1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Wondered how long this would take...

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Constructive feedback and bugs are looked at differently by all the devs from my experience;

Chrol/Jamiss - "Will investigate.", usually fixed within a week or 2.
    Kander - "It's not broken".
    Gninja - "Agreed, but I need to speak to Kander", see above.
    Kaitheel - "Agrees" and fixes.
    Caith - 2 year ago - "Agreed, fixing"
    Caith - Now - "Don't do that "
    Ttobey - "I like flying chipmunks"

Sadly what I've come to realise is it doesn't matter how much feedback you give, the team won't act on it until it's way too late, or they can see some $$$ value out of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I have had some fairly vigorous disagreements on the Other Forums. I do my best to not attack the person, but point out the flaws in their ideas or arguments. I think I'm reasonably successful.

NO U, LOSER! - is much easier than to point out flaws or fallacies or to research an informed response. And certainly much easier than to be open to the idea that YOU could be the one that's wrong. Personally, I know I make mistakes, and while it can be humbling, I'd much rather be correct than right - but you gotta show me that evidence, that logic.

Positive feedback comes primarily in two forms: praise for enjoyment and blind defense of 'your thing'. The first informs the subject of what you enjoy, so they can do more of that. The second gives no indication of what is actually good or bad, so the subject often continues to make mistakes.

Negative feedback also comes primarily in two forms: negative feedback (some more or less constructive) and blind (usually frothing) hate. Negative feedback informs the subject what is not liked, and often why it's not liked, so that it can be improved on in the future (and lead to praise). While the frothing does little but express that for some not clearly expressed reason you hate everything about them and what they do, and offers no path to improvement.

I think in both cases, folks should strive for the first example of each - though the second is often easier.

It should be noted that the blind cheerleaders will often accuse those who post negative feedback - even when it's constructive - of being a frothing hater for 'attacking' 'their thing'. It's easier to dismiss someone you've dragged down to your level, if only in your own mind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Sometimes someone says something so ridiculously hateful, inaccurate, and toxic that the idea that any other person might believe even a fraction of what they are saying makes you physically sick.

That's where we are with politics in this country by the way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Sad, but far too true :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Which is exactly why I have stopped giving any type of feedback on the other forums.

6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Spot on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Agree, criticize the argument, not the person. I've always tried to do this, and if I screw that up, I'll apologize for it.

2 problems though.

First is that many people have a hard time separating an argument they've constructed, an idea they believe in, or an action they've taken from their self concept.

Second problem is when people are hiding things.

In both cases, there is little chance you can avoid triggering ego defense mode.

As far as attacking the person, that is just a cheap way of trying to win an argument by shifting it away from the idea.

• Agree Agree x 4