1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Isn't that what they said about the Isle of Refuge, too?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Yeppers

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Starved for ideas? Got no development budget? Worried about your year-end bonus?

Just take the old, broken pvp servers and add ffa and 90 day seasons.

Ingenius.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I don't know who said that they'd been "destroyed" but I do remember reading that and thinking it preposterous. It's more PR to say that than "We had barely any version control system, didn't keep backups of everything we changed, and those design files from 5-10 years ago probably wouldn't even load properly even if we had everything neatly organized in one place."

Isle of Refuge came back because Gninja was poking through old game files (he's a jack of all trades and knows a good bit about everything) and found the pieces to make it work. They did end up having to rewrite a few zone files or something but otherwise he was able to resurrect enough of it to prove it wouldn't be that hard to finish it.

I'm guessing the backup of the Neighborhoods was in decent condition, either because it's more recent, or there may have been a feeling that removing them was ill-advised and so maybe a fastidious dev put the files aside for safe keeping.

Is anything destroyed? I doubt it. Just various degrees of misplaced or overwritten.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

You would think they would learn that after the fiasco of old news items about ownership and such of DBG being dug up from the internet's archives, that nothing is really forgotten around here. Those who have an interest in something tend to retain onformation about it for a LONG time... just ask my grandpa about the Depression!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

To be fair, those threads were created right before the team got decimated for the umpteenth time... :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

And yet....they've had time to add resolve and fervor into the stat soup. Ascencion lines, familiars, accolades, leveled mounts, a description window noone cared about, 2 poorly executed pvp concepts, etc.

They didn't have to fix everybody at once.

"OK folks, we've heard you. There is stuff we agree with you about, and stuff we don't.

Swashbucklers don't need 7 temps, and a single target stance similar to what warlocks have makes sense, so we'll start there and work our way through the others.

This will take some time, but hang in there and we'll do our best to clean things up and make improvements, starting with the classes we believe are most in need of attention, and as time allows."

I am more inclined to believe those threads were more window dressing than anything, because past and current behavior leads me to believe the probability is greater that they give zero craps about design-related customer feedback and player qol issues.

:)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last few paragraphs from Longdale's PL:

"... Every moment we share here is focused
    on bringing this Norrathian fantasy to life every day, year after year. And we aren’t stopping – not by a long bowshot. The world of EverQuest has a bright future.

This game, and our livelihoods, have lasted these many years because of our players and fans. I, and our team here, are very humbled to have been on this rare and wonderful ride as we’ve grown and changed with you to become one of the deepest and friendliest MMOs around.

Please join us as we LIVE THE LEGACY of EverQuest and EverQuest II this year!

Cheers, adventurers!

Holly "Windstalker" Longdale
    Executive Producer "

Lols.

The Bullsh*t is strong in this one.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

From your words to their ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I don't know how they can leave classes broken for years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I had a table top gamemaster who was a great GM, imaginative, quick on the spot to deal with players surprise actions and decently thought out plots... but one major flaw was that he had his favorites and those players got the limelight... constantly... and the others were their spear carriers. He didn't ignore us, but 80% of the roleplay was with his favorites and we were lucky if we could get a stablehand to talk to us to put our horses away at the inn. I talked with him privately about it repeatedly and he would promise to add more roleplay for us others (including me) and yet... time and again... I would read a book while we were in town since nothing was going on that included me, despite my trying to start something (not in my nature to start a bar fight just because). So eventually, I stopped going to those games. He never really asked why, so its obvious he didn't really want me there.

Seems the same situation with DBG...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  12. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Kander? Humbled? ..... :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I did notice, she said the "world of ***Everquest*** has a bright future...".

[Edited to include information that was omitted]

"The world of Everquest has a bright future as a p2w microtransaction mobile game.

In the mean time, enjoy our cash grab
    development strategy, because without our bonuses, we cannot continue to bless you with recycled content."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

TLE (Fallen Gate) unlocked DoV today.

It also unlocked;
    • Infusing (Not added till expac 12)
    • Drunder (Not added till next 'expac')
    • Ability to level 92 (Not added till next 'expac')
    • No itemisation changes
    • Level 90 HQ gear better than every other item, just from doing low level HQ's
    • Frostfell Gear better than every other item (Again).

They sure do want FG to die quick so they can take the cash for Kaladim.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  15. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I thought that DoV gave us the great Re-Itemization script.
    So I guess the gear would be fine being wonkily implemented.

16. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Yeah, my interpretation of that was, "Everquest will carry on in some form, but the games you like are screwed. Give Gold Plz, KKTHX bye."

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

If anyone doubts the sincerity of Longdale et al's humbledness, I submit the the following most recent exhibit proving that, not only is she 100% full of sh*t, but arrogant enough to believe we are super stupid.

Banned on discord | EverQuest 2 Forums

• Shocked Shocked x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I wish I could pour iron filings and run magnets over whatever part of virtual space that particular discord is homed in.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I see the Devs are still on top of their Customer Interaction Game.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem to be getting a smidge salty inside that bubble? Are some of the Gnomes seeing the light?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
  20. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Nah.

• Like Like x 3