1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Mitigation

Discussion in 'Items, Equipment, and Mechanics' started by Tsurupettan, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Tsurupettan

Tsurupettan New Member

So, combat mitigation. One of the big question marks from the expansion! Instead of hunting for an epic, I'm sitting down to try and figure this out. It'll take a lot of testing, so any help from others would be appreciated.

I've picked out a handful of targets with different combat mitigation values. We can't really compare the targets to each other because we don't have a grasp on what exactly their resistances are otherwise, so we can only compare apples to apples. Below is a list of examples, ordered by lowest to highest:

Obulus Frontier trash mob: 3663 Combat Mit.
    Obulus Frontier solo named: 3913
    T1 Zone trash (such as Cabilis): 6044
    T2 Zone trash (such as Ritual Chamber): 6931
    Obulus Frontier group named: 7381
    Reaver's Challenge trash: 8041

For my test on the Obulus Frontier trash, I got on my Channeler which has a -4.2 combat mit debuff. Took off my primary weapons, cleared my AA spec aside from my pet's healing tick and my combat mit debuff. It is important to not have the '7 second buff' from your second prestige tree, as casting a combat mit debuff will trigger it and throw off Consistency values.

To begin with, I picked out a Jibsnapper and I cast Smite of Consistency a few times. It did 974051 damage. Next, I put up my debuff of -4.2 and cast Smite of Consistency a few more times. It did 981574 damage. That led to an increase of 0.7723415% damage.

Afterward I did a test on two different solo named in OF: Yurrtlee and Salty. I'll save some time and just say that they took the same damage from attacks. Base hit was 822915, debuffed hit was 830087. This is a 0.871536% increase in damage.

We can already see some inconsistencies in gains. The same debuff on a higher combat mit mob led to a slightly larger gain in damage. This tells us that it isn't a flat amount per point of combat mit.

I have also determined that you can't go negative on combat mitigation debuffs. It will read a negative number on Detect Weakness, but result in no additional damage gain.

What I need from other people is additional data points! Pick targets and perform the same test, but with different values of debuffs. I am going to grab a friend and check the T1 trash tomorrow.

Please provide the following in your posts:

Target mob name & combat mit
    Value of Combat Mit debuff
    Consistency damage with no debuff
    Consistency damage with debuff.

Alternatively, if you think my method of testing is flawed, please let me know how/why and what I can do to improve the accuracy of it!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. Inyala

Inyala New Member

Good initiative.

One small correction: the damage increases were 0.77% and 0.87%. It's not that useless.

Plotting all 4 data points into a single graphs clearly shows that there is indeed another variable (or more) which prevents comparing the results from different types of mobs together.

One thing that would help to check is if applying the combat mit debuff does indeed lower the mobs combat mit by the stated amount. Also, to improve the accuracy of the testing, it would help to get more than 2 data points on the same mob by applying more than 1 combat mit debuff at the same time.

3. Tsurupettan

Tsurupettan New Member

Yes, sorry, I'm tired as heck and I goofed with the decimal places while doing conversions. I fixed that now.

Your other points are good. I was testing alone so I didn't have others to apply additional combat mit debuffs. I also was on my Channeler for that, since my assassin would have to apply a poison or greenmist to get the debuff, so I didn't Detect Weakness after putting it up. I just assumed it was a flat subtraction, as per comments from Caith.

Tomorrow, when I am more awake, I will rope guildmates into my testing and get some more data points. Do be careful about which combat mit debuffs you test out! Make sure the debuff isn't reducing the mitigation of the same damage type you're using to test! For example, on my assassin, I am using Strike of Consistency with physical damage. So it's a-okay if I test with Zander's, but it's not okay if I try that with my Channeler's Consistency spell.

4. Tsurupettan

Tsurupettan New Member

With the -2.7 combat mit poison, 'a kromdul forest giant' drops from 3663 to 3652.080078125 (this is the exact number given by Detect Weakness), which is just about a 0.3% decrease in combat mit.

With Greenmist (-6.7) it goes from 3663 to 3656.3350219727, which is a decrease of about 0.192%

With Greenmist and -2.7 poison (-9.4 total) it goes from 3663 to 3645.4151000977, which is a decrease of about 0.494%

5. Tsurupettan

Tsurupettan New Member

an Army Behemoth, Reaver's Challenge. Numbers rounded off a bit.

Baseline Combat Mitigation: 8041
    With Greenmist: 8034.3349609375, decrease of 0.08713% or 6.66503906
    With Exp. Poison: 8030.080078125, decrease of 0.136% or 10.9199219
    With Both: 8023.4150390625, decrease of 0.2192% or 17.5849609
    2GM+Poison: 8016.75, decrease of 0.303% or 24.25
    3GM+Poison: 8010.0849609375, decrease of 0.386% or 30.9150390625
    3GM No Poison: 8021.0048828125, decrease of 0.249% or 19.9951171875

6. Inyala

Inyala New Member

That is interesting.

The 4 blue dots in below graph are the point with poison + 0 to 3 greenmist procs. There is a clear linear correlation between the debuff amount and the resulting combat mit.

The 3 orange dots are those without the poison, and 0, 1 and 3 greenmist procs. These do not match at all with the blue line.

upload_2016-12-21_9-35-13.png

7. Nero

Nero New Member

I feel like your first orange point is off.... its up at 8080, when the baseline mit of the mob is only at 8041... id say that if you fix that data point, the line will look a lot better.

8. Inyala

Inyala New Member

Oh, right. That point is off.

Still doesn't make sense to me when I correct that though, as 1 poison (-2.7) does more than 1 greenmist (-6.7).

upload_2016-12-22_9-3-20.png

However, if I assume the tooltip for the poison is lying and is actually debuffing by 10.9199 while greenmist debuffs for 6.665, it fits perfectly.
    upload_2016-12-22_9-5-57.png

9. Nero

Nero New Member

Im gonna go with my theory of that poison tooltip amount is probably being modified by something like potency, or CB, or both...

I mean we tested it several times and the poison definitely without a doubt debuffs more than the greenmist.

woot data!! *drool*

Obviously still have a very long ways to go, but at the conclusion of this journey, id also like to figure out how much combat mit is actually affecting our DPS output.... i dont think anyone has an idea of what the actual correlation is outside of more combat mit = less DPS...

10. Tsurupettan

Tsurupettan New Member

I'll work on some actual mitigation testing next week. I have a guest over currently so I'm not playing too much for a few days.