1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

I need a new MMO!

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Zhaanish, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Despite what JimmyBananas said, you're not going to make it very far if you're not okay with grouping, since you need to do the group dungeons to proceed through the main story quest and a lot of other stuff is gated behind doing the main story quest as well (for example, getting your first Chocobo). You'd have to exceed the level of the dungeon by quite a bit in order to solo them, and since the MSQ is the best source of EXP, it would be a chore to get that high. I guess you could pay for a level boost? The leveling dungeons are pretty simple and fun though and they're not that frequent, so you're missing out IMO.

2. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Buying a job boost is the easiest way for anyone who really wants to avoid player contact, but even so -- while MSQ XP is great -- it's a one-shot deal, and it's best to learn all the alternatives while they're new and immediately relevant, rather than going backwards. Hell, I got my Dark Knight to 80 on beast tribe daily XP alone. My White Mage is mid-70s now, and he's done almost nothing but squadron runs for itinerant moogle tomestones.

That said, there's no shame in a boost.

3. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Right, but other classes you level up receive an EXP bonus from having a higher level class, which helps make those other, alternate EXP methods viable. My point was more that if forced grouping is that much of a dealbreaker, the game probably isn't going to work out well for them long term. Trying to outlevel the dungeons in order to solo them would be nearly futile (also, some dungeoons might have mechanics that prevent soloing), then you have the 8-person fights that cap off the expansions, plus they're going to integrate the Crystal Tower series (which are a complete pushover now with how overgeared everyone is, but again, if forced grouping is that big a deal...) which requires 24 people into the MSQ due to its implications for Shadowbringers.

4. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Yes, forced grouping is a dealbreaker for me (same for PvP). I hate it. So I will continue to puddle around the game, exploring and doing what quests/duties I can where I can, until I reach a point where I can do no more, then I will leave. But for the moment, it's fun and I'm enjoying the exploration and the scenery.

I'm used to missing out on a lot of the story - gods know, I've missed out on so much in EQ2 because of the heroic/raiding requirement to progress. I just stop at that point, and go and find something else to do.

I really do not like dealing with people in-game (but I do like to see people running around, doing their thing - makes the world environment come alive). The first thing I do when I make a new character is turn all chat channels off. I have to deal with enough idiots with raging egos in my real life - I do not want to have to put up with that crap in a game I play for relaxation.

Such a pity I can't have appearance gear equipped into appearance slots - the peasant look is very jarring on the eyes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

FFXIV is a little different than other MMOs in that the story is the game for the most part. Things like getting your mount, traveling to the other starting nations, etc. are gated behind the MSQ and dungeons. Even if you were theoretically max level, you couldn't access the zones in the any of the later expansions without having completed the MSQ leading up to it. That said, you really don't need to interact with people in the dungeons to complete them, you can basically treat the other players like AI. :p

6. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I have a lowbie character too and I plan to do the original MSQ with the first expansion.

It's refreshing to see an MMO that actually has quests. There are definitely things about EQ2 that I prefer but thus far it's been worth the purchase price.

7. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

Also, I am wondering. I just finished the MSQ for Stormblood. But it looks like there are an additional 40 quests in the Stormblood expansion that are referred to as "post-MSQ." Do I need to do these before I move on to Shadowbringers MSQ? Part of me wants to move on to Shadowbringers because I am already overleveled/overgeared for Stormblood as it is. But I will work through them if it's a requirement.

I'll probably have more gameplay-related questions soon.

8. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Yeah, you have to complete all MSQ quests. They conclude the storyline for the current expansion and then setup the next one. If you haven't already, do the Crystal Tower raids since they play into the storyline of Shadowbringers.

9. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Personally, I love the wide variety of things to do. Sometimes it's nice just to log in, hang out in the Gold Saucer and play some games. Other times, it's fun to jump into the latest raids -- and I'm happy to not have to plan a several-hour chunk of my day around doing so.

It's not perfect, and the story hasn't really wowed me outside of some parts of Stormblood and Shadowbringers, but it's definitely one of the best current options that isn't either ready to croak or slathered in microtransactions. Glad to see people enjoying it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RhodrisNZ

I'm in full exploration mode at the moment. It's such a beautiful game world. Really enjoying working my way around it and working my way through the hunting log (what a brilliant idea that is).

Edit: And I've discovered the bit of fun that is the novice training exercises! You get some nice gear through that as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Wulfgyr / Erytheal Active Member

I wasn't a huge fan of that mechanic initially either; but like Endymion said, you can treat the other players like AI (for the most part). Any MMO vet will quickly figure out the mechanics for everything up to about level 40 or 50 dungeons, so talking in party chat is really... well, I haven't seen much of it at all except for tips in the Hard/Extreme version dungeons. There's been runs where it's been dead quiet as we mass-pull/AE our way through, and a couple of scattered "TYFP" (Thanks for the Party) at the end. :D

Most times, there's a few party members that got slotted as part of the daily roulette and they're doing speed runs for rewards/glam gear. No need to socialize with 'em - that's what free companies are for!

Regarding Squadrons - you can run dungeons with them, but you don't get the complete list. It definitely helped to level my Arcanist from 24 to 30 so I could pick up the Scholar & Summoner jobs, though.

If you want, shoot me a friend request- I'm on Zalera, character name is R'Eryth Drakean. I can run you through any of the dungeons up to about 40'ish so you can keep going with the story.

Glad you're having fun with it - and don't forget the Disciple of the Land (DoL) jobs (Miner, Botanist, Fisher)! They get a stealth fairly early on that lets you gather under a mobs nose without aggro (within I think a 5 level limit, based on DoL level). The Disciple of the Hand (DoH) ones are your crafting jobs, and crafted gear is definitely worth wearing to fill gaps in MSQ awarded gear.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  12. RhodrisNZ

Thanks for the offer - can't figure out how to add you to my friends list, but my character on Zalera is Kerris T'haen. Level 21 archer, but haven't done that much with her as yet - generally play on Alexander as that is on a Japan data centre, closer to where I live (latency is better for NZ).

Also can't get my head around the different jobs yet. Thought I would concentrate on my primary class first before trying to take anything else on.

13. RhodrisNZ

Update - ok, I sucked it up and did the first dungeon for the MSQ. Took only 8mins to make the party (love the system for doing that), and the other players were kind! Well, I presume so - they typed in Japanese....but I held my own and kept up, and got 3 x player commendations from the others! I presume that's a good thing....can't find anything about them in the journals, but probably not looking in the right places.

A far more pleasant experience than any I've had in PUGs in EQ2.

• Like Like x 4
  14. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Good stuff! On FFXIV, I can count the negative experiences I've had on one hand (none of which were actually directed at me), and I've run all of the content with randoms, including current raids and trials. Also, that little sprite symbol next to your name lets people know that you're new and are likely still learning. Keep you eyes open for mechanics indicators and, when in doubt, there are always walkthroughs on YouTube for things like raids or trials. Queues normally aren't too bad outside of PVP, but some of the final ARR dungeons may take a while depending on your role.

Commendations are listed somewhere in the menus -- under profile, I think. You get rewards based on how many you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  15. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

At the beginning of an instance (whether it's a dungeon or just a one-off fight), it also pops a message letting other players know that it's someone's first time doing the instance. The other players receive a bonus reward in that scenario, so it's actually kind of desirable to end up with a new player, especially since most of the leveling content is pretty simple. There are some zingers in there, but not so much in the base game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

I think we might have to both be online to add each other to the friends list. With the time difference, might be on the weekend or something - no biggie. Update: From what I found after doing a search on it, the prevailing theory is it's to prevent any RMT bots from filling up your mailbox with spam friend requests, likely from earlier in the games history. Interesting factoid - Square publishes a weekly synopsis of all actions/# of account bans related to RMT. :p

Nice, glad to hear it went well! :)

I'm trying to remember where it is, but there's also somewhere to select language when queue'ing. It's probably not unusual for the Japanese data server to have Kiwi's and Aussie's on there, so likely not even worth changing in case it impacts queue times. Oh, and if you ever get a message like "The world is full: XX" when logging in, just give it a few minutes. I frequently get that in the evenings- it keeps the login server(s) from getting spammed into oblivion.

Rawr!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. RhodrisNZ

That would make sense. I'll log in at various times over the course of the weekend to see if you're about. My local time for making this post is 4.20pm on Wednesday 15 July.

I think one of the reasons why I'm really liking the game is that it uses normal adult language. No watering it down - exclamations of "The b&*%$#rds!" and suchlike. I'm a kiwi - we are down to earth folks, and don't use weak terms like "oh golly gosh"*....

*this is not to say that we are always gutter-mouthed, just that the usage doesn't offend us. To us, "hell" is absolutely NOT a swear word.

18. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

Oh, I know. I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to Auckland when I was still serving. Great conversations, great folks, great food. Weather struck me as very similar to what I'm used to in the Pacific Northwest. It's probably coded in my Irish/Scottish roots at some level, lol!

I got sidetracked putting together the last of the kitchen cabinets that finally came in, then QA'd the general contractor's work and discovered he missed all the corner braces. So, that was pretty much it for my evening - getting ready to shower and crash before tomorrow's early meeting. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

So, as I've mentioned I boosted a toon to Level 70 Samurai and started at the beginning of the Stormblood expansion. I'm now done with the MSQ and post-MSQ for Stormblood and I have started on the Shadowbringers MSQ. I'm near the beginning, level 70 quests, at level 74, and I have died several times. So I just want to understand what I might be doing wrong.

Here is my character:

Koto Rensverd

Until last night I was using the starter boosted gear, which was character level 70 and had an item level of 385. I managed to find some affordable upgrades and now my gear is what you see, item level 399. I also started using a food. So hopefully this will things a bit easier - just was wondering if it looks like I am missing anything obvious based on the character profile.

Thanks

20. Wulfgyr / Erytheal

I'm not up that high yet, so really can't comment how your stats are. One thing I did notice - looks like there's no materia on the gear that has slots for it. That can add a big chunk of stats- you'll likely want some of the Savage (red ones) and maybe Quickarm (purple) ones. Make sure to do the quest for advanced melding, since that lets you "overmeld" additional materia beyond the number of slots- actually, that can wait. Think you need to have a crafting (Disciple of the Hand) class at a certain level for advanced melding. Short term, you can have one of the melder NPCs fill your slots. Make sure to check each piece of gear to see how much you can improve the stats, as different pieces have different limits.

Here's a guide that might help cover anything I missed: https://latetothepartyfinder.com/materia-melding-guide/

Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 1