:#94fffe;">This raw harvest looks as if it could be used for crafting level '.$item->itemlevel.'-'.($item->itemlevel + 9).' items.</div>';
    }

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I think this can apply, on some level, to pretty much every game that has any sort of player choice, whether it's a single player RPG or an MMO.

EQ2 has always been especially reliant on fansite support, moreso than it's contemporaries, to the point where it's become integral to player performance, and they take for granted the information provided. What would happen if EQ2U went offline today? How long would it take for someone else to pick up that burden - would anyone else pick it up? Lets say someone had the drive and skill to do so, for argument's sake - How long would it take to get the site up and running, to get all of the information sorted and whatnots?

What would the players do in the meantime?

EQ and EQ2 are different games with different systems and mechanics, it's ridiculous to hold the two up as 'same same' and compare them as if they are equivalent.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

20 years ago there was no Youtube. There was no Reddit or chan boards willing to help you at the cost of a piece of your soul. Search engines were mostly junk. If you wanted information on a game you went to their official forums and/or searched for fan sites. Maybe you'd get lucky in a trash fire like VN/IGN. Most likely something like Alakazam or DAoC Catacombs was often your best hope to find help. I don't believe this was just because the devs were slackers or meanie heads. Everything has evolved since then. Even SOE got sort of better over time. Games can script dropping a ton of information, probably too much in some cases, right in your lap. Even though EQ2 is an antique at this point players shouldn't have to hunt and peck across the internet to sort out what should be trivial information they already have access to.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. Feldon

Oh it's clear that Kander, Caith, and Gninja continue to make design decisions under the expectation that there is an army of fan sites and players willing to spend days on training dummies testing stuff to see which tooltips are merely mistaken while others are outright lying.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  17. Benito

Benito Banned

It’s not so much a conscious design decision but the possibility of fan sites picking up the slack. (EQ2 dev team possibly seeing what the EQ1 community is doing and what the EQ2 community can do).

18. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

That still isn't a good strategy, whether consciously done or not. What if there were no fan sites? Know what I mean?

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Benito

Benito Banned

If people like Niami or Feldon call it quits, other people will take the initiative.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  20. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

They might, but with a game this old, who can say?

• Agree Agree x 2