1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Found it

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by omuteef, Dec 29, 2018.

1. omuteef

omuteef Member

Originally from Massively, MMORPG and a Reddit post.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. omuteef

omuteef Member

Some say this is bogus some say it isnt but so far it seems pretty valid and with life time subs being available a total of 10k now well it all seems more and more plausible

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding this. Been meaning to have another look at it :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Thank you for putting up the post in question.

There is value in speculation - we do it here often. And sometimes we're right - IE the lifetime subscription Round 2 (though I think we were all surprised at what turned out to be a 2 day window)

However, speculation can often be harmful (to varying degrees). IE the hype some players are trying to work up over a speculated EQ2 PvP server over a couple of vague comments from The Team.

I think, for me, it's important to acknowledge the value, and recognize the limitations.

And evidence trumps all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Peak

Peak New Member

Everything I've heard about the new PVP server has ultimately come from DBG, and usually from private conversations. Never seemed like speculation to me. Although the timeline on that has seemed to shift around. We'll see if it ever happens.

New server is probably an EQ2 version of whatever they're working on for EQ3, if that's actually a thing.

6. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

What I've seen posted on the OF were snipped from discord.

Kander: it will be announced before the end of 2018 (not happening)
    Kander: We'll announce beta soon. The PvP stuff has nothing to do with Expac 15. (this was on September 20th. so we can reasonably assume they mean Soon(tm))

Caith: we have no plans to launch a new "traditional" PvP server

That's all I can actually find from The Team about this potential pvp server. The rest is hype and speculation from players based on those statements.

If The Team is discussing it, it's not where players can see it. Or it's just not getting posted where players can see it. Which kind of defeats the purpose, but is par for the course.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Peak

Peak New Member

Yeah, this is stuff that wasn't posted on the forums or anything like that.

I assume it'll fall apart, if it ever materializes. On the bright side, it seems like they've been talking to some PVPers directly about things, so maybe there's some hope it won't be garbage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

If they're not on the forums, or the EQ2 Discord - which folks camp and post relevant information from - then where were these conversations had, and with whom?

Regardless, the point stands, if the target audience - or any potential audience - can't see them, then they do the exact same thing as if they didn't exist at all.

I'll hazard a guess: They're not talking to the couple of PvP'ers speculating and hyping from the limited information on the OF.

I got into this discussion with a staunch PvP supporter on the OF, who claimed to be in discussion with The Team, when 'new PvP' came up, I want to say about a year ago (it seems to be cyclical). I stand by what I said then: They don't have the manpower and resources (even less now) to produce content for, overhaul mechanics that need it, and maintain their current Live and TLE severs, adding another specialty server will spread those already thin resources even thinner.

Well this new one is going to be an event server, right? So what evidence do I have that it won't perform up to what it should? The RTT server. It launched with major issues, some of which didn't get fixed by the time it shut down and left a lot of players frustrated.

I'm not a hard core PvP'er, but I do enjoy some styles of it (faction vs faction vs faction) and I have no issue with PvP being brought back to EQ2. But as a niche playstyle in that game, it shouldn't take needed resources away from the main servers and game play. The players also deserve to have enough commitment in both effort and resources, and not just the hope that 'this time' it will be different. It won't.

That being said, like all the rest of it, I'll watch and see how it unfolds.

(I'm 2 for 2 on my predictions. No it doesn't make me happy. It makes me sad.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The original post above is not from Discord. It's from a since-deleted Reddit post in May 2018 by a supposed former developer. It was picked up by Massively and MMORPG. I've since added citations to omuteef's post.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Peak

Peak New Member

All the discussion I've seen were from private messages with Kander. I have no reason myself to doubt them being real. I don't really want to post specific names of any other parties.

I completely agree though, I don't think they have the manpower for half of what they do right now. They had three iterations (right?) of TLE servers and it's still a cluster****. Now there's talk of a new server, with a new-ish hybrid-sort-of-who-knows-wtf ruleset? Yeah, I'm sure that's going to go well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I imagine a bean counter in an office somewhere waving some papers in the air while screeching about how PvP is the big thing, "Make it happen!" Then some management person who may never have played a video game before decrees from on high, "So Let It Be Written, So Let It Be Done. Make me the monies!" Somewhere down the totem pole a note is passed to the dev team that basically reads, "Do some BR stuff or something, get it done by this date. You don't get any more resources or anything. Just get 'er done." And then a weak and pathetic chorus of voices whimpers from a cluster of dimly lit cubicles, "...yes mistress, we're on it..."

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

I forgot how the relationship worked but didn't they throw in with some sort of eSport venture? Some other company making an esport arena or some such? If so it makes sense they would be having every game have 'something' to throw in for it no matter how lousy.

EDIT: ah yes nantworks https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-of-modern-news-media/?utm_term=.8500034daa21

So i wouldn't be surprised if whats left of every team got a 'esports assignment' shortly after this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Oh no, I don't expect you to call out other folks. Private parties is sufficient, and illustrates my point. The discussion isn't being had in an 'official' capacity.

The second bit there is spot on. I award you a tasty fish.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

A few follow up articles that potentially involve that 'partnership':

H1Z1 Pro League Shuts Down, Citing Funding Failures | Los Angeles Business Journal

https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/21/...solvency-view-manipulation-and-missing-money/

15. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Months later, so how does that OP's predictions turn out? Most of it is gooble gobble gooble gobble to me... but are they one of us now? *grins malevolently with a freakish smile*