1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ2 Producer's Letter

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

No... that don't sound familiar at all... ;)

PS:Arena had to be in a really bad state since DBG (or SOE) never hesitated to release unpolished poor quality...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. omuteef

omuteef Member

TL;DR: New Nagafen server with old school PvP rules.

Im curious if this is a way to see if making a EQ3 battle royal game worth while lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Maybe they're trying to gauge interest with this before they commit resources to a new game. Is it 5's of people playing, or 10's? Did the worthy equip themselves with sturdy enough nostalgia goggles to protect them from whatever is about to smack them in the face?

I do hope some people get to have fun with all of it and that it's not a train wreck. I have an air popper and a whole jar of popcorn kernels waiting for me either way.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Not a great judge of what will happen, but I also play a free WoW private server set in Wrath of the Lich King expansion. It is a PvE server (with battlegrounds). Last year they had some requests to open a pvp server, so they did. Had it open for not quite a year before they closed it just a few weeks ago. Very few people were on it, or played in consistently enough. The pve server was decently populated, the pvp one was advertised some, talked about on the main website but since it wasn't full or something, many would not stay to help it grow.

That and there was at least one 80 player who liked to gank players trying to level just because he could, and was trying to get other 80s to come and defend the leveling players. Acceptable tactic on a pvp server, but very frustrating for the leveling players. One of the leveling players quit and went back to retail. The other one stayed, leveled eventually to 80 and then when the server closed, got transferred to the pve server.

5. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I find it a bit sad the way the PvPers are talking about the PvP server and themselves as the single-handed financial saviours of EQ2. I suppose it's something in a PvPer's psyche. This new server will, I suspect, go the same way as all the others. A flurry of activity for a few months, then the PvP community will turn on itself and implode, as it has every other time.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

They are expecting the game mechanics are to be right and proper for pvp… when they aren't even right for pve! Soon the pvpers will be complaining about bugs and hacks and neglect and soon get tired of the problems not being fixed (fast enough) so they will leave and the server will eventually close. I hope I am wrong, but I fear not considering SoE/DBG's track record.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I should go over there and ask where they were when Nagafen was so busy at primetime that (checks notes) you might see 15 people on at once.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

TLE generally has the same entitlement too.

The amount of threads along the lines of "We pay for Gold Subs but Live don't so give us the majority of the attention" is always high.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Translated from DBG spinspeak:

"Folks, we knew our game engine isn't capable of handling what we promised, but management wanted December pre-order sales.

Please hang in there while we punt the problems our promises created to our software engineers.

Hopefully, they can fix this. We'll let you know in a couple of months!"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I'm amazed that there are actually people that think any thing will be any better this time. It's like the definition of insanity when it comes to these specialty servers.

EQ2 Developers barely give any attention to itemization, broken mechanics, etc. Management won't let you claim your veteran rewards, but are more than happy to sell you potions and people buy them because the rate of xp is punishingly low.

The players end up being frustrated and dissatisfied every time. When will it finally sink in that these are quick cash grabs for DBG and nothing more. They don't care about quality, enjoyment, or longevity. SMH. To each his own I guess.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Well, how many more sub-groups of player types are there left to take advantage of? Maybe next there'll be a crafting and decorating TLE server?

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Not enough roleplayers left on AB let alone a special TLE unless they run official RP events such as "Overthrowing The Queen of Neriak" and others

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

You'd need some community staff with a clue to do something like that and I don't think there are any left. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Welp, here's what I'm guessing.....

This server is not gonna lure back bucket loads of subs. Oh sure, it will bring plenty of folks back. In fact, if it's an old school low level environment, I might even be tempted. Pvp in Antonica/CL ->EL etc was a ton of fun.

However, I think it's safe to consider that DBG is not buttering its bread with subs these days. In fact, the lifetime sub thingie implies they don't attach much value to that revenue.

Yeah, they'll require subs, but.............it's gonna be about the cash shop, because this is where they are making their money.

P2W in pvp?

No thanks.

I'll wait and see. If it's clean, old school eq2 pvp, then I might give it a shot.

If there is any hint of paying real money for character power, I expect there will be plenty of people who will be fine with it, but for me?

Nope.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Or "We started making a battle royale version of Planetside 2 two years ago and now here we are ready to ship and for some reason, the market isn't where it was 2 years ago." Daybreak goes where the ball WAS not where the ball WILL BE.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Pass. Three months of work to have it wiped away. Not my cup of tea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

And they are complaining already.....they don't like this, and they don't like that....they should be extremely grateful that DBG has given them what they have been nagging for over months now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Julesholland

Julesholland New Member

Not much to do in eq2 atm to keep me interested and I still will not touch the beta with a long stick.... Not my scene at all

• Agree Agree x 1