1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The EQ2 team is a lot smaller today than it was around the time of RoK/TSO/SF. Less than 1/3 the size.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. BisonZabi

BisonZabi New Member

Yes I know, I think 1/4th. I remember the team was halved in 2011-2012 as staff were reallocated for the EQN project at the time. Then came the acquisition and another huge layoff in early 2015. And from what I understand another massive layoff happened a few months ago all around.

3. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

In fairness the last layoff only saw one Dev leave the EQ2 team (Fyreflyte). The rest was somewhat dead weight like Roshen etc. who were on the 'community relations' side of things instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Arclite

Arclite New Member

I think most would agree that once the vaccum was created due to lay-offs, the people who were put in/promoted to senior. positions did not earn it on merit. PR folk excluding, they are like 4 may be 5 people involved in eq2 development currently?

Kander; Gninja; ttobey; crafting person; home decor person

5. Feldon

There were well over 45 devs for Rise of Kunark in 2008.
    Here's the EQ2 game credits for Planes of Prophecy:

Programmers
    Daniel "Bunji" Hosford
    Justin "Jamiss" Michael

Lead Designer
    Kyle "Kander" Vallee

Game Designers
    Robert "Caith" Fouts
    Chris "Chrol" Garlick
    Nathan "Kaitheel" McCall
    Carlos "Gninja" Mora
    Paul "Cronyn" Molina

Additional Game Design
    Jason "Fireflyte" Woerner

Art Director
    Timothy "Haohmaru" Heydelaar

Associate Art Director
    David "Covic" Brown

Artists and Animators
    Brandan McDonald
    Rick Randolph
    Tom "ttobey" Tobey
    Nick Viater
    Aaron "Gnobrin" Bisnett
    Allen "Lebounde" Bond
    Matt Case

Audio Director
    Mark MacBride

The Artists and Animators are shared between EQ and EQ2. Brandan, Allen and Rick makes zones. Tom Tobey is the animator. Aaron does armor and weapons. Matt and Nick are probably also zone designers. All the character (enemy) models are outsourced now.

Rick "Storn" Reynolds (used to Player Studio), Chris "Phatkins" Atkins (used to model and rig enemies), Dave "Maevianu" Kish (used to be lead programmer), and Emily "Domino" Taylor (tradeskill developer) are listed as additional support as they contributed to the expansion but they're all gone or on other teams now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 7
  6. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

All things considered, it's kind of impressive what the team manages to put out given their size. I just wish they'd move away from the "small overland zones + dungeon grind for currency" format because I find it so nauseating now (in any MMO, not just EQ2). Unfortunately it's a pretty reliable template at this point so we're probably stuck with it till the game sunsets.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Feldon

Think how much less they'd have to work if they didn't increase player power by 10 to 20 orders of magnitude every year. They wouldn't have to create demigod enemies and keep introducing "last year's cool stat" mitigation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

EQ1 is introducing a new stat this year: "Luck".

It's a mechanic that improves specific rng rolls. You can improve it by merging gear.

9. Feldon

EQ1 is introducing a new stat this year: admitting the "Luck" stat exists.

FTFY

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Still a hidden mechanic though. It's just a modifier of whatever the underlying probabilities that day are. Smoke and mirrors.

Wouldn't be suprised to see luck potions turn up on the cash shop. If people buy them, well, eq2 incoming.

Be interesting to see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Wi-flagging is so obviously a thing...

12. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Have it on credible authority that Tekka's secret luck stat (adjusted for Castegyre) is + 220%.

Converesely, Castegyre's secret luck stat (adjusted for Tekka) is -862%.

It's likely a very complicated algorithm that factors in fluff purchases and forum bans on some level.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

if (devs.hateyou=TRUE) then
    you.screwed=TRUE
    end

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dizzy

Dizzy Active Member

Hm, RNG on top of RNG. What could go possibly go wrong :)

Maybe they should ask Blizzard how that is working out for them in BFA.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  15. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Just sacrifice more halfling rangers to the range gods. Cant really hurt and can be a lot of fun!

Well, if you stab them quick enough, it wont hurt for long...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Feldon

Something very similar to this was actually in the game code for a time. Former EQ2 mechanics lead Aeralik had put in a conditional damage boost for their girlfriend's character ID. There were also various hard-coded nerfs to ranger damage for some strange reason. :p You'll note that since they left, we haven't had a mechanics lead who is fluent in programming. Go figure. :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Shocked Shocked x 1
  17. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Wow... talk about unprofessional... and lack of peer review..
    That's the sort of coding 'behavior' I'd expect from some 'punk' running a private server for his/her friends...
    I actually had some folks back when NWN first came out (not the MMO) asking me if I'd code such 'cheat code' for him and his friends for his server. He was... perturbed.. when I told him what he did on his server was his decision, but I wouldn't HELP him do something I thought was 'wrong'.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, well Aeralik was a real piece of work. He was the scout dev at the time. He raided on Naggy (I seem to recall) for a guild called Onyx (or something) playing a sin.

Guess which guild was routinely getting first kills?

Then there was indeed a series of ranger nerfs starting with Focus Aim, and an epic 1.0 weapon where you had to be 7m or so for it to proc.

Want a good laugh, take a look and compare the pred aa's clustered on either side if RoK.

According to Feldon, he sabatoged a bunch of code on his way out the door.

• Shocked Shocked x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

This, this is the kind of thing that's why I have trust issues...

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

There was also a hard-coded buff for Rangers at one point too. :p I won't say who put that in...

• Winner Winner x 1