1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Care and Feeding of Wild Fansites

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Dellmon, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Dellmon

Dellmon Member

I happen to notice this video in the EQ2Wire twitter feed and found it to be an interesting watch.

While watching it did make me wonder - - how much of what was shared was by the panelists was "theoretical / conference speak" vs. "actual real-world implementation"...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

Very interesting!

3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

That was quite a video to watch. I used to get pushback from SOE staff when I would say that supporting fansites was in the company's best interest. They'd say fansites don't need our support or argued over what that support would be. Others said it was a waste of finances that was better spent on other things.

Sad to hear so many of the things I told them, which were repeatedly shot down, being described as the status quo and bare minimum at other companies, several much smaller than Daybreak.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I know Rift, from personal experience, hands out codes for stuff like special mounts, boxes and things like that for give aways. And in one case a lead dev (I don't remember his exact title) Dead Simon - he does the puzzles and artifact stuff - was a guest judge in a player/fansite hosted maze dimension building contest.

I'm not a game company or developer, but it's my money that they're after and I think that support of fansites and fans, customers, players of all stripes is vital to their success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Someone post it on the EQ2 forum and watch this new kid they hired as community manager ban you faster than you can say TheyBreakGa.......

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

This is great. Can't remember the last time I saw a company (dbg) take a posture that is so exactly opposite of nearly everything described as good community relations practices by this panel.

Course, who are we to criticize. I mean, DBG doesn't need practices like this, because they know what they are doing.

It's why their sales are so awesome.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 2