1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Forbes: New ‘EverQuest II’ Expansion ‘Blood of Luclin’ Marks 15 Years With Trip To The Moon

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

New ‘EverQuest II’ Expansion ‘Blood of Luclin’ Marks 15 Years Of Questing With Trip To The Moon

At least I'm not unique in being stonewalled.

Stenography is not journalism.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Lol. This might be the first time I've seen Forbes write an article that says "We just took their word for ir."

• Funny Funny x 6
  3. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

This was entertaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

A lot of content? Where? Doing 15 year old achievements is content?

Please tell me where there is a lot of content.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Lots of content, just nobody to do it with cause game is dead.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Yeah, lots of content, 90% of which is irrelevant.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

There is a bunch content under 90. Once you hit 90 though there is A) not a lot of content and B) what's there is mostly not very good. So if you want to run around doing low level stuff by yourself then yeah, tons of content.

As a side note it still blows my mind how tiny Kunark Ascending is compared to the original Kunark zones. I never noticed how small their expansions got until I played a new one that was placed in older zones.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

KA was the nail in the coffin for me. I mean, I saw where things were headed as ToT unfolded, so I didn't buy KA right away. But, then I thought, "meh, I'll just try it....", so I bought it in March then next year (or there abouts).

Map was tiny. We finished the entire KA HQ in about 30 minutes. The ascension crap immediately pissed me off. And then, there I was on my Paladin shouting for LFG for hours just to run heroics and work my epic stuff. I mean, I was in a good active guild and had a robust friends list, but by that time, pretty much the only time people were logging in was to raid or do slr runs.

After 3 weeks, I cancelled my account.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  9. Adoninilol

Adoninilol Member

I honestly have no idea how people still play on live. Even TLE expansions are pretty small and we run out of things to do rather quickly. But on live.... holy ****.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Sadly this seems to plague older MMOs - at least the ones I've played. If they last long enough, the end game becomes less and less fun, less content, more grind, and more *incentives* (read: forced) to purchase things from the cash shop.

I still enjoy LOTRO, but it's because I'm content to play lower level characters, tradeskill, decorate, and enjoy the festivals. My highest level character isn't very fun to me and she's not anywhere near max level. To me the game gets less and less fun the higher level I get so I just enjoy the lower level and roll a new character every so often.

All of that said, LOTRO is still a lot more fun overall than EQ2 had become for me before I quit 2-3 years ago. For one thing, in EQ2 I felt like I always needed to have at least one character maxed out in level and at least decent "grouping" gear/stats just to be able to do all of the tradeskilling I wanted to do. In LOTRO I know there are things I can't make because of my level but they are not things I need so I can be self-sufficient in tradeskilling without having a max level character. Also the low level game is very vibrant and active. In EQ2 the low level zones were devoid of any other players.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  11. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

See, this is something ESO it its current form does so right--ALL content adjusts to the level of the characters, so there is no such thing as "outleveled" content. Things can be a little rough early on or with bad gear, but by and large if you can get there, you can do it. Unless you're trying to do "end game" content, you can do it at any level just about.

Definitely a big reason I migrated there after finally fleeing Norrath.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I wish I could play it - the controls were too much for me (hand issues).

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

I still quite enjoy EQ2 but it's only because I'm doing all of the above. I haven't bought the last 2 expansions and much as I'd like to re-visit Luclin for old times sake, I really can't face dealing with the broken mechanics of them in order to utilise the new one. So that will be 3 lots of expansion cash they'll be missing from me soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Ah, now this is mostly what stopped me playing it. Some days all I want to do is just be left alone to potter around doing mundane, trivial stuff. When everything scales to your level you can't do that anymore as everything becomes a challenge. On days when I didn't feel up to a challenge I simply didn't log in. Pretty soon I stopped logging in completely.

And then one day when I felt the urge and tried again I discovered that they'd done yet another skiils reset. Since I could not face re-allocating all the points on all the toons yet again I haven't been back since :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I have almost 0 desire to play a game that doesn't allow for some sort of scaling or at least robust mentoring/sidekicking system these days. I see the design of older games as so much waste and it frustrates me.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Two things really won me over with ESO: scaling and the massive volume of content. There's more that I like, and some stuff I don't (trading guilds, for example). But there is always something different and level appropriate for me to do. Never, ever bored in that game.

P.S.

well, three things. I mean, I can't help it. I love breaking into houses and robbing them blind. Can do that for hours :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

B&E along with some of the creative animations for gutting people are amongst the best reasons to play ESO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Adoninilol

Adoninilol Member

I find it humorous their ability to consistently destroy TLE slowly with these live expansions.

First fiery blast was spell doubling on stormhold, useless on FG.

Now timewarp, arguably the best designed button in the game is now worthless on Kaladim making the population further question why bother playing an expansion that has such a deep rooted nostalgia around certain buttons/itemization not being there.

The developers on TLE actually think that 3.3% reuse is somehow = 20 ability mod. It's boggling that they don't understand that the first 50% of reuse is more efficient than the last half. This is also great because troubs can jcap two people full time in EoF. Giving 4 players in your raid full time jcap.

Dirges are also borderline going on useless on TLE at the moment, as percussions added avoidance report is basically the same as adding 10% duration to all beneficial spells (like tank temps!) and jcapping a main tank. Allowing healers to cast heals from further, don't kill the messenger giving more crit for troubs, their casting speed buff gets reuse in SF. The list goes on.

19. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

The zones and quests are actually well done for Blood of Luclin.
    However, there are some, somewhat arbitrary, design decisions that will annoy.

The devs decision to ground every toon until it has finished either the TS or adventure timeline is the biggest. When asked about the 'why' the devs in charge basically said 'shut up and deal'.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  20. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

That decision will almost certainly cost them money. My nostalgia was nudging me towards buying the expansion anyway just so I could go and explore the environment but if they're effectively locking it down to max level characters then there's absolutely no point in buying it. I suspect I won't be the only one but they're so fixated on max level everything that they'll never understand the problem they're creating for themselves.

I suppose I should be thankful they've saved me the dilemma and the money.

• Agree Agree x 8