1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

15 Years of EQ2

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Caam, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Caam

Caam Member

On Saturday, my first (and still main) character had his 15th birthday. It is hard to believe that I've been playing EQ2 for 15 year and even harder to believe that I've been playing for almost 20 total between EQ1 & 2.

I've seen a lot of friends come and go over the years and overall my experience has been quite positive, mostly due to the great folks that I've had the pleasure of playing along with and on the rare occasion meeting at conventions. I've had the great pleasure of meeting and talking with Feldon at a few of the conventions.

I know a lot of you have chosen to move on from the game, but I believe that you still have good memories of the time you had. And if you're still here you at least consider the game some part of your life. I have so many great memories of my time in Norrath that I can't post them all here. But please indulge me if I share a few.

-- While I was playing EQ1 on Druzzil Ro, I was an officer in a guild named Rutabaga Paradox. A bunch of us decided to start playing EQ2 at launch and formed that same guild on EQ2 it was one of the first guilds formed. Over time, I ended up the leader of the guild as others moved on. The guild still exists but everyone who has been a part of it has moved on and last I checked there hasn't been a toon logged on in the guild for a few years. But oh what fun we had.

-- I joined a guild named Despair around 2009. They were one of the most active guilds in the game with over 1000 accounts and over regularly 400 active. We ran 2 raid forces when that was an exception. Around 2011 the guild leaders decided to move to another game and the guild stopped raiding soon after. I took over a guild leader when they left. There are folks still logging into the guild on occasion and I've managed to maintain the guildhall status and tithe (with help from others who came back over time).

-- I've raided in the game almost constantly since 2009. I've been part of several guilds, mostly ones that were casual. In most cases these guilds never made it to the end of the raid content for an expansion before the next expansion came out. One of my most memorable moments is the first time a guild I was with made it to the last fight of an expansion and won. Few guilds managed to do that in the past and I was quite happy to finally get to that point.

I hope others are willing to share some stories. I'm not a DBG plant or anything like that trying to draw stories out of you or have some hidden agenda. I would just like to know if anyone else has managed to make it 15 years along with me and hope maybe they have some good stories to share as well.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I was playing Eq1 (before EQ2) with a guild on Luclin. One of the largest guilds on Luclin back in the day. Casual family guild that raided. Posted it on their guild website for sign ups, outsiders welcome for an equal chance for loot, no matter what guild you were in. A few of their more active members who liked to RP had joined my RP guild I was in and told us about their raids. Our RP guild was so small that we could field one 6 person group at night... IF we were lucky. Our guild leader was a retired successful raid leader who had quit from burnout on raiding and started the RP guild to relax in.

So one night, we were raiding the Plane of Fear, trying the break in. I was told (as all others were told) that if your invis dropped to die right there, don't run to the zone wall where the raid would form up (not matter that much, if your invis dropped you aggroed half the zone anyways). Of course, someone's invis dropped, always happens. And we were prepared to wipe and start over (FD'ers FD at the wall zone, clerics log out at the wall zone and so on). I was a SK, set up for dps, not tanking. (Yeah, deal with it! They did and loved the idea). So I FD'ed and watch for orders. Well, waves of mobs kept coming and killing people off and others laid dead and so on but I noticed a stranger sitting on a horse and spinning around like a loon with a dinging sound coming from him. And as he sat and spinned the mobs (more and more of them) just stood there and drooled... and soon our MT (a tanking SK) stood up and called for assist. We knew to ONLY attack his target and so we did, while the one cleric who hadn't died started rezing people with their rez stick... and still the horse rider sat and spinned and made a dinging sound... and the mobs drooled.

Turned out, he was a raiding geared enchanter who was bored and signed up to go with us... praise Innoruuk, who in His Hatefulness sent that high elf assist us! That was the ONLY time we raided Fear where we didn't truly wipe (though I only died like once or twice out of all the raids we did)! I wish I remembered his name, but I don't but I wont forget his sitting and spinning and casting some AoE mass mez to control half the mobs of Fear to stand over our bodies and drool on us!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Eq2 story. Was in a small RP guild (just 2 of us, GL and myself) and we were doing dungeons with the two of us and 2 mercs. He was a necro, I was a SK. We used a healer merc and I had the mouthy halfbreed monk who thinks its a dragon. We would laugh as being underpowered (not a full group) we would often die against the boss, but the monk would live... and finish off the boss! And the necro would self rez and get his healer back who would rez me. That monk was a better tank than me, just couldn't hold agro worth a darn. We tried using a tank merc, but they were weaker than me at the time... and held agro about as well as the monk!

We might have died a lot, but we had fun and only rarely would the monk die against the boss.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Widem

Widem New Member

My favorite memory of EQ2 was when Desert of Flames released without any itemization and 75% of players quit.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Never played EQ1, but my favourite memory of EQ2 was of the guild I was in decided to do a spontaneous raid against the Windstalker Rumbler (we were all low level then). Problem was, the only ones on were mainly priest classes. Took one HELL of a long time to kill the thing, but no one died, and we were all in fits of laughter because we could all see the absurdity of a full raid of mostly healers. Good times - no min/maxing, no inspecting to see that a character invited to group/raid had all the latest, fully infused, max resolve, gear and kicking them if they didn't. Just an attitude of "great to have you (anyone) in the group; let's go have some fun!"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

RhodrisNZ, I was in a large casual family guild on Luclin in EQ1 (before EQ2) as my RP guild died and I was quickly asked to join them. One day, since I often raided Felwithe to kill the guards for fun and profit (and being an evil DE SK) but I avoided the GMs in there as they would agro. One night I was there and the guild called to me to join them in a run of some sort (as a DPS SK) when one of the others suggested they load up evil toons and help kill a GM in Felwithe! Soon had 3 groups (one group was 2 boxed by a guildie but only fought with one, the other 5 were support and buffers and such) so I warned them about the guard movements and pulled the Paladin GM to the zoneline. Took us about 2 and a half hours to kill him but we had fun and took screenshots and even posted on the guild website long ago.

Two days later or so, there was a game patch... and now the GMs were not targetable nor agroableā€¦ so it died just in time!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

For me in EQ2 it was the Kunark/Shadow Odyssey period. That's when I finally hit cap level for the time and started getting into current content heavily. I was in demand as a crafter, able to get groups with my warlock, and learning the ways of the defiler that would define my playing for so long afterwards. While my age of playing went good for a few years after, I can see the rot and decline of the game from there, so it's kind of bittersweet.

My personal thing? My warlock earned his epic weapon (my first!) the night before TSO dropped. Still one of the most satisfying things I've ever accomplished in the game.

• Like Like x 4
  8. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Sounds like fun! But I do have to ask what a GM is.....I'm not familiar with this acronym.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I did not make it 15 years. I quit 2-3 years ago (can't recall exactly). I played EQ1 from beta and EQ2 from beta, so many years in Norrath as well. I think some of my fondest memories are really from EQ1. During that stage of my life I had hours and hours to play so I did the whole raid thing and the difficulty (corpse runs etc) of the game back then really did create bonds with those you played with. I was an SK and did the FD pulling on raids which I found a lot of fun.

I still remember in EQ1 when I first started in beta - some online friends from another game had started before me and were higher level. I went into a dungeon (I can't even remember which one) that was appropriate for my level and died really deep down and couldn't get to my corpse without any gear. My friends had to come help me clear a path. Those were exciting times! :p

I really enjoyed EQ2, but spent very little time grouping/raiding and most of my time doing holiday stuff and decorating as well as solo/duo questing. They really ruined EQ2 for me and my play-style when they made it too hard to keep all your alts at "max level" - I don't just mean the highest level but all the other things they added in (ascension?). If they hadn't done that I might still be playing.

I do still miss it sometimes - not enough to go back given the current state of how the game is managed, but some things (house decorating for one) no other game can replicate for me. I'm still playing LOTRO which I've also been playing since the beginning and enjoying it - I have a lifetime sub there so why not. Their decorating is limited but still fun and it's something I can do with my husband when I want to without a big time commitment and I love their holiday/festivals and the lore.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2