1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I think the industry as a whole will be fine; the AAA market on the other hand...

2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

What happened in 1982? (It is before I was born)

4. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Seems like a lot of layoffs in the industry at the moment, is there any reason other than simple greed?

I get the feeling that Daybreak is gonna have another round in April, not based around fact, just a feeling whenever it gets close to the end of the financial year we seem to see this kind of thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

This was back at the dawn of home video gaming, when the field was dominated by Atari and Intellivision. Basically the field got glutted by a ton of low-quality games, multiple competing consoles (far more than the big three we have now), bad business practices, and competition from the early home computers. The recession in the field really started in 1983, but I think of it as 1982 because of the landmark that heralded it--the notoriously shitty "E.T." game for the Atari, of which more copies were made than consoles existed, the vast majority of which came to be dumped in the desert unsold. Within the next year basically all the companies and consoles were gone, and the market didn't recover until Nintendo launched the NES in '85.

TL: DR; the industry is repeating its mistakes, at least in the AAA titles, with bad quality, competition from new vectors, and ridiculous business practices.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I've been playing GW2 off and on. I decided I might do a run through on GW1 again just to experience the stories and maybe plug away at my HoM. Then I read that GW1 might be in trouble because NCSoft and reasons. I am still trying to choke down my bile playing an NCSoft related title after what they did to CoH. If they screw ANet too hard I think I might go in to a ragey disgust overload.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I will never, ever touch NCSoft titles after what happened to CoH. It's like a junior league EA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Hopefully GW1 won't get touched, it's pretty much automated at this point anyway (in terms of maintenance). Though a couple of developers did go put in some work on it not too long ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I thought this stream was interesting. Lots of talking about the engineering challenges of this game. Apocalypse testing the siege battle environment revealed stuff had to be ripped out and completely rebuilt - i.e their first real setback.

Still, it was interesting for an ignoramus like myself to have this stuff explained in a way that helped me understand the issues.

13. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

One of the things I like about how Camelot Unchained is coming along is that they basically do a weekly stream and news letter going in to a fair amount of detail about what they're doing and where the game is at. Even when they've had some fairly significant setbacks they've been transparent and informative about the situation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is pretty much what I dig about how Intrepid is developing AoC.

Transparent, feedback-based development that is focused on producing an innovative finished product of the highest quality.

The approach is customer focused, and the attitude is confident and humble.

In other words, Intrepid is operating in a way exactly opposite to EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Just logged a character into Rift to check the auction house (artifacts and selling surplus artifacts are the only reason I still play it), and the 'Message of the Day' is:

RIFT Prime is closing at Midnight on March 31st. Enjoy 300% XP if you'd like to level up new characters to transfer to live servers.

So, is this a consequence of the publisher's laying staff off, or a reason for the lay-offs? Either way, it doesn't bode terribly well for Rift as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

RIFT Prime was a mistake on the same level as any number of the TLE servers in EQ2. It should never have been launched, it wasn't really maintained properly before Trion was sold, and pretty much left to languish after.

It's actually a good thing that it's being shut down. I don't think it has much to do with any decisions that may (or may not) have been made concerning Rift as a title.

That being said, Rift could shut down tomorrow, or limp on for another few years - it's anyone's guess.

(and I'm still sad. I really liked Rift)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Lols.

Check out the mount awarded by ESO's Jester's Festival.

Keep watching until you see the animation. Well done ESO devs :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I am honor bound to note that ESO is finally catching up with the pet rock trend EQ2 started back in RoK.

Which was the Best Drop Ever from Sebilis!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

So, looking for help finding game that me and partner will play, ideally with;

• Co-Op Gameplay
    • Longevity (Not a 1 week and done game)
    • Skill requirements making a difference, but not being a hard requirement (Don't want a game a 5 year old can accomplish the same as someone spending time, but also don't want to have to spend 6 hours a day in game).
    • Ability to pick up the game when we want and not be forced to log in every day.
    • MMO style is ok, but must be reasonably populated, not empty.

Games we've tried;

• EQ2 - Obviously. Not really interested any more.
    • Overwatch - Still play it occasionally, but on a downward spiral now really.
    • Fortnite BR - Still play it, but as don't spend 8 hours a day practicing building, not worth it.
    • Fortnite PVE (Save the World) - Really enjoyed this, but reached endgame and basically completed.
    • Borderlands 2 - Playing casually at the moment.
    • Stardew Valley - Fun game to just mess about on.
    • Destiny - Enjoyed it a lot
    • Destiny 2 - Didn't enjoy as much as original, didn't play that much. Wasn't a fan of no matchmaking at high end.

20. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Try Starbound.. if you like it, get the Frackin Universe mod. Frackin Universe expands Starbound by at least 10x..

• Like Like x 1