1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

More Layoff's at DBG

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Dizzy, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

My understanding is that due to PlanetSide Arena's failure to capture any kind of market, the entire PlanetSide team has been cut to 2 people. If this rumor is correct, then PS2 through no fault of its own is now in maintenance mode.

By my estimate, SOE/Daybreak has blown $100 million trying to come up with a hot new game to bank their future on and has nothing to show for it. EQ, EQ2, and DCUO are their only hits right now and they are all very long in the tooth. Daybreak is running out of road -- fast.

H1Z1 (nee H1Z1:JS) was promising, but they started making sweeping unrequested changes almost immediately and "fixed it until it was broke". If you want to know how passionate about that game people are, look at any Daybreak post on social media. There are at least 20-30 angry comments about H1Z1:JS. It's almost like SWG was back in the day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I don't know if Drums ever implemented something similar, but the spell timer tracking in darq is super helpful.

Also, seems to be a lot of bells and whistles that healers find useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, we were right about those trademarks and llc's being set up. Allthough, looking like there are only two that will matter.

Lots of good reasons why they might do it. Perhaps:

1. Daybreak is shifting its focus mare toward publishing.

2. Daybreak brand has become a toxic one, making it difficult to market its games and recruit employees.

3. Looking to break off peices, either by selling them or bankrupting them. The llcs were registered in Delaware, a state friendly to that kind of action.

That article also says they took out more H1z1 peeps, so h1z1 and ps are in maint mode. Maybe sell them to a company like Gamigo, or just shut 'em down soon.

All the hope being expressed on massively about a secret eq3 is amusing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Their ability to offend their customer base is legendary :) Either way the decision makers in the company are just going to continue on and destroy any new venture they make.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Well hey, before H1Z1 was announced Smed told SWG fans they could come home soon so I guess he wasn't wrong after all!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Smed told some other "fans" where to go... and that helped ended his job at DBG. Hopefully Smed has learned to keep his mouth shut and let his P.R. people talk for him. Though, to be honest, most of us don't want to hear them... they sound too much like politicians to me. And my boots don't come high enough up on my thighs for me these days.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Feldon

Was this a case of Smed believing his own marketing people who said H1Z1 (nee H1Z1 JS) would be an open world sandbox to that level?

8. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

IIRC, Smed was really hands-on with the development of H1Z1 (that was more his style of game than RPGs), I think it was just a gross misreading of what people actually liked about SWG.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Feldon

It wasn't one-click Jedis? :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You well get your turn game when eq3...er eq mobile is released.