1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

They Break Winter Extravaganza?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Liv, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I notice Mepps had time to plug the 200$ subs, but didn't clarify the conversion for folks who don't want to potentially waste their money.

I have no reason to think they wouldn't sell 4000 of the lifetimes, since it's across all the titles (if it was just EQ2, I'd call shenanigans). I just don't see a reason to limit it to 4000, other than shitty marketing tactics from the Home Shopping Network.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

And now, something completely different:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

I am still waiting to see the independently audited proof that all the packages sold out :) Also waiting for some explanation as to why there was even a limited number in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

BE DIALING PEOPLE! LIMITED EDITION! LIMITED EDITION! BE DIALING! GEM MINT TEN!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Oh, I have no doubt it sold out. That's an old tactic that utlizes scarcity hueristics to create demand (ltd quantity + deadline). Works like a charm, and those shopping networks make billions selling worthless crap this way.

The question is why make the offer in the first place?

It's just not that much money, and if the company was confident their titles would be up in 20 months ($14.99 rate), why take more money off the table?

It's a problem of information assymetries. They know what they are up to and we don't.

One theory might be they've finally figured out that when people cancel subs, they stop playing = No cash shop revenue. So get them to pop for a lifetime sub, make some money, and move into what is essentially a f2p + p2w cash shop driven model.

If we see another offer like this in a few months, that would lend credibility to that theory.

Another might be they are simply hurting for cash atm.

Lastly, they could be starting exit strategies for one or more titles.

Dunno. Could be a lot of things, but I don't suspect any of them are very good for customers.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 7
  6. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

That's why I originally thought, Management bonus's

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Reflect back to people like Dexella and Amnerys and how they interacted with the players. Now consider RadarX and how he treated the players. Community management under DBG stopped being about facilitating healthy interactions and (relatively) honest communication and started being about control. Lying to the customer under SOE might be a matter of damage control or building hype, under DBG it's a day to day tool to keep the peons in line. The only thing to change under Roxxlyy is that there is less competence with more favoritism and ideology.

I'm fairly certain I've been dubbed as wrong think, problematic, toxic, etc. I can have people repeatedly lie in front of me, to me, and about me, while I'm often being trolled by some of those same people, and if I respond at all I risk another ban. I have to be very careful in what I say at all about any subject on the forums at this point and every time I get censored or penalized no one bothers to even tell me what I've actually done wrong even when I ask politely and constructively.

After being directly threatened by a red name under DBGs watch, lied to repeatedly, generally abused, and now I see evidence of preferential treatment, why the hell would I try to have a serious conversation on those forums?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

To be fair I think we could all be a little nicer, including me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  9. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Does being polite and limiting profanity count?

I'm asking for a friend. -shifty eyes-

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    • Fishy Fishy x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

I had about 2 paragraphs outlining how most of the EQ2 dev team treated players like crap unless they agreed with them and terrible players emboldened them with their blind-faith and "patronage with protest" but instead I'll say:
    [​IMG]

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Shocked Shocked x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

That didn't take long...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And there it is....I should have made a wager with Fuli on it (for cookies).

They are definitely using the "Marketing for Dummies" book!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Watching this train wreck is like watching someone put a new coat of paint on a sinking ship.

• Agree Agree x 10
  15. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

now, how long until these suckers turn and start demanding things be done because they paid for lifetime subs

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I knew this would happen, we all did.

I just figured it would take longer than 2 days...

The other games' forums must have been clamoring, because it sure wasn't there on the EQ2 forums.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

The clamoring was done by the accountants, who just discovered the tax liability they need to cover is larger than previously thought.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

maybe some prospective buyers weren't impressed with just 4k lifetimers perusing an even more substantial cash shop.

I did do a pass by the other official forums that are included in the package. DCUO had a handful of people happy about it, the rest of the thread appeared to be about city of titans, ship of heroes and valiance online. the others were 'meh' or outright dead.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Besides, if I was a prospective buyer, I would wonder why they are selling the game and sticking me with the 4k+ people expecting the game to continue. Its like DBG is selling a diamond mine, they keep the diamonds but are selling you the shaft!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

A future buyer might have some obligation to honor previous contracts when they take over the company, but would they have to honor them game by game? So shut down EQ2 and tell everyone with remaining sub time that they're welcome to go play PS2 or DCUO instead, yay! And, if the buyer is as clueless as not-really-but-yes-really-CN seems to have been, a life time sub might be pawned off as a guaranteed built in customer. Who doesn't like perks?

I mean, when Turbine screwed me out of my life time sub they tried to sell me on how I could just make a new free to play account and return to Middle Earth! As if I should be excited about the warm, smelly nature of the 'rain' they were telling me was trickling down my back. There's no end to the spin.

• Agree Agree x 7