1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Wondered how long this would take...

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Fuli, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Xakrein

Xakrein Member

Now I am curious... Not just a suspension, but a permanent ban from the forums? How did you manage that?

2. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I’m also curious. I created another account to ask and instead of a reply, they banned that one too. They blocked my IP addie after that.

Roshen banned quite a few regular posters. I guess we were too opinionated. The only other posters name I can remember now is Gaeliege, (probably spelled wrong) I don’t get why he was banned either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

At this point, all that's left is to chronologue all the issues and concerns. They're not going to read it. The're not going to listen to it or make any changes based on it. In fact they're going to ban people for it if it's done on the official forums. We are, right now, writing EQ2's post-mortem.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I just got another glimpse of how spot on the post-mortem bit is.

I made a post on the Other Forums about stack size, and items that could potentially stack. Another poster who is often a bit sarcastic and biting responded with:

No

Stop trying to make the game easy mode.

Manage your inventories, banks, houses, depots, and dungeons like a real masochist. Data base be damned.

Go play a twitch game with 5 buttons ya scrub

It's a joke. I laughed. I even posted that it made me snort water out my nose. Both that post, and mine responding to it were deleted. (though another post further down that quoted his was not removed)

Either some humorless tw*t(s) reported it and it was moderated without the person reviewing it. Or whomever doing the moderation is a potentially humorless tw*t and just removed the posts.

So ready for this to be over.

5. Feldon

EQ2's moderator/Community Manager was 12 when I started EQ2Wire. They've put a kid in charge of the community for a game that has lacked a decent Community Manager for 7 of its last 9 years.

I've gotta trot this one out again...

censusban-wormtongue2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. CoLDMeTaL

CoLDMeTaL Active Member

Never played EQ, is in the same seeming spiral? Seems like those people still love it.

7. Feldon

EQ is in a lot better shape. They seem to be vaguely steering in the direction of giving players some of the things they want. For some reason this is leading to better customer retention. Probably just a fluke!

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

EQ players are more like veterans and less like snowflakes. The EQ2 bubble is a real phenomena.

I imagine the technical aspects of EQ are easier to manage than EQ2 because the hardware, database and code aren't a complete train wreck that is now on fire.

In a general sense, it's also a lot more simplistic, so I think easier to change certain aspects. And yes, there is that super weird thing about doing stuff the players ask for/like so they are happier and stick around, not sure how they even...

9. Shmogre

Shmogre Active Member

I'm torn on the moderation thing. Lots of people seem to agree that they don't want another eq2flames, and it's definitely not in a company's interest to let their official-branded forums devolve into trolling, name calling, thread jacking, and so on.

So I can see that deleting comments can be necessary, and even an occasional time-out for a few. But bans (be they short or permanent) are something that should be given out sporadically and with detailed documentation, both for the company's and for the player's sake.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

The amount of inventory space and its effect on character size is a real problem, adding more just allows people to hoard more rather than actually manage their inventory. God knows whenever I log into an MMO that I haven't played in a while and I see all of the inventory **** I'd have to deal with I just usually log back out instead. I know this is kind of a overly-simplistic view, but I'm talking about the general case.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

Actually, I'm the one who reported it - I felt a bit foolish when I saw that everyone else seemed to be taking it as a joke.

For the record, I very seldom report posts on the official forums, however, I really dislike posts that appear to be personal attacks. I've had that poster on ignore for quite some time, but happened to look at that particular post. Oops!

12. Feldon

You're seeing more and more players pop up on the official forums with an aggressive attitude towards other players who share less than glowing praise for the current direction of the game. It's the logical result of some of the behavior we're seeing by developers in Discord.

At the height of RadarX' management of the EQ2 forums, several posters had found exactly how to instigate and bait other players into arguments without themselves getting tagged for it. After seeing several high quality posters quit in disgust, while trolls who contribute absolutely nothing gained a foothold because they knew exactly where to drive a wedge, I vowed to not allow a repeat of this on my forums. If there is extremely negative behavior here, this behavior can be publicly called out by another poster. There are obvious risks here, but I'm going to try this as a policy. Community policing can absolutely work.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I retract my speculation about the reporter. I have my own knee jerk reactions at times (worse after the rounds I've gone on the Other Forums with some), and you seem a decent sort.

I also understand that particular poster has somehow weaponized sarcasm.

Further, I also appreciate those who report what they think are personal attacks. A good argument, or attacking an idea is one thing, attacking a person is another matter entirely. It's then up to the moderator to evaluate the post.

The failing here is that of the moderator, who didn't take the post in context of the thread, or the other poster's reactions to it.

And for some reason also deleted my post laughing at it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

I had to think about how I wanted to respond to this, because I think it's important - and because I believe there is a distinction that should be made.

When a game has official, company sponsored forums, some level of official presence should be maintained with both two way communication and fair moderation. Unfortunately, I can't remember a time when EQ2 forums have really had either of those things in adequate measure.

In a situation like that the company has to uphold its own standards on language, subject matter and play nice policies equitably with all posters. Again, it's unfortunate that for as long as I can remember, this hasn't been the case with EQ2.

On the forums of a fansite, I think that there is more benefit to a predominantly community policed set up. It's a lot easier for folks to see <poster> is a jerk talking out his ass if <poster> is allowed to... talk, as it were. Nothing will burn that sort of person down faster than their own words, most of the time.

That being said, I think there is some subject matter that should be moderated or deleted - doxing, for instance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

For the record, @Feldon, being the curious sort, I counted. I have 82 posters on ignore on the official forums... and one on ignore here. I believe it's also someone I have on ignore over there, as the name is the same, and that's all I'm going to say about that. :rolleyes:

These forums are like a breath of fresh air. Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

When they request feedback, it's mostly window dressing because they are not going to change any design concepts based on player feedback or suggestions. We are stupid, they are smart.

The only exceptions genereally are bug/script issues. That s a good deal for them. Many players will pay to test their product and find the bugs for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Exactly. Trolling on the official forums is just fine as long as you are a fanboy draped in the DBG flag. In that case you can offend other players just fine, especially those critical of the game.

On the flip side, if you criticize the game or the design decisions being made, you will be labeled a troll, because you are offending the players defending it and the devs building it.

This is essentially the rationalization Roxanne articulated to support my ban warning.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Feldon

Tekka you described in two words what it took me a paragraph to say. Weaponized sarcasm.

We're not going to have personal attacks (ad hominems). Doxing is strictly forbidden in our rules. Because we have the latitude of being a "fansite", I think, after other attempts to resolve a matter have failed, it is not unreasonable to ask a player what their goals or motivations are for a certain line of questioning or a certain tack they seem to be taking in their posts. And if someone is engaging in in-game Behavior which is destructive I think discussion is healthy and helpful.

Obviously I'll watch things carefully for abuse. Reports will be appreciated and investigated.

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  19. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

I have never understood why players attack their fellow players. I can honestly say that I have never done that and will only directly address another player if I feel I am being unfairly attacked.

When I have posted feedback on the forums, be it positive or negative, it is directed at the company in general. I don't understand why some players only want positive feedback when we are all paying to play this game and we are the reason it continues to exist.

I think that some players and perhaps the company don't understand that some of the most passionate and devoted players of the game are entitled to be unhappy some times and want to express that. Most of us start out by being gracious and only devolve into a negative tone when we are harassed or ignored.

Negative feedback is also constructive and in my opinion, just as valuable if not more so than positive some times. I think a producer of a product should consider all feedback from its consumer's as valuable and if they don't it is to their detriment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Forum PVP is the best PVP!

Negative feedback can be constructive, but isn't always. There are definitely posters who take the time to detail why they don't like something, which is more important than just knowing that they don't like it (though obviously, if a lot of people don't like something, even if they're not telling you why it's time to break out the Sherlock Holmes outfit). Understandably, some of these posters eventually get tired of pissing in the wind when changes aren't made that satisfy them, and maybe they stop being so constructive in their feedback.

I do wish more people took the time to express why they liked something, too. Not to toot the developers' horns, but so they can learn why players find a particular piece of content engaging and aim to do more of that in the future, without relying on statistics that can offer a skewed perspective ("Man, everyone sure loves running this super boring dungeon that takes two minutes to complete and has really good loot!").

• Agree Agree x 5