1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Smedley to run new online game project for Amazon

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Democyde, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Democyde

Democyde New Member

Amazon Game Studios gave John Smedley a new online game team to run

John Smedley, in a literal definition of failing upwards, has landed the plum job of running a new game development team for Amazon. It'll be interesting to see if the virtually unlimited resources of Amazon, coupled to The Smed's propensity for unlimited promises, can finally result in a project being released.

2. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

Just wait until he starts a twitter spat with a squad of packet kids and drops Amazon during some shopping season. Jokes aside, Amazon doesn't care about monies, this could be pretty interesting.

3. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

They just keep throwing him money.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Einelinea

Einelinea New Member

Hope he does better than his last endeavor -- Hero's Song -- it was live for about a month
    Hope McQuaid can get rid of his own "devil's" and get Pantheon going, we will see ...
    These two guys haven't had a whole lotta luck ...

5. IakeFD

IakeFD Member

6. Democyde

Democyde New Member

I didn't know that. I just can't see a game like that making enough money to cover development costs.

7. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

A GOOD 2D pixel art game could make a fortune.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Einelinea

Einelinea New Member

Hero's Song just wasn't my thing -- I had problems with corpse runs back in the day, but permanent death? (which is what I heard in the production stage of it, don't know if it made out to the final game or not) - no thank you lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ZUES

ZUES New Member

They must be looking for a tax write off if they hired John Smedley. He's the embodiment of failure. Don't expect anything great to come of this. If Amazon was smart they would have hired Scott Hartsman.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zorvan

Zorvan Member

I'm gonna laugh if Smedster convinces Amazon to buy the EQ IP from CN.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thyrr

Thyrr New Member

Ultima Online!
    Used to love that game a lot! Havent tried Shroud Of The Avatar yet though, Richard "Lord British" Garriotts follow-up on that game.....but I'm tempted.

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

12. Nolus

Nolus Member

Not sure how on earth a company think smed knows what hes doing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ZUES

ZUES New Member

So I did some digging around to check and see if Amazon has announced anything. They have not. But what I did discover is interesting. They have their own open source engine called "Lumberyard" (or something like that. That engine was recently used in Star Citizen and a couple other games. I also checked on my Facebook and Twitter and noticed that Smed took his entire Hero Song team with him to Amazon. So if I wanted to speculate I would suggest Amazon wanted Hero Song (or a similar game) that was built on their engine. Who knows. But I honestly think if Smed is leading it then it is doomed to fail. Sorry, I know some of you guys like him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Uxtalzon

Uxtalzon Member

Like a game of hot potato except you're the potato and you know, eventually, someone is going throw you over a fence.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I actually bought the first tier of the kickstarter for Shroud of the Avatar way back when it was $25. I can't say I regret it since I invested so little but the game is super clunky and just didn't end up being what I had hoped for so I haven't really played it other than to know I don't like it. Also having a land rush before the game is even officially released seemed like a bad move.