1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ3 in development?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Bergex, May 8, 2018.

1. Bergex

Bergex New Member

So I saw an article posted on May 1st from a former Daybreak employee, that a EQ3 has been in development for over a year and it's going to compete against Pantheon, anyone else see that?

2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

To my knowledge, EQ3 has been in predevelopment for the last 2ish years with Holly is in charge. Lots of ideas but nothing greenlit yet.

Most of the rest of that rumor that was posted seemed pretty farfetched though.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

So
    So basically, Holly has spent the last couple of years trying to come up with workable ideas for eq3.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

I don't think this crew could come up with a good EQ3 now.

Hell, I don't think it could have come up with the games it has.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah. I assign the probability Holly would be awarded the budget necessary to produce a decent game that stands up to competitors as close to zero.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. WitlWogue

WitlWogue New Member

Why produce a decent game that stands up to competitors when you can build a shell product and sell $1000 Founder Packs?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Good point. They don't actually have to deliver on a game to start selling it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Heh, I don't think they could even come up with a halfway-decent cup of tea....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

After Landmark, I just can't imagine many shelling out money ahead of time. I certainly wouldn't. I'm actually not even sure I would play after even after it's release unless it gets sold to a new company and some of the current, bitter folks are replace with people who are customer driven and positive.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

They would have to have a playable, somewhat polished beta of EQ3 that we can download and run before anyone would give them a penny. If they haven't greenlit anything, that's minimum 3 years away. That's a lot of coasting on a quarter tank of gas.

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Sell it for $100

Offer it for $20 to anybody who bought the landmark packs and already invested $100.

We all know those who paid the LM pack would likely spend an extra $20 at that price, and those who didn't would likely buy it anyway to hope.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Fools and their money...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

This is just my personal take on EQ3 - and in all fairness is not based in any knowledge of its existence, development, or current possible state.

I think organizational that Daybreak burned a lot of bridges with customers for the Founder Packs that were sold for EQN and Landmark. I think they would be hard pressed to convince players to invest green dollars without a solid release. I don't foresee their present and certainly not their past customers having a "here take my money" attitude for "slideware" (i.e., software that only exists in a PowerPoint slide deck presentation).

Ignoring that "former employee" Reddit post about EQ3 being a battle-royale format as I think that just seems too far fetched...

I think if there was to be a Everquest-next or EQ3 - that it would be best developed as solely as mobile game with minimum entry price (like $20) and micro-transactions to ease gameplay. I don't foresee Daybreak having a runway of resources to create a AAA MMO title that runs on PCs or on a console platform. I think mobile title with a lesser-entry cost might attract a larger base of former nostalgic seeking players.

Understanding too that a polished mobile offering is still not cheap to produce and that market is already crowded with competitors, I would tend to think that is (assuming it still existing) a market of potential win-back-able customers if the entry cost is low enough.

And while certainly SOE / Daybreak has struggled with its past entries in the mobile area, I think this could be achievable for them given the current state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Serious question for all you "insiders who know stuff".

Is the Forgelight game engine even a viable option over the next 10 years?

15. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

$120 for a pre-alpha game is cheaper than $10,000 for the Pantheon version :D

16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You just strengthened Endymion's argument, Errrorr :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I don't think Forgelight is a factor in any of this since they're looking for software engineers with UE4 experience.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I was one of those people who regrettably paid the $100 for Landmark and I wouldn't give them 1 cent of my money today for anything without significant changes (to the staff/ownership) and something tangible to play and try out before buying.

What's sad is that experience has made me shy away from any pre-investing in games even though most of those have been positive experiences in the past (examples - LOTRO lifetime sub and SoTA for $25 before they even started developing). I'm not playing SoTA yet but I will probably try it out again and at least I own it already for a mere $25 and LOTRO I still play. Hopefully this CN mess won't affect LOTRO. :/

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Mysstie

Mysstie Member

Yeah, after Landmark, I won't pay for a pre-release access to anything from anybody.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Pink Poodle

Pink Poodle New Member

Looking at what has happened to other games and companies (I'm thinking of Radical Heights right tf now) it is very not a good idea to invest in almost any online game. Shrug.