1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EverQuest II: Chaos Descending Expansion Announced

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The moderator of these forums should ban himself for asking questions that are not constructive.

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I think this is a test. Three years in a row I've asked/begged them to do something to entice me into buying and three years in a row now they've managed to give less of a crap about convincing me to buy.

It kind of bums me out, too, because I liked E'ci. I always thought of her as a less crazy Auril you could pretend to reason with momentarily.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they only alluded to a pvp "idea", not another pvp sever to the existing game (in the same fashion that had been done before).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the BR idea was actually being developed, either as an eq3 or maybe an instance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

From the EQ2 forums:

[​IMG]
    Assuming it wasn't a joke and assuming they did in fact kill the idea, good for them. Given the resources they have available and the amount of people who would actually play on it, the server would've died faster than a level 1 getting ganked by a level 110. It's just not worth it and the optics would've been bad, too.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The problem with calling dev quotes about a PvP server "rumors" by "some guy" or a "random poster", is we have screenshots.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

What I responded to wasn't the dev quote. It was a post from a forum goer that asserted, without providing any links, that it was a for sure thing early next year.

I no longer see the post there.

I even stated that until something definitive from The Team (of which Roxxlyy is a part) comes out, that I wouldn't make a purchase.

I did apologize for the rumormongering statement, though it would have been easily enough avoided if the screenshots had accompanied the assertion. It's not my job to make his/her point for him/her.

Regardless, it is a single statement, made a few months ago, that no one seems to know if it was serious or not. Roxxlyy stated there are no plans for a PvP server, which trumps older information because, as I also pointed out, plans change. (which, if the link had been provided, is more or less what I would have said in place of rumors)

8. Feldon

I'd remembered that we had a whole thread about it here so it was still fresh in my mind. Roxxlyy is the moderator for pretty much all of Daybreak's game forums these days. It's just her and Mepps now. I remember when it was a team of 9 plus Brasse a couple of managers, events people, social media people, etc.. I guess I don't see why the word of the Lead Designer of the game would have less weight than someone who mostly bans people for saying things the devs don't like but I digress.

While SOE/Daybreak has never had full transparency, they did sometimes make an effort. Now, the days of any kind of clear communication out of this company seem to be behind us. Remember last year they announced a class balance pass and then withheld that it had been scrapped until after the preorders had rolled in.

9. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I went back over the thread.

The post I made was not directed at The Team. See bottom of page one for the comment in question, which I mistakenly thought had been removed. Some guy. Asserted there would be PvP. No links to back it up.

New expansion EverQuest II: Chaos Descending ETA: November! | EverQuest 2 Forums

It was also directed at Earar, who suggested that The Team deliberately let some classes remain, or caused them to be, broken and over-powered.

I was defending The Team, including Roxxlyy. Despite that I dislike how things are being handled now, from the top down, it's still unfair to imply smack, or talk smack about them for stuff they're not likely to be doing.

10. Feldon

I know you're trying to defend them. I defended the team on my website against "the enemy", namely inept senior producers, an executive producer thirsty for the limelight, a WoW-loving lead designer, and a revolving door of community people who always seemed too busy to give EQ2 the attention it deserved. For years I came up with more and more farfetched explanations for what I thought was a heroic team full of great ideas that were chafing against bad management and marketing. Well here we are and Kander, Gninja, and Caith have been in charge of EQ2 for the last 3 years with little to no interference from above outside of Marketplace strategy and what have we got to show for it?

A game so unfun and tedious that my partner -- who got me into EQ2 and is the reason EQ2Wire exists, and who played EQ and then EQ2 continuously from their respective launches until just last year (2017) -- just can't stomach the game anymore. The game is a mess of bolted on systems that don't behave as vaguely described. Compared to something like ESO, EQ2 makes players who want to group jump through hoops, and that's if they are at the same level. For the amount of busywork EQ2 demands of the player, there isn't a lot of carrot.

I remember RadarX expressing surprise to me that the EQ and EQ2 teams had remained so static for so long. It is extremely unusual in any creative property, whether a game, movie franchise, television series, comic/graphic novel production, etc. for the same team to turn out new product 50 weeks a year for 10 years without a break and maintain creativity or quality.

An infusion of new blood while EQ and EQ2 devs got some much-needed experience in modern game design tools would have been a good thing all around. EQ2 is still developed with mostly early 2000's tools. Any EQ2 dev walking out of the company right now will be at a massive disadvantage against fellow resume submitters.

The first step of change is admitting you have a problem. Nobody on the EQ2 team seems to think that there is anything wrong with EQ2 right now. Mention any problem no matter how small and they immediately get defensive and close ranks. This is completely different to the EQ2 team I experienced in Las Vegas where they were candid and introspective about the game's limitations and how it could be improved to make it more fun, more group-friendly, etc. Now, constructive feedback is responded to with anger and resentment. I don't know how you can fix anything in an environment where nobody thinks there's room for improvement.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  11. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

Didn't even know there was a prelude quest until I read this. Guess I'll do that tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

If you were around pre-TSO, you've basically already done it...

13. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Prelude quest:
    Talk to NPC 'something is going on, talk to my boss'
    Talk to boss in mage tower 'somethign IS going on go kill stuff and come back'
    Kill stuff a couple mobs and the tornado they came out of and go back to boss.
    Talk to boss: Yup! Something is going on.

That's the entire quest. And it is only SLIGHTLY less specific then the information the NPCs give....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I feel compelled to point out, that by all appearances of past behavior, neither the executive producer, the producer, or the lead designer have even the slightest problem with misinforming people, either by assertion or omission, if deceit serves their interests.

Kander could have easily and quickly acknowledged if his comment was just for funsies.

He didn't.

Now, the question is, was something indeed in the works when he made the statement, was he intentionally lieing, or was he just, once again, being a snarky little ahole?

33% chance of any of one of them.

I am inclined to believe it is plausible they were actually working on a BR concept, either under one of the titles, or as a stand alone - maybe they had notions to creat a testing environment before commiting money to development, then for whatever reasons, those plans were scrapped.

Tea leaves, I know - pure speculation. But, not an unreasonable scenario.

The one big thing that gives me pause, is that the EQ2 development team is not one that values or respects transparency, so tipping their hand would have likely made them highly uncomfortable.

In that case, they could still be working on something, or, it was just Kander being Kander.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  15. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

You guys gotta realise that this "PvP server" Kander is talking about is a battle royal gimmick server that requires a sub and is 6v6 teams in commonlands. Will burn and be dead after 3 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I believe you are likely close to the truth of it.

And, you have to run 868,000 of them to get enough tokens to buy bis adornments.

"Well, they hated pg's, why not a BR timesink? People love BR!"

"Well, we don't have the resources to make it a real BR."

"Who cares. Just standardize the gear and give everyone a crossbow. If the rewards are powerful enough, these people will do anything. Just make sure they have pay a sub and there is a p2w cash shop path."

. . . . .

"Change of plans. The new guy wants to run this idea on mobile."

"No worries. We barely put any time into it anyway."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Feldon

Oops. :)

18. azulkb

azulkb New Member

Yesterday i announce a simple fact in discord
    ptw>collectmeta>farmgrindheroic>raid loot

it's not true ? (ptw : infuser-familiar) / collectmeta (krono or intense farming), only way for reach spell double cast , / farm and grind offer overcap cb and head fervor / and after we have raid loot.

for say that i was immediatly banned from discord. So nothing change, they think we always give cash for stay virtualy powerful. this pseudo game need a boycott.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

So well written. This is exactly why I quit. Not only is it not fun anymore but they won't even listen to people trying to help them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Caith basically confirmed next TLE is pvp

"To clear up misinformation - there are no plans to break classes into being "OP" with this expansion, and we have no plans to launch a new "traditional" PvP server."

The community manager has no idea what the company she represents are doing.