1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

I need a new MMO!

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Zhaanish, Apr 14, 2020.

1. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Yeah, you'll want to start colleting materia for melding, but you only have to worry about overmelding if you plan to wear crafted sets long-term (or you want to be a crafter/gatherer, yourself). You can only overmeld crafted gear. Otherwise, when the time comes, just work towards whatever current equipment you want, and get the Crystal Tower raid line completed in preparation for the level 80 purple weapon quest.

2. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean you were able to jump in a group despite having no street cred value >= 95 out of 100?

And you didn't have to join a large, casual-friendly guild that has time to help players outside of raiding?

And people were kind?

And helpful?

Huh. I guess the working group-finder tool that people asked for 15 years ago was a good idea after all. Which is strange, because players don't understand what they want from games.

P.S. I found the flash drive that had Diablo II saved on it. Been a fun return to the more old school feel :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

And no one did the 'examine' thing and kick anyone for not having x amount of resolve or potency, or the latest and greatest adorns, or fully infused gear, etc. We all just did our best with what we had (I am horribly undergeared but it didn't matter), and got through the dungeon in sufficiently quick time to get the bonus in xp and coin for a quick run. Once the dungeon (duty) was finished, you automatically dropped group on exiting. I also think the party/duty finder tool is cross-world too (not sure about that - Wulfgyr or Jimmybananas may be able to correct me if I'm wrong).

I did 2 more duties using the duty finder last night. Both times were repeats of the first - painless, and actually (dare I say it) enjoyable. I really like the duty* roulette option too - you can queue for random duties and if you are a class that is in demand (say, healer) then you get an additional bonus.

*'Duty' means instance.

Edit: I am REALLY enjoying this game. There's a lot to do, and it's not all handed to you on a plate - you have to hunt out missions/quests/duties etc. But you get class-related quests that have their own storyline to the main quest, exploration is meaningful, and I haven't even looked at crafting yet. Healers are valued, and you have to work at it - you have to be on your toes yet you're not exhausted by the end of it all trying to keep everyone alive. It's a great balance between super-hard-core and too casual.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

Long ago soon after FFXIV game came out I was doing a story dungeon. I think it was the second one or maybe the third. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I don't like looking up content before I try it. One of the people in the random group was like, "Why isn't anyone doing the thing?! Do the thing!!" I don't even remember what the mechanic was at this point, but I simply said something along the lines of, "I'm new and I've never done this before. What thing?" So the whole group apologized and explained the mechanic in the middle of the fight. We won and everyone was handing out the usual, "GJ EVRY 1". We all left happy and talking to each other. My general experience with the FFVIX community was like that.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that contribute to what makes a MMO community more or less positive, helpful, accepting etc. I don't know what they all are, but I'm also sure it's likely very easy to screw the formula up. The last time I played both games I generally found the grumpy, stodgy old EQ community more welcoming than the super awesome best community ever of EQ2. Someone could probably make a lot of money if they could figure out why that is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Eorzean Bard

Eorzean Bard New Member

First off hey folks & thx Feldon for all the work over the years, had been playing EQ2 since just before EoF but quit soon after the Myrist xpac, I roamed the lands for awhile in search of the next best thing and eventually ended up in Eorzea, a year on still going strong.

Still lurk around here and the official forums every now & then and seen the post about FFXIV and wanted to reply.

With nothing else to play at the time I slowly went through all of ARR learning as I went, there was tons of content to work on and lots of running back n forth, It's not for everyone so it's understandable if folk skip it.

Starts to pick up in Heavensward & Stormblood, haven't reached Shadowbringers yet but about 3 quests and a dungeon to run and I'm there.

I was sold on the fact I don't need multiple alts like eq2 and you just need to equip a different weapon to change class and the free trial lets you get to lvl 30 in everything with little restrictions.

The community is great, starting a dungeon I've never been in I usually say im new to it and someone always gives tips/pointers, most are variations on Aoe's to avoid or some other mechanic to use. There is the occasional bad seed but rare.

I've found MTQcapture's you tube channel inciteful if you want to learn about a new dungeon before you go in: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5BtIO_vMNvds5sgE-JI6KA

And https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/FF14_Wiki for anything else.

If I can help anyone I'm on Omega, pretty sure I can travel around the EU Chaos data center: feel free to add me
    Odessa Silverberg | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

For RhodrisNZ on glamours

Glasscannon had a look at your gear and apart from the materia theres not much wrong, the Augmented Scaevan gear from Rhalgars Reach may be slighty better defense wise, and If you lvl skipped you may have missed out on some class spells, they may show up on your hotbar but can't access them till you talk to the trainer and run the class quests.

You should have Second wind & Bloodbath from your role skills to help keep health up, depending on what quests your doing, theres also the chocobo companion you can set to healer to help.

Maybe see some of you in game :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Duty finder is cross-world within your data center (each region has multiple groups of data centers, you can see the breakdown here: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Servers). I believe it's already been mentioned in this thread, but you can also travel to other servers on your data server as well even when not in an instance.

If you like crafting in general, you'll probably like FFXIV's crafting. It's more of the EQ2 style of crafting where you're actively working to make an item rather than just selecting something from a list and popping it out. Also, each crafting class and gathering class has their own storyline as well. I didn't do too much crafting myself, but I know they've been streamlining it a bit recently -- it used to be very necessary to level up all of the crafting classes but they're kind of moving away from that a little bit.

All of this talking about FFXIV is kind of making me want to play again too. :p Maybe after the next patch.

Speaking of the next patch, you're kind of lucking out in terms of when you're starting the game. There's some really bad quest bloat around the middle section of the base game and between the end of the base game and the first expansion that they're going to trim down a bit. Also, they're going to be adding flying to the base game's zones that unlocks after you beat the A Realm Reborn storyline.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

Ooh, flying! I forgot about that. :)

The cool thing about flying in FF XIV? It's not a wave of the magic wand and now you can haz flying everywhere. There's actually a sub-storyline for it. What I really liked: You have to unlock flying for each zone that allows it!! This is done by "attuning" to aether currents (15 per zone, except for special areas like Azys Lla). Ten of the currents are found by running around various areas (you get a special compass to help, it's not just blind), but the other 5 are granted through quests (and usually 1 or 2 of them is from the MSQ.) :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I must admit that I'm really enjoying having things to work towards - that the end result isn't just handed to you, you actually have to WORK for a mount, or for flying ability or whatever you want. I got my first mount last night, and I had a real sense of achievement when I finally got that chocobo whistle!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eorzean Bard

Eorzean Bard New Member

Aye RhodrisNZ feels like you earned it, if you continue that questline you'll get a chocobo companion to train up, feeding it some greens and you can train it as more a tank, healer kinda like a merc but without all the bloat, and the barding is just that not like eq2 it's all for changing the appearance of your chocobo.

Getting the challenge log unlocked from Limsa will help along the way with every aspect of the game gaining rewards for stuff you would be doing anyway, resets every Tuesday.

10. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

After playing WoW where everyone expected everyone else to know every mechanic on day one otherwise they'd get the boot, I was absolutely shocked to see people on FFXIV being so calm and forgiving of each other on day one of new trial/raid content.

It's a good game with a lot of fun, rewarding stuff to do. Take your time, explore everything, enjoy the wide variety of stuff to do. I even enjoy collecting the Triple Triad cards. You'll have to learn about coloring and barding that chocobo, next. I still can't decide whether I like the Susano, Ravana, or Yojimbo barding best.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

For anyone interested in giving FFXIV a shot, the free trial is now going to include the first expansion as well, and the free trial level cap is increasing from 35 to 60. Kinda crazy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Very cool. Level 60 is still very far off from level 80 in terms of how most jobs will play, but it gives a much better idea of what the game's all about. That ARR voice acting/MSQ design is very rough in comparison to, say, Shadowbringers stuff. Pray return to the waking sands...

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

They're at least addressing some of that stuff in this patch as well, but yeah ARR is rough. Understandable though considering they rebuilt the entire game in the process.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

However, unlike EQ2, there is still a game TO play at lower levels. I started at lvl 1 and am playing my way up. There is plenty to do, plenty of people. Instances get done because of the duty roulette, the newbie channel has helpful people that actually HELP, etc

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Eorzean Bard

Eorzean Bard New Member

I spent 6 months learning as I went along through ARR, enjoyed every moment and took my time, tried a few FC's, learnt to make sure I got all blue quests to unlock content. Did all beast tribe quests to ally (ARR Heavensward & Stormblood), switched Jobs midway through the MSQ to have more than one toon up to par, collected tomes to gear out all Jobs (which is easy since certain jobs use the same gear ex.all the tanks or all mages).

Did crafting & gathering till 70+ on all, and at no point have I thought it was a chore. It's just a nice breeze compared to EQ2. When all your subset of Jobs can wear the same gear through tomes which can be a small grind it makes it easier and to switch to any job/class on the fly is a bonus.

Nice they making the trial up to 60, there's little restrictions is place, though sending a tell/whisper was one I encountered. Not sure on how many retainers (personal bank) you can have though.

I found I was bogged down with all the gathering material to collect and bought 2 extra retainers, cleared alot out by just keeping HQ mats but took alot of research into what to keep and what not.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Yup. I love the roulette system -- it was a very interesting solution to a common MMORPG problem. They did a good job of making vertical content while still keeping the lower level stuff relevant. Very eager to see the new zone that they'll be adding soon. I thoroughly enjoyed Eureka, minus the...questionable looking armor sets. Not really down to look like a techno cowboy.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

I'm kind of sad I missed out on Eureka when it was relevant since it had a lot of FFXI references in there, but boy did I not enjoy Stormblood. :p

18. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I appreciate the answers to my previous posts. I'm still tweaking things but overall I have been progressing well. I'm about a third of the way through the Shadowbringers MSQ and am enjoying the game very much. I don't miss EQ2 at all although I hope my former raid mates are doing well. What's very noticeable is how much there is to do in FFXIV. When I am done with the MSQ there will be lots of other stuff for me to circle back around to. That, and the total lack of P2W (although I'm not at endgame so maybe it will change, but I looked around the cash shop and I don't see much [or any] P2W there). I still miss some things about peak EQ2, in particular I rather liked the many different skills that each class gets in EQ2 as well as the pace of combat. But since I left I have no motivation to return.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

No P2W in FFXIV's end game either. Also, raid content is balanced when it's released, unlike EQ2 where you might not even know if a fight is working correctly for months due to how frequently they have little/no messaging.

Of course, part of the reason that FFXIV can be so balanced is due to how bland itemization and class design are. But EQ2 has been drifting away from interesting itemization for a while now.

One thing I will say about FFXIV's combat is if you feel it's slow and you're at a high level, you probably have room for optimization. While the GCD is long, FFXIV's combat is really about weaving in off-GCD stuff in between GCDs. You still have less buttons to hit than EQ2, but the buttons are more meaningful IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

That's why I'm glad they moved the trial up a good bit. I can't speak for all the jobs, but the difference between lower level SAM gameplay vs higher level SAM gameplay (when they really started giving us off-GCD stuff) is night and day. I snore my way through the leveling dungeons and most pre-70 roulettes, but those level 80 fights mesh dancing, on-GCD and off-GCD abilities so well that I'm always hitting something. That first round of Eden raids was particularly satisfying.