1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Planetside Arena Delayed

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Dizzy, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

• Shocked Shocked x 1
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

-> Apex Legends fubar'd them.

3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Daybreak Internal Cheerleading Squad

2014: Good lord H1Z1 and EQNext are going to make us a lot of money.

2015: Hey we found a buyer. Things are looking up!
    2015b: Pay no attention to the layoffs.

2016: We may have to pivot on EQNext.

2017: Ok we cancelled EQNext, but H1Z1 is gonna rock.

2018: Maybe we should have focused on H1Z1 instead of chasing BR money. But don't worry, Planetside Arena is our last shot to keep the company afloat and it's going to be glorious.

2019: I think it's time we update all our résumés.
    2019b: Anyone remember the Linkedin password?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The fact that they are refunding pre-orders leads me to believe:

1. They didn't sell many, and/or
    2. It may not make it to market

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

People have been saying for [X amount of years] that the game/company was doomed, and it ain't dead yet!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

True, but watching DBG is sort of like watching a bungee jumper who didn't cut the cord short enough, and is just bouncing up and down hitting his head on the rocks under the bridge...
    over
    and
    over.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Feldon

The company has shrunk by 80% in 10 years.

8. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Yeah, I was being a smart @$$

I don't know how many times someone has made that comment to me over the last few years and it never gets less dumb from my perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

And now they lost their share of the futuristic BR market to Apex Legends.

DBG just cant catch a goddamn break and I am 99.99% they wont be able to compete against a game as flushed and bug free as Apex was on launch.

Another sink hole for their money earned from 20 year faithful customers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Apex Legends is huge, but there's going to be people who don't like some aspects of it and will look for another game, and PS:A might fill that role for them. I haven't really been following PS:A at all, but the 250v250 part of it sounds cool, plus being to play solo (which I'm sure will come to Apex Legends eventually).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Well, the early access have been released... and it is a major success.... /sarcasm off

psa.png

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Steam reviews are mixed as well. It seems that Planetside 1 and 2 players are venting on them there.

14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I suppose successfully engineering the capability to handle huge pvp battles is a cool accomplishment.

But I dunno. The concept of large squad br just strikes me as uninteresting.

15. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

psa.png

With numbers like this the lead designer have popped up on the subreddit (Planetside Arena) for some damage control. By normal DBG standard, nothing posted on the official psa forums...

I wonder if they ever can get this off the ground....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Is Daybreak officially the Uwe Boll of online games yet? Because these clowns are beginning to look like a tax shelter...

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Feldon

Josh (Autenil) just left after 14 years. His last milestone was shipping PlanetSide Arena. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Incredibly talented guy. He worked on nearly every EQ2 expansion in some form, usually to solve some devilishly complex problem deep in the code that nobody else could figure out.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Feldon

From Closing the Book on EQNext and Landmark:
    "Ultimately Smed … really cared about games and gamers. He just built a broken process from which only broken games could come out."

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

I'm chuckling at the comments in the article you linked. January 15, 2017 and people were anxiously awaiting Pantheon, "the sequel that EQ deserves." Almost three years later and still no game, but they'd be happy to take your pledge money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Feldon

The Pantheon spam was strong in those comments. Can't believe it's still in Alpha.