1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is why I'm playing (sort of ESO) atm.

I don't have a lot of play time atm, but i can log into ESO and there is always a large menu of different things for me to do.

Heck, as I've mentioned before, I can spend hours just breaking into houses and robbing them blind.

But in addition, there are always lots of really good stories to work through, there is pretty good pvp, and it's easy to group when I want to. The crafting and deco game is also pretty good.

One of the things I really love about ESO - people EVERYWHERE.

I stopped raiding in eq2 years ago because I don't like the 2nd job nature of it. And when (1) the available content was squeezed down to nothing, and (2) p2w game designed incentives were pushed, well, that was it for me.

Still, I don't pick on eq2 for my decision to stop playing due to the implemented changes.

I have picked on DBG, because throughout this process, they've treated their customers like they're stupid, and that includes behavior that appears largely unconcerned with the personal welfare and purchasing experience of their customers.

IOW - "Do what you have to do to manipulate people into over-paying for a crappy product."

That kind of business philosophy just pisses me off, no matter who it is.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I only group with a friend because of previous bad experiences in PUGs. Not interested in putting myself through that BS again. I also like seeing people around the place, doing their thing, working on their goals, or just browsing at the broker. Brings the game alive (even if it does create horrible lag). I tend to turn chat off as well because it's just ghastly.

I've been trying to get my friend to move to something else for the longest time now, but we can't find anything that we both agree on. I like FFIVX, he doesn't. He refuses to go to Rift (I log in every day for the free shiny) because of the P2W model (okayyyy...), I won't go to anything that has mandatory PvP. He's a life member (founder) of LOTRO, I tried a free trial and found it tiresome. We both don't like ESO. We used to play SWTOR but were both bored with the linear progression (not to mention the later storyline). I don't mind GW2, he hates it. Sigh.

And we are fundamentally different in our gaming personalities - I like to explore and meander around, he needs to have definite goals to work towards (he misses so much by taking a straight line from A to C - whereas I wander about and find something interesting at B). Oddly enough, we do work well as a team though.

Something that suits us both will turn up at some point, hopefully!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I believe a would find accompaning you on any kind of shopping task entirely maddening :)

There are those of us like your friend "I know what i need, there it is, let's gtfo of here."

Then there is " I know what I need.....Oh, look at this......how much does this cost...hmmm, I'll come back.....now, what was I looking for?

Oh yeah....wait, when did they get these......."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Part of why I like GW2 and ESO is specifically because they don't use the older design games like EQ, EQ2, and WoW popularized. Content doesn't get old, people don't get left behind, and there's little in the way of catching up that needs to be done. This doesn't work for certain kinds of players, but it does seem to be workable for the majority. Especially if the people responsible for the game are dedicated to maintaining their design.

On top of that, the experience is social. I can play by myself in the middle of nowhere. I can play by myself in the middle of a crowd. I can get in a group and do whatever the group decides to do. Best of all I can get credit for all of it whether I'm grouped or not.

I've commented several times about logging in to EQ and finding content relatively unchanged since beta and completely unused. EQ2 isn't much different. To my mind, for a game that's supposed to be designed to last, that is a massive failure. If I log in to ESO right now the content I enjoyed in 2014 is still packed with people and I'm going to see people at almost any time of day nearly any where I go. Even more so since they went mega-server.

I've also heard more than once about how simplistic the game play is because of a lack of buttons or something similar. More buttons doesn't mean more difficult, but that is a slightly different discussion on design decisions. Something I would point out, however, is that if you keep tacking stats and AA on to the game then doing older content not only becomes easier, but eventually it's mind numbingly trivial. I would challenge anyone to go play through the Heart of Thorns content in GW2 and then report back when the last time was they did anything that challenging in EQ2. The real key is the people making the game, how competent they are, and how dedicated they are to delivering a good product.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I pickpocketed a gaming die house item from a thief in the Brass Fortress in ESO today. It is die sized when placed, not basketball sized, and doesn't blink out of existence when I take two steps back from the desk it's placed on.

It's things like these that make me stupidly happy.

I pickpocketed a die. from a thief. And it's appropriately sized (and colored).

Now back to the suck of your regularly scheduled 'expansion'.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. RhodrisNZ

Oh no, shopping is totally different! That's an exercise in "Nooooooo.....I don't wanna go......oh ok, if I have to, but I am going to make a list, get in, get it and get out as quickly as possible." Grocery shopping is even worse. Thank the gods for online supermarket shopping and delivery!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Madame, I owe you an apology for unjustly stereo-typing you as one of "those people".

I am happy for you that you are one of us.

#keepingthedreamalive

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Yeah in GW2 I'm almost level 80 and I haven't left the 1-50 areas yet, it's so refreshing to be able to do whatever I feel like doing and not be restricted by overleveling stuff or whatever. Plus everything being a public quest totally removes the frustration of people camping stuff, and in fact it's always nice to have another player around to help. Honestly I don't know if I could go back to the EQ-style content without the nostalgia that comes with EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

TODAY I LEARNED!

Folks that enjoy a game or expansion do NOT go to forums to share tips about the content, their enthusiasm, etc. Or was it in every game BUT EQ2 that folks do that. I think that might have been it.

So far the 'small percentage', 'look at all the instances of zones' (which they've lowered by, I think it was half), and 'too busy' excuses trotted out.

Good for the for the folks that are enjoying it (I mean that, no sarcasm) but FFS, don't be disingenuous about the state of the game and population.

Edit: Since my note lacks clarity - The max zone number has been lowered from somewhere around 100? to, I believe 49 or 50. Don't ask for receipts, I read it on the forums some time around complaints of KA PQ's lagging/crashing out due to the number of people.

There used to be a way around the max, don't know if there still is.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    • Shocked Shocked x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RhodrisNZ

She's REALLY getting up my nose at the moment, with this insistence that you need pots, stones, consumables, portable crafting stations etc to be able to play the game. I have to wonder if she has an 'arrangement' with the makers of said pots, stones and consumables and gets commission or something!!

The expansion is perfectly playable (solo/normal questing) without all that malarkey. And actually quite enjoyable (this time).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Mecah

Mecah New Member

How enjoyable? I keep looking for a game to fill my time since I quit in December, but I can't find anything I like, and I kinda miss EQ2. Could be rose colored glasses and all that jazz, but...

13. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

In recent years I've found that if I want an EQ/WoW type fix I've had more fun in Rift, FFXIV, SWTOR, and Wildstar than those games, and that WoW is holding up to be a better game at this point/still than EQ2. Unfortunately a few of those games are gone or going away, but some still remain. I have actively promoted SWTOR over EQ2 more than once to former players who wanted a similar game play experience and mostly had positive responses.

Norrath is 90s Forgotten Realms with a reskin. There's something special about that setting that nothing else quite matches. There's also the emotional attachment some people have to a game and community they've spent so much time being a part of. It can be hard to move on. I get all of that. Sometimes it's worth the effort, though. There's a lot of options out there and many of them appear to have more legs on them than EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. RhodrisNZ

It will never be as it was. But in comparison with the &*^%$ that was PoP, it is streets ahead. The new outdoor zones, while not huge in and of themselves (none of them are Kunark, for example), are nevertheless absolutely gorgeous, and cleverly arranged to 'feel' bigger than what they geographically are. There are lots of side quests, no faction grind (thank the gods!), and the sig line is interesting. I've just completed the TS sig line on one of my crafters, and it was good. I enjoyed it, particularly the quests with the book of Recipes for Adventure.

I don't do heroics or raid, so can't speak to those (others here will surely chime in with their experience), but for me as a soloer/casual quester, it feels like how EQ2 used to be (with the understanding that with a significantly reduced dev team, it's not going to be massive or probably take a long time to work through).

Addendum: I only bought the basic expansion because I didn't want to spend a heap of money on what might have turned out to be a heap of....something else. For me, it is good value for a US$35 investment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

RhodrizNZ, thanks! I might even log on in a few days (after the first weekend end passes and the lag and masses are gone or at least diminished) and start playing, though what I hear about us being put on trial by some of the gods for eliminating Lanys is very... unappreciated by me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I am reserving any optimism until I get a feel for sentiment in Jan.

IOW: "Well ****, now what?"

17. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Apparently divine self-defense law is ridiculously restrictive. Divine due process is also clearly not a thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I want to be put on trial for trying to help Lanys! *sighs* Oh well... ill start CD expansion in a few days, im sure

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Also, we escaped the blast, she could have too, if she'd wanted. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

You know, back in the day when I played and ran D&D campaigns all the time there was a sort of unwritten rule. When the players got powerful enough to start messing with deities or their avatars it was time to re-roll and start over. If the characters get so powerful the GM has to start pulling weird things out of their butt just to keep it interesting it tends to stop being fun for everyone. Any GM that lets the campaign get that far without a clear idea of where things are going is screwing themselves and their players. Any deities in a well crafted setting that would let the players be a serious threat to them aren't really worth worshipping anyways.

There was a slam or two in there somewhere...

• Agree Agree x 5