1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Now that we got gearscore (Resolve) isnt it time for an actual LFG for heroics?

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Sweatypie, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I have always been against a LFG in my MMOs but since DBG actively added gearscore, called Resolve, isnt it time that we get an actual working LFG for heroic 6 man content? I dont see any arguments against it. The heroic content could unlock once you reach the resolve threshold.

People can still spam LFG, people can still run with their guilds, but solo players that still wants to group 5 man would have an easier time. Queue up and go do other content while waiting.

Making it work across realms would be brilliant.

The only argument against it would be development time, but in my opinion it would be a good and well worth effort. I don't buy into the whole realm community being destroyed in EQ2 any longer, that phase it long gone. A year ago even suggesting it would have hurt, but today, I dont really care as long as it gives me a chance to run the content, even on smaller pop servers.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I've been pushing for a decent dungeon finder since Critical Mitigation was in the game.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Except resolve isn't really gear score. I've seen people with crazy resolve and scary low potency. In such groups my healer beats 'dps' class toons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ynnek

Ynnek New Member

Then have it display Resolv / Crit Bonus / Potency in the group builder window. Yes, it's not a perfect solution, it has downsides. But it's still miles better than nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Or even resolve, hp, pot.. but one alone isn't enough, yeah.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Inire

Inire Not really an evil duck, just misunderstood.

there is an underlying Item Score value.

that's how the total amount of "points" assigned to items gets determined.

There was a patch where it was visible on live, but it was quickly bug patched the next day.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that gear goes off the weighting of stats that assumes 60 dps = 3,450 ab mod (based on current green adorns). And it would, undoubtedly, weight the crappy 11 resolve gear with 100 pot above the solo gear with 700 pot... because reasons :p

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Have you heard why it has never been added?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Feldon

Something about how dungeon finder "ruined" grouping in wow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Demoneque

Demoneque Guest

I wonder why they see it that way. A group of friends and I took a short hiatus from the game for a month to try out WoW and we had a good time. I really enjoyed being able to log in and have a group doing an instance in only a few short minutes. Sometimes now it feels like the game is a very attractive looking IRC client since we just get stuck sitting in chat trying to get a group together instead of actually playing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Yeah I've seen that argument too... I just never thought an actual developer would use it because its so dumb.

Making content accessable to the masses, especially now seen as the EQ2 population has dropped quiet a bit would ruin nothing.

I might be able to understand it if you had a game that had active people online all the time, doing group content, but thats hardly the case in EQ2.

• Like Like x 3
  12. wiouxev

wiouxev New Member

Until they could implement it cross-server it would hardly be worth any development time IMO

13. Feldon

Problems:
    • Most people are logged in on Alts working on old quests and stuff.
    • Most people are not watching public chat channels because they are a toilet of politics and epeen measuring.
    • Dungeon Finder does not perform even the most rudimentary gear/health check to see if people can survive the content.
    • People don't like putting together groups.
    Less of a problem:
    • Not enough people on any one server to actually group.
    I talked to Kander for an hour one day about 5 years ago of what a Dungeon Finder / Group Builder window needs to be. It needs to let us show up on the list even if we are logged in on Alts. It needs to let people pick names and put together a group based on a tank, healer (or 2), and dps/utility. It needs to let us see each character's potency, health, and resolve. And each zone needs to have minimum required stats.

If we had all that, then the cross-server becomes less important. The problem with cross-server is potential collisions between broker/bank/inventory data between characters. Plus people would use it to trade stuff like Krono. And they'd have to leave out Isle of Refuge since everything is tradeable there.

14. wiouxev

wiouxev New Member

I agree with a lot of your points Feld, but even as populated as WoW is, they still use cross-server dungeon finder because even in WoW there would be a lot of waiting with DF if it was only on the local server.

A non cross-server DF would still be worlds better than nothing at all.

15. Halfbreed

Halfbreed New Member

At this point, cross-server doesn't mean much because there's not a lot of servers to cross, especially if you only let traditional servers group with each other.

Also, if you allow alts to be considered, you would have to be able to see groups looking for more no matter what toon your are on, but you could only join the group if you got on the correct toon. Otherwise, which of your characters is the tool going to use to make sure you meet the minimum requirement?

16. Dedith

Dedith New Member

The way I'd make it.. (and note, there are still flaws here)

to LFG, you flag which characters on this account you want to be LFG for from from a list and it shows each of them as separate characters LFG to others. You're notified when you are selected for a group and can flag when you're ready or not, showing all the other group members and their stats (same as LFM window below) and the loot rules. You can toggle being ready or cancel out at any time here. When everyone is available, it pops up a prompt box asking if you want to log over to the other character. If you hit yes, it does a zone out effect with your character immediately and 'camps' it out where you are, then loads the proper character into the dungeon instance requested. Note, this tool should not show ANY of your characters as LFG if none of your characters are online.

When forming a group via the tool and looking for group members, the tool will show characters with certain stats.. these stats should be customizable.. default to hp, resists, mitigation, resolve, cb, pot, fervor. These should reflect the unmentored stats just in case someone is chrono'd or mentored down when they logged. Select your groups loot rule. If you select someone and they have multiple characters in the list, the others on that account become unavailable or at the least unselectable. (yes, abusable to those trying to hide their alt characters, but they don't need to flag them all as LFG either...) When the group members are selected, they show their ready state for jumping into the zone. The group leader should have the ability to remove someone at this point to avoid folks afk or being trolls. Once everyone is marked ready, it prompts folks to zone into the instance on their character. Loot rules are locked and cannot change at this point.

When the dungeon is exited via the normal exit, the character is 'camped' and they log back into the character they were originally on while LFG and located back where they were prior to the instance. If the log into the character they grouped with, it is placed back at the location it was prior to the group instance. If they LD/Crash during the instance, logging back into the character in the instance takes them back into the instance/group. If they attempt to log back into another character, it prompts them that the group that they were in is still going and asks if they still want to log into the non-grouped character.

Note, there are a lot of backend tracking needed for this.. like globally tracking groups and their members across servers. This is not simple in the slightest and probably improbable to do. However, that's more or less my rough draft.