1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

GLEEE!!!

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Tekka, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

If you moderate forums this way, all you will end up with is a forum of low-information coffee klatchers chatting about how wonderful things are but they can't understand why so many people are quitting. I've seen it on another forum. It's not pretty.
    EverQuest II is the 2nd lowest performing game at a spiraling game developer whose flagship game lost 90% of its customers in the last 6 months. eBay is the market leader auction site. Despite treating its sellers like #2, they are still #1. When you're the market leader, you can coast on inertia for a long time. Also eBay's website is more than serviceable and makes it stupid easy to put things up for sale, especially if there is already an existing template for said item. You can just click click click, copy, paste, and list an item without typing a single word or taking any photos. eBay has pretty thorough documentation on how to do most things on their website. It's piecemeal but it's there. In contrast, EQ2 is unnecessarily complex and has ZERO online documentation.

The comparison of these two is puzzling.
    I put 9 years in and in the end, they just didn't give a sh!t. I don't have detailed statistics or opinions from my most active readers. I can only guess that they were a self-selected group of people who saw the writing on the wall but were continuing to stay in-game because of friendships. I can only guess that most of them were just one or two more bizarre dev decisions away from quitting.

I'm banned from the official Forums and Discord.
    My e-mails to them about Census are ignored.
    I have been blacklisted from the community by the devs.

I'm genuinely curious what you think flinging myself into the wood chipper for another year would possibly gain me or the EQ2 community? I'm curious what you think you, as a player, are OWED by me?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I read this post...then I had to go back and read it again....because it made absolutely no sense.

But then again, my posts rarely make sense either.

We have that in common at least.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

All I can say is thank you Feldon for every thing you have done and still try to do in support of the community past and present. Thank you for allowing us to come here and talk about a game that many of us have spent many hours and dollars on over the last 14 years.

Many of us have moved on, many are considering moving on, and some of us still log in because of friends. Whether we still actively play or not, this game has been a part of our lives and it is great to be able to come here and talk about it if we want to without judgment or fear of being banned just because we don't always feel positive or have glowing feed back. I/we don't take you for granted. :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Archangel

Archangel New Member

You're right. It isn't pretty. After over fifteen years of 'moderate it our way,' the eBay forums are full of exactly what you described. Which is why the savvy go elsewhere. And they have multiple elsewhere's to go to.

Yes, in the corporate sense eBay doesn't care. It's all about reputation management at this point. Reputation is all they left. Sort of like Daybreak.

I would have mentioned other forums like Battlefront 2 and that other clusterfunk. But they actually allow posts, that would be removed/banned on Daybreak or eBay forums. As far as I'm concerned, D and E are the worst.

Segue from strawman.

eBay is the "market leader auction site", because it's essentially the only auction site*. For years they're been moving away from auctions. And for many many years have transitioned to being a retail site. The bulk of their revenue comes from fixed price/retail. At least that was the vision, in writing, of the EX-CEO. Although the new one is more of the same.

* Okay, Sothebys and Christie's come to mind. But they're primarily in-person auctions, and have been around longer.

Seque from strawman.

Amazon could be responsible for nearly half of U.S. e-commerce sales in 2017
    U.S. e-commerce sales
    Amazon - 43.5% 2017, 38.1% 2016
    eBay - 6.8% 2017, 7.8% 2016
    Apple - 3.6% 2017, 3.2% 2016
    Walmart - 3.6% 2017, 2.8% 2016

At this rate Apple and Walmart will surpass eBay "real soon now."

Seque from strawman.

Amazon ($1,479.75 stock price) is #1. eBay ($42.92 stock price) has not been the market leader for years.

Amazon forums are moderated with much more common sense. You can post something there, that would get you banned on the Daybreak or eBay forums.

The point was company run forums. Ergo the comparison of one forum to another forum is valid. eBay and Daybreak forums want suck-up posts and no dissent. Amazon forums will accept all sides, within civil reason.

And you're pushing a company to company comparison; strawman. Can go that route too in a separate discussion, using Amazon as WoW. And the relative numbers are about right.

Can't speak for everyone, but I'll say, 'we know.' Which is why making these posts is difficult. I have never received any pleasure out of poking an open wound. But sometimes you have too. And I have done that figuratively and literally. Gushing blood is Not Funny.

The voice of reason.

You don't owe anyone anything. A person thinking 'they owe me' would make DEMANDS.

I'm asking you to reconsider.

Incidentally, except for the justified strawman mention and your YELLING AT ME, this discussion has been civil. Such a conversation would be banned on the other two forums.

"Somewhat as a voice in the wilderness"
    "Do we want to get to the moon or not?"
    John Houbolt, 1962
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/somewhat-voice-wilderness-things-apollo-program-can-still-tupper

Spoiler: We did. In part due to John Houbolt.

5. Feldon

Writing accurately about the game would require playing the game. You're asking me to do something I don't want to do so that I can research doing something that no longer brings me any enjoyment for about $40 worth of Google Adsense revenue and a few attaboys.

P.S. There are copious internet resources available to familiarize yourself with the elusive concept of a strawman argument. Using them would be time well spent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

After Cato had been made priest of Apollo, he took a house apart, accepted his share of the patrimony, which amounted to a hundred and twenty talents, and began to live yet more simply than before. He made a close companion of Antipater the Tyrian, a Stoic philosopher, and devoted himself especially to ethical and political doctrines. He was possessed, as it were, with a kind of inspiration for the pursuit of every virtue; but, above all, that form of goodness which consists in rigid justice that will not bend to clemency or favor, was his great delight. He practiced also the kind of speaking which is effective with a multitude, deeming it right that in political philosophy, as in a great city, a certain warlike element should also be maintained. However, he did not perform his exercises in company with others, nor did any one ever hear him rehearsing a speech. Indeed, to one of his companions who said, "Men find fault with thee, Cato, for thy silence," he replied: "Only let them not blame my life. I will begin to speak when I am not going to say what were better off unsaid."

- Reference link

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Feldon

My brain hurts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I just want to know where Guild guy and Tekka's troll have gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

This for me as well. Because the rest of the posts just made my head hurt....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Do go on....I feel like you have left some things unsaid.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Regarding troll guy, no one was feeding him, so he prolly took his ball and went home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Goodness... He's at it again, with a whole new recruiting idea...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
  13. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

Lol!! Oh dear now I’ve got to go look

14. Kokorobosoi

Kokorobosoi New Member

I’m a bad bad ranger... lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tkia

Tkia Active Member

Sadly that's not a new idea at all. I went through a patch a while back where every time I logged a toon onto Storms, or even switched character I got a guild invite in my face. When I had a go at the culprit one day he was all surprised as he'd never heard of me and actually admitted that he was running some kind of program that spammed them out automatically.