1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Crafting is well and truely ****** in BoL

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Mermut, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

It's to fix the 3yr old solo food exploit.
    It's a heavy-handed and punitive fix.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

We are the OG. The passionate. The dedicated. And the proud! Grrr….Bark Bark…Grrr.

Oh god it burns. They need new blood.

NO.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

There is one, but I don't think it's super far along. Unfortunately I think the intersection of people who are interested in an EQ2 emulator and people with the technical skills to make it a reality is incredibly low, not to mention all of the data you'd have to recreate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

The EQ1 versions are amazing. I donated a whole lot of money to a couple of them, because, once again, I love the franchise, and I would do the same for someone who had a good working model of EQ2.

5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  6. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I have to give SOE/Daybreak huge credit for tolerating emulators.

Copyright exists to encourage the creative arts. If you stop creating something, make it no longer available, and are no longer able to make money from it, you really aren't being harmed if someone else brings it back. When an MMO shuts down, it's as if a company sold 100,000 copies of a book and one day they all burst into flames, unable to be read anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Why I also play Shadowbane and Warhammer Online at times, both free private server games now as well as a WoW one

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

The law is in an awkward spot thanks to the DMCA (may its sponsors suffer the fleas of a thousand camels). The Library of Congress instituted an exception for preserving MMOs, as in their code, but not necessarily emulations. The ongoing saga of the City of Heroes resurrection may be another step forward in that process.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I've been playing City of Heroes Homecoming casually since it popped up, hm, I guess it's coming up on a year.

So far as anyone knows, NCSoft (may they eternally rot in hell) hasn't issued any shut down orders, and at one point there were rumors of discussion happening between them and the Homecoming team, but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

They've been cleaning up the code, fixing bugs and even adding some new stuff. An advantage they have (and those that got their code from them after 8 years of clean up) is that it's not reverse engineered. It's the live/dev code that accidentally fell of the back of a truck, though I'm not sure when that happened in relation to NCSoft's knife in the back.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

With EQ, the data was going back and forth between people's clients and the servers in the clear (unencrypted), so people had a good starting point. Not so with EQ2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

As I understand how it unfolded, the code was basically what was on their test server when the game sunsetted--so it was not only what was live, it was "live-plus".

The interesting thing with the new rogue servers is that several of them have moved in different directions, both on new features and tweaks and on the bases they started from. This means we've effectively got a "code fork" ongoing between the various servers in operation...it's like the old MUDs/MOOs back in the day in a way. The whole thing really is fascinating to watch.

EDIT: It occurs to me - the MUD/MOO model may be more significant than just diverging features - what if there's eventually a deal where NCSoft says "OK, we'll look the other way on the mechanics, but the IP of characters and settings we'll require a licensing fee"? And the end result is people taking the engine and grafting on new settings, characters, missions, etc.? Now THAT would be something...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

A Note from Kander | EverQuest 2 Forums

Pertinent bit concerning the recent removal of all useful descriptions from harvested materials:

In conclusion, because some of the mats had incorrect levels in their description, they've removed ALL reference to levels on ALL mats rather then correct the wrong ones.

• Informative Informative x 5
  14. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I read that and all I could do was shake my head.

Edit: Actually the whole letter made me shake my head. You know things aren't good when the big K is semi apologizing for the current disaster that is EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 7
  15. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Agreed. It sounds like a BS reason concocted to tell the players after the change was made and because Dreamweaver promised the players a 'reason' for the change if it wasn't going to be reverted.

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

As an ex-army brat used to joke about "There is the right way, the wrong way and the army way... time to check your tonsils, so bend over *as he snaps on a rubber glove up to his shoulders*

DBG seems to do all stuff the Army way...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I think they have truly lost their way and are just feeling their way around in the dark.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

It really does feel like they are trying to slowly trivialize crafting until they just remove it from the game all together. This thing with harvests really blows my mind. Who is making these decisions? Poor Niami must be having a hard time being positive about all of this.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

Looks like my "patch notes" post put a bee in their bonnet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

It's rather obvious that crafting was an afterthought this expac. It is also, at least to me, obvious that they are taking micro-steps to, if not phase it out entirely, at least turn it into something far less than it once was. This is abundantly obvious just from the MC gear this expac.

This is a shame because I have yet to find another game that has as good of a crafting system as EQ2 but without a dedicated and true to the design dev to oversee crafting it will slowly wither.

• Agree Agree x 6