1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Is census acting up?

Discussion in 'EQ2U Players Support & Feedback' started by Sweatypie, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I dont think any chars have been updated for two days and you can not search for chars/guilds/items with out getting the following error:

Either an error was returned from SOE, the search timed out, or the SOE data service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Does anyone know if DBG knows of the issues or is it just eq2u?

2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

EQ2 Census is down with "service unavailable".
    PS2 and DCUO Census are up and running.

Maybe MongoDB had too much egg nog.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Caam

Caam Member

Maybe they laid off the last dev who gave a rip and it's down for good.

4. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

Per RosiePosy on the official forums

From Discord:

RosyposyToday at 11:49 AM
    Please, please restore census, @Jamiss @Chrol @Caith

CaithToday at 12:14 PM
    Not until it stops making servers explode
    Explosions are bad, mmmkay.

5. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Oh good Caith is on it. Maybe he'll just trash it all together and make a new, much worse system simply because its easier for him to maintain.

6. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I expect census to be broken for at least a month now that its not just a restart fix. Great. Losing the one tool that makes eq2 manageable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

So... somehow they messed something up so that exported data (aka Census) is causing servers to explode? Really?
    It sounds like, among other things, that either have bad version control procedures/management... or NO version control. Solid version control would at least let them narrow down what 'change' caused the problem.
    That's assuming they don't know and have decided to work around whatever caused the problem rather than pulling it out and doing whatever it is/was properly...

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Feldon

EQ2 Census is admittedly very inefficient and no other game at Daybreak works the same way. When you Camp, Zone, or otherwise do things that initiate an update, your EQ2 character is published to the Census server like sending out a print job to the queue. This can be several megabytes of data x tens of thousands of characters. The EQ2 game servers actually have to stop and do this work, so it can really bog things down I think. Some efforts have been made to streamline it like some parts of your character only update when the associated window is closed with changes. I forget which, but maybe your Recipes, Mercenaries, etc.

This is not to mention that every time Thurgadin is rebooted, it exports all Items, Recipes, Quests, Achievements, and other static data. EQ2 Census was originally tied to Butcherblock (probably a coincidence that my main characters were homed there).

When all the initial Census work was done, EQ2 was on Oracle and EQ2 Census was built on MongoDB which is supposed to handle tons of data and millions of lookups. They tried to develop PS2 Census the same way as EQ2 but after months of trying they could not get MongoDB to handle the influx of data. They switched to a much simpler approach. PS2 and DCUO Census are now just a direct replication of certain allowed data from the game. There is no translation or "publishing" task that has to run.

If Daybreak were in, you know, some kind of normal financial situation, I think they would have rewritten EQ2 Census to be based on EnterpriseDB replication like PS2 and DCUO. And EQ Census would be a thing by now. It's like 90% done. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Feldon

So next Tuesday mayhaps.

10. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Either they forgot to turn on a switch or it was not fixed today.

11. Feldon

I show hundreds of characters have updated today. You'll need to re-camp your character.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

You are right it took a while for my chars to update. Finally