1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

DBG to announce a new game

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Dizzy, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Lets be fair, early access buy in for these kind of games is not uncommon now. At least they have an actual game to show for it this time. Fortnites PVE mode is effectively buy into early access.

Planetside was reasonably popular in the FPS world, and I think a lot of people did play it over the years. Having it fit into this style of game mode (Not just BR, but TDM, CTF etc.) could potentially work well.

They are also making the smart move to sell it via steam. It doesn't take that much for a game to blow up in popularity, see Realm Royale. But it also doesn't take much for a few changes to scrapheap a game (also see Realm Royale).

This type of game really isn't going to appeal to most of DBG's customers though outside of the PS world. Hopefully, they have the sense to actually market the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

From the comments I've seen, even the PS Players don't want anything to do with this.

Massively's post twitch writeup:
    https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/13/daybreaks-new-game-reveal/

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

It's not that crowd fund or early access buy-ins are uncommon in the industry now, it's that DBG (started with SoE) have burned customers TWICE already with it.

They are known for the burns in the wider gaming community.

It doesn't matter how much they market this latest gimmick if it gets the same amount of development/innovation/support as Landmark and H1Z1 - that is to say, none.

Which is par for the course with this iteration of the company and they are also known for that in the wider gaming community.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

They do seemed to have learnt from this one. It launches Jan 29th, with an early access beta through Jan. Buying the game is only £15 and gets you the 'season pass'. All in all very similar to Fortnite. That game doesn't require a purchase, but has a lot more RMT.

From what I hear, the PS Dev team(s) have always been quite good at effort. Although it all comes down to their Russian DBG overlords I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Battle royale games aren't popular, Fortnite and PUBG are popular.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

You don't need to be on top to make money.
    Comments are kind of eh to judge things on. People who feel positive about something aren't going to wade into a cess pool of negativity to make their feelings known.

7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Recycling existing assets and loading in a new stream of micro transactions might pay-off, IF enough people care.

Since it's being marketed on Steam, we'll know soon enough :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  9. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

That's the saddest part of the entire thing. I'm certain (no sarcasm) that the PS dev team DO want to put out a great, fun game. However, they have to do it under DBG, and historically, 100% of the time, the various teams have NOT been provided with the resources they need.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

As we would say, they've been given the impossible task of pushing it uphill with a pitchfork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

Don't even need to be good. Anyone who thinks arena is going to be anything resembling quality hasn't been paying attention to DBG's or even SOE's track record. Why would this suddenly be the breakout hit, the big upswing when everything for years have been going downhill? Hell they had the ABSOLUTE advantage with H1Z1 coming out before fortnite and PUBG only to completely botch it and not even hold third place any more.

Everything about this is cynical marketing and asset shuffling. Even the trailer is trying to leach 'Anthem' hype with constant rocket packs and a very similar font for "ARENA." This the video game equivalent of a MLM. Trappings and outward facing media is presented well but its just repackaged junk sold at a markup. When the content is poor, all that 'good presentation' suddenly, yes quite suddenly, becomes a bunch of lying assholes. Con artists need to wear nice clothes and smiles more than anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Eq2 design team aside (exluding Kaitheel), I feel badly for DBG production staff.

It was refreshing to hear from people who really wanted to give us something fun to play with, as opposed to what we are used to getting from Kander et al.

The fact is, DBG is a crap gaming company producing poor quality, not because of the majority of the worker bees, but because of management.

If I was working there, I would have bailed years ago. I really don't know why people continue to stick around.

I know changing jobs can complicate life, but at some point, enough is enough.

My hope is that these folks go find a better place to work sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

If they can pay the top streamers to play it without uninstalling it live on stream with a massive rant over how bad and broken it is... (That actually happened to H1Z1) they might sell a bunch a copies.

From what I seen so far.. the PS community is not happy with this... as one youtuber pointed out that collision bugs that was never fixed still are not fixed in the arena version. You can see a car driving through a player in the DBG promotion video...

I am sure DBG will release the game broken... promise fixes.. hyping future updates and never really fix anything... like they normally do with every game they release.

DBGs reputation is so bad among players... I wonder if they can ever convince the streamers to play it...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Oh man that's epic.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Neiloch

Neiloch Member

I found this amusing

• Funny Funny x 2