1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Crowdsource Project: Quest Cleanup (Expired/Removed)

Discussion in 'EQ2U Players Support & Feedback' started by Feldon, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

There are a lot of quests which have been removed from the game or which just shouldn't be listed on EQ2U anymore unless someone has completed them. Making a comprehensive list of this is going to take a lot of work and is not something I can really undertake myself. If you'd like to volunteer to help, I will build tools to make it possible to do this in a more direct way than sharing an Excel sheet.

2. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

I will help, Feldon.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Pijotre

Pijotre New Member

Maybe someone knows how to get in touch with the owner of the old fluffy.dk? Thay had a good list up to 2015ish with removed quests.

• Like Like x 2
  4. candy206039

candy206039 New Member

It is not sorted, but there are some quests listed in eq2.fandom's Removed from game.

5. Pijotre

Pijotre New Member

Good idea but sifting through "All items (1484)" most of which are not quests doesn't sound like fun.

6. Feldon

Yeah I looked and it didn't seem like a list of quests I could just run with.

7. candy206039

candy206039 New Member

Is there a way to find who has the most quests completed? Any quests they are missing have probably been removed.

8. Feldon

I want to hide all the world event quests which are no longer attainable. A character who has done a lot of quests over the years would not give me a good barometer of what quests are available *now*.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  9. Pijotre

Pijotre New Member

Back in the day it used to be Yummy, Nummy and Zillaq on the top spots. Then Kirskax and Annyya came along and were just recently beaten by Shraddha. Sadly I'm only #22 now, I've been slacking doing data acquisition for that Feldon guy and eq2map :p
    The best ones to see about older quests are the first 3 and maybe to some degree me, Kirskax and Annyya started heavy questing around Moors of Ykesha iirc and Shraddha is quite new to heavy questing.
    https://u.eq2wire.com/lb/listing/quests_complete/all/

• Like Like x 1
  10. DebraJean

DebraJean New Member

I would like to volunteer as well...I spent months working on making excel quest logs for my own toons. I just stumbled upon this website and find it quite helpful.

11. candy206039

candy206039 New Member

Is there a way to total up some (or all) of Fallen Gate's players' quests, and compare them to Antonia Bayle or another Live server's total? Granted, FG is only up to SF, but it would cover a large chunk of the Shattered Lands removed quests, because FG has never had them.
    ~copyedit~

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Pijotre

Pijotre New Member

That is actually a very good suggestion, Feldon could crawl the characters with the most completed quests (hardcore questers) on FG and compare those against the overall DB and flag any that haven't been done by those and are not newer than SF. If the Census has release dates for quests?

13. Feldon

There's no perfect solution. Scanning Fallen Gate characters does tell us what quests people are doing in recent years. But it does not definitively tell us that a quest can no longer be acquired. I'm still pondering but my current plan, which is the most painful way, is to scan a huge amount of characters on all servers and get the latest completion date for each quest and then cutoff from there.

As for Quests on EQ2U, currently we have:
    • Character Active Quest Journal
    • Character Quest "Checklist" by Category
    • Quest List by Category
    I think we may need to add:
    • Character Completed Quest Journal
    • Expired Quest List
    If the EQ2 team re-runs the Questgiver exporter script, we could have starting zone data for all quests.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Feldon

We can expire a lot of quests based on various assumptions, # of times completed (some 1,200 quests have not been completed more than 10 times), last completion date, which category (World Events are immediately suspect, the city suburbs which were removed), etc. But ultimately, I have yet to think of a bulletproof way to do this that doesn't include a Voting system.
    • Players are going to need a way to browse a list of expired quests and challenge them.
    • Players are going to need a way to vote for a quest as having been expired with a certain # of votes triggering an automatic expiration.
    • Quests marked as expired will still show for players who completed it.
    • Quests marked as expired will not be offered in checklists.
    Finally, since we're improving quest lists to be as useful as possible, restricting quest checklists by alignment, race, and class adds another wrinkle to the design.
    • Quests restricted by class, alignment, race, and ts class will be "soft" hidden and you'd be able to click a button to show them without leaving the list of quests. I know you crazy kids will buy race tokens just to get the achievement count. :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carynn

Carynn New Member

I've been working on this since mid-January. I've done the following zones:
    -Greater Faydark (not Kelethin)
    -Frostfang Sea
    -Oakmyst
    -Forrest Ruins
    -Peat Bog
    -Thieves Way
    -Serpent Sewer
    -Vermin's Snye
    -Down Below
    -Queen's Colony

I still need to test the different racial quests for the Q-side newb zones, but otherwise I've been updating the wikia as I go adding Removed from Game tags for those which didn't already have them. A lot of the quests in the newb areas were removed with the same GU (54? 56?) when they changed the entire game to make it "smoother" and then with the removal of the Q/FP suburbs. The wikia indicates Quests still available effective as of 2017 in the sewer zones, which is helpful. I test for about 20 hours to get something to drop that isn't already marked as RFG. If it hasn't dropped in that amount of time, it's not going to do so, even on the rarest of drops.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  16. Feldon

We have crawled over ten thousand characters to get a starting point for this project. We're considering:
    • Purge quests which nobody has completed since July 24, 2012.
    • Purge quests that 1-5 people have completed since November 28, 2017
    Right off the bat that gives us about 2,500 quests. After that, it's going to be a lot of nibbling around the edges and we need a voting system or reporting system to track everything. We've never done anything like this on EQ2U before. We've reached out to Mazahs to see if we can get his list from Fluffy.

By the way, we may scan all Isle of Refuge characters to have a baseline as every quest completed there has to have been in the game within the last 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carynn

Carynn New Member

According to the convo under my drop quests on the forums, the Betrayal quests apparently reset themselves after you complete your betrayal, so those can never be considered "completed". I wonder if they even count toward your quest total?

18. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

I am a little confused. What do you mean by "expire" a quest?

Just because a quest is no longer obtainable (and really what is the definition of that without knowing the exact drop rate for chest based quest starters) doesn't mean it should be displayed any more?

Case in point: what would you do with a Quest such as "Sabotage: A Simple Prank [110]" under Betrayal which I completed back on 2/21/2005? Those near launch time content Sabotage quest lines which are not part of the change-city line are no longer obtainable, the NPC is long gone. But they are still listed in my Journal as completed.

19. Feldon

Your example is exactly why I have dubbed a new term of "expired quests". We aren't removing them and I won't be hiding these quests from your eq2u completed quest journal. However they will not appear in the quest checklist for characters who have not completed them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Feldon

I'm making good progress on a major rewrite of the Quest List view for character quest journal. So I knew the filters on the current live site were pretty janky but I didn't realize how broken they were. Still lots to do but not quite ready to roll it out or show a screenshot.

• Like Like x 3