1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Help connecting to the websocket in python.

Discussion in 'Census: Planetside 2' started by Slidedrum, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Slidedrum

Slidedrum Guest

I am trying to connect to the Planetside 2 api in Python. I can poll ps2/characters_event no problem. But I can't seem to connect to the websocket server, as I am not sure what port to use (I think). So what port does the Planetside 2 API use? currently I have this (the relevant part anyway):
    Code:
    import socketimport timePS2 = socket.socket()PS2.connect(('wss://push.planetside2.com/streaming?service-id=s:example',6667))while 1:    time.sleep(1)    print PS2.recv(2048)
    and I get this error:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):  File "C:/Users/Slidedrum/Desktop/py/api.py", line 4, in <module>    PS2.connect(('wss://push.planetside2.com/streaming?service-id=s:example',6667))  File "C:python27libsocket.py", line 224, in meth    return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args)gaierror: [Errno 11004] getaddrinfo failed
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  2. kalimag

kalimag Guest

Websockets use standard HTTP(S) ports by default, i.e. 443 for WSS.

"getaddrinfo failed" sounds more like a DNS issue or something along those lines, though. I'm not familiar with Python, but are you sure that socket is actually the right library? There's a difference between ordinary (IP) sockets and websockets, the latter of which are a specialized protocol built on top of HTTP