1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

We talk about EQ2 here. Not just the parts we like but all of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

We also talk about cookies.

Because, cookies.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Min/Maxing in EQ2 requires a credit card in my opinion. I would rather spend my dollars elsewhere.

In the end gaming companies are in the entertainment business and they forget that at their peril.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 8
  5. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

The "Enhancement Diversification" fiasco was a prime example of what happens when you're not properly explaining assumptions.

Also, when devs are arguing numbers from a different build than live.

I still shake my head about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Top posts;
    EQ2 Infusion Guide
    EQ2 Reforging Guide
    EQ2 Experimentation Guide

I'm not saying info is easy to find, but between a bit of quick googling, and actually asking "/tc general Can anyone send me a tell with a bit of help on XYZ", you can get a large amount of info.

Don't get me wrong, things have gone too complex, but it's not that hard to get caught up for the level of grouping. (Raiding is complicated, yes.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

This is quite true.
    I would like to change said opinion after Fuli's post, that yes, bad design incentivizes bad behaviour and that this in turn makes a toxic playing environment.

It is like rewarding a child for stealing the toy from their younger sibling and you wonder why the younger sibling ends up hating you.

However, having said that, you don't have to be a butthead to other people because of that particular system, but the result is the same, bad behaviour incentivized or not, begets a toxic environment that people just do not want to be a part of.
    I guess that some players just don't think about what their actions have on the wider player base that these are not NPC grey mobs that you are stomping on over, and over, and over; but your future potential friend or rival, you stomp them into submission with ganking (which it seems that this whole PVP experiment has proved many times over) they are not gonna come back.
    You will be alone on your server and be ready to watch the sunset of your favoured playstyle....because....people don't want to play with you and those like you.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

The healing mechanics this expac are a prime example.
    The fact that healing is reduced in heroic and raid zones isn't really the problem.. the problem is that the players have zero actual information about HOW they're being debuffed.
    The ONLY official information is that it's a 'healing received' not a 'healing out' debuff.
    Testing shows that different heals are affected differently.. give bugs in beta testing, it's also pretty clear that the 'debuff' affects different CLASSES differently as well.
    Healers, have no clue what any given heal is 'supposed' to do outside of solo content any more.
    Kander's entire response amounted to 'more potency = bigger heals'...
    Healers can care just as much about the mechanics and numbers as dpsers.... but apparently we're not supposed to worry our little heads about the actual mechanics and just spam our heal buttons like good little heal bots.. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I understand experimentation and reforging. I don't know what choices on stats to make. There doesn't seem to be much worth reforging into. Infusion seems to have the same problem as adornments. Until we had a way to transfer it to other items, getting a slightly better dungeon drop is a mostly disappointing experience because you have to start over on infusing. Having a bag full of infuser items tells me that a designer didn't even sit down and think how bad this would be. They should have almost done infusing pools on your character that you can expend to improve items. Bags full of infusers is just dumb.

And so much undocumented stuff like you can't improve any stat more than 50% of the base value on the item. Spell windows lie. Item descriptions lie. So many reasons I don't play anymore.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I'm of the opinion that some of the additions and modifications to mechanics in recent years serve more to slow the players down while making things easier on the devs than they do to actually making the game 'better'. Leaving the bulk of the player base confused and ignorant about what's actually going on helps both of those objectives. I'm a hater who doesn't even play the game any more, though, so I'm sure I'm completely wrong and evil or something.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

EQ2 Tool tips are neither tools, nor tips.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

No actually, there aren't. For people trying to completely avoid PVP there are precious few.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I agree - between mechanics (camera/mouse/movement) and PvP most newer MMORPGs are not games I want to play. It's why I'm still playing LOTRO (well that and a lifetime sub). I also find myself playing non-MMORPG games like Star Realms (deck builder online), or Rock Band 4, or just doing things other than gaming with my time. I don't know if I'm just aging out of the "modern" games or what but I haven't seen anything that can really replace LOTRO yet for me (what I went back to when I quit EQ2).

I'll admit part of the issue is me. I've changed, games have changed. While I love an immersive MMORPG, I really don't have the desire to sit hours at the computer in one sitting playing one thing anymore or to log on often enough to have meaningful online friendships in a guild/kin. That's why in LOTRO my husband and I just have our own kinship (their version of guild) with our own kinhall mostly for the purpose of crafting ease.

That said I did play LOTRO a few hours in spurts this weekend. I took me at least 30 minutes just to take down our "Yule Festival" decorations in our Kinhall and it made me miss EQ2's ability to save design layouts (I had every holiday decoration for a guildhall in EQ2 saved to a layout). Then I played a bit in their buried treasure event. My main motivation to play seems mostly festivals and collecting cosmetic items. To what purpose I don't know but I enjoy it. I really could care less about leveling at this point.

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

One deep fall in my faith for their capacity for feedback and design was something for rum cellar. The last mob dropping some component, cant recall exactly. The entirety of the active raid council agreed it needed to change to drop more or be needed less, everyone with a litany of ideas and supporting arguments. People who would snipe each other as a matter of course were in agreement.

It got changed but the apparent 'winning plea' that won over Kander was an emotional argument that the drop rate didn't make them feel 'heroic.' I face palmed very hard at this bitter sweet news of a needed change and its asinine justification. The fact a purely emotional argument carried weight, the most weight, meant it was going to be a total crapshoot to get needed changes done in the future.

Ell oh ell. I think I remember someone mentioning this being done before they quit but every time i hear it I get a good chuckle. EQ2's mechanics and itemization is such a tire filled dumpster fire.

Doesn't help that the devs barely know how they work or interact. They just take the 'biggest stat' and regulate that.

I've been steadily converting people I know to Final Fantasy XIV. PvP is optional and does not provide 'gear', classes are balanced and min/maxing gear goes very little beyond "what stat do I want the most?" The itemization and stats are so straight forward it confuses EQ2 players. You spend more time advancing any number of ways and playing the content instead of trying to decrypt it.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

What's the housing/decorating like?

18. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

The housing situation was not so good when Tekka and I played it. Acquiring it was an overpriced pain and decorating was limited. The game itself is well done and the community on our server was great. It's a good game if you like the style. It just wasn't my thing. Tekka played it far longer than I did mainly for the RP.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. omuteef

omuteef Member

Planetside arena now delayed till summer..... who called it?
    They did refund all pre order customers though

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Arena is a BR game right? They probably didn't want to release it right now with Apex being so wildly successful.

• Agree Agree x 1