1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Census being turned off...

Discussion in 'Census: General Discussion' started by RhodrisNZ, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Places I have worked just throw hardware at that particular problem. It was cheaper to buy better kit than tune the software.

Doesn't help with client issues of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Its almost never EQ2/DBG/SoE's fault when something goes wrong. Like a child does, its easier to blame someone else than admit they made a mistake. Maybe if they admit it, too many customers may demand a refund or something? My poor kronos… gonna die with EQ/EQ2, I fear. I still have the games installed but when I get in the mood to play them, I play Daggerfall instead. Same sounds and its just as busy with other players as EQ2 *laughs cruelly*. And yes, you can download Daggerfall for free, the owners put it on their website for free, as well as on other sites also.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

This doesn't surprise me at all. It really seems like game coding 101.

Informative. So it seems that they are just ticking the boxes really then.

I remember during the Dungeon Maker Exploit when someone pulled an entire room and it slowed the entire server down.
    Could be processing AI scripts server side slowing it down for raids.
    I know they use XML for their quest scripts, but if everything was loaded via file instead of memory for calling AI scripts that would slow things down tremendously especially with looping checks. If that is what they are doing then, chuck that XML stuff on an SSD and performance would be much better just by reducing I/O latency times.
    Mind you they could be putting those into the database, which would be down to a structure issue or tuning issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

EQ2 Census now seems to be working again, as we are seeing characters exporting from different world servers. We don't know if there have been any changes or optimizations as of yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

EQ2 was never well optimized, but it seems like it's been going further off the rails every year. I wonder if it's because of the horrific pile of spaghetti the code has turned into with all the tacked-on systems and changes, xpac after xpac...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure everything will be fine with the Luclin expansion though.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Yep, when it comes out this year next year 2021 2022 any year now, swearsies...

...seriously, how long have folks said "Luclin this time, for sure"?

EDIT: Oh my, did this post ever age poorly...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

The pattern used to be something like: release expansion; memory footprint goes through the roof; performance goes in the toilet; players complain for about a month; Rothgar tweaks and brings it back into control somewhat.

Since Rothgar left I haven't seen much evidence of any kind of optimization going on so, yes, it continues to spiral more with each expac release :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I hope the Luclin expansion for EQ2 goes better than it did for EQ. Anyone remember "Patch the patch to patch the patch" day... everyday... for like a week? *sighs*

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I thought every expansion was patch the patch to patch the patch that broke the patch that patched the patch for a week.

I remember people taking a day off for the start of the expansion only to be disappointed that the server was down for more than half the day due to emergency patching.

Isn't it around the time that they start Beta testing or is that from November the 1st?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

You mean they don't tell people using their API how they might have changed it in advance???
    /shiver

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. LuranEQ2

LuranEQ2 Member

You’re funny, assuming they even tested any change they made. If they changed anything (big if), it probably a) didn’t do what they intended and b) will be noticed when the thing starts misbehaving in unexpected ways in a few months.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Beta testing starts once it goes Live... for we are all their Beta testers!

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Ah, I see that this years Expac is not in November, but December.
    Guess they found that reducing staff will have effects on schedules, who would have known....

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Oh, I have no doubt they tested it for the things they expected.
    It's always the stuff that you don't expect which will trip you up. Sometimes those things are obvious to everyone but the one who made the test checklist.
    Had some of those moments myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Re: UI's.

I seem to recall several years ago there was a big stink about Darqui (or maybe Drums?) and lag.

In any case, that was all researched around AoM and disqualified. Based, for example, on the capabilities Darq now has, I can see how it ***might*** contribute.

More likely, it's the lazy game design - a gazillion stats and systems piled on top of each other supported by undocumented bandaid code and a game engine that has been largely ignored over the years.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Adoninilol

Adoninilol Member

It was entirely drums UI, it was allegedly the root source of everything lag related because of the stat bar and the recipe book allegedly? I'm unsure, either way we all ditched it and it did **** all.

Drums was pretty much the golden standard for 90% of raiders up until I quit raiding. I'm unsure when this Darqui **** came out, but it pales in comparison to drums. Unsure of why anyone switched.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Drums was my fav (never liked profit much).

IIRC, the reason people started moving away from Drums was because Drumstix quit playing and said he wouldn't have time to maintain it. I think people still use it and he seems to be working on it a bit still, but lots of folks went ahead and made the switch to Darqui, which is also a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

For me, like in WoW. If I have to run out of game programs to be able to raid or group, something is seriously wrong with the game UI and mechanics. I tried raiding in WoW for the last time during the expansion before Warlords of Draenor. Even with a program called GTFO, I kept dying to ground effects from the boss. In a 10 man raid, the loss of just one dps can hurt, and the use of a battle rez to get me back up only to have me die yet again from another ground effect... repeatedly convinced me I was done with WoW and raiding.

Yes, terrible reactions and hand/eye coordination, but sadly, I play Star Trek Online and most of the missions I can do even with my poor reflexes. Those I cant (shuttle missions) I either die repeatedly (if I need the rewards for later) or I just skip it and move on down the mission chain to the next one.

20. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

I still use DrumsUI and currently Blackhood has been keeping it up to date. Well, did with Planes of Prophecy anyway. See what happens with the next expansion.

• Like Like x 1