1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Canceled my All-Access Membership today on two accounts

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Glasscannon, May 30, 2020.

1. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I thought I'd be playing this game till the lights went out. But Blood of Luclin was such a mess at rollout that it broke my desire to play. I took nearly 4 months off, from January-May, then came back earlier this month for a bit. But realized all I was doing was spending money to progress my character. Not fun. No longer worth it.

Shame. There is no other game that was as good as early EQ2. Too bad it didn't catch on like EQ1 or WoW. Every so often I look through the old Prima Games strategy guide. So much to do and see. Enchanted Lands was probably my favorite zone and perfectly captures EQ2 at its best. A big overland zone with lots of quests, from the simple to the involved, with lots of parts to see and enemies to fight. You could spend several levels there over the course of a couple days. Now? Every solo-rated mob in the game is one-shot. Overland quests are useless and boring. You can gain 10 levels in 2 hours, if that, then all you do is run in a circle every week until the next expansion comes out.

There's so much about the game that I really enjoyed. I actually liked having to sort through abilities and optimize casting rotations. I know that's not for everyone, and lots of people refer only a handful of abilities. But to me it was like a giant puzzle to figure out. I liked the lore and the core gameplay too. Little things like finding the Freeport Fence Broker underneath Qeynos Harbor. And obviously the people. Some terrible people but mostly good and kind players. Honestly my raid crew is probably what kept me in the game since mid-2018. And I think many feel the same, like if one of them goes the avalanche will start and everyone will go.

So anyway, this is my little eulogy. I think Blood of Luclin is the tipping point for the franchise. There may be another expansion but hard to think it will go past that. Hardly any people ever on, and no one pugs anymore. They haven't since Chaos Descending started. Not all of it is the fault of the game developers. But even if I stopped playing, so long as my card is on auto-pay, they don't really care. So today I got around to it.

Hopefully something else comes along to take its place!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 15
  2. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

As vitriolic and argumentative as I've been over the last few years with people I've been that way because I do understand the loss. It's hard and it lingers, but it does get better over time. Hopefully you find a new thing to fill that gap and people to make it easier to move on. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

I do blame the developers a bit. Even if you like your job, when you see wrong doing and a game heading down the wrong path, you are and should be allowed to speak your mind to try and prevent it.

All we see and hear from, now Darkpaw games, are people following Kander blindly without ever voicing concern. At least we never heard a beep outside the company. They all appear happy and just trucks along like sheep and we have heard nothing from Jenny since she got into her new position. Like at all.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I started souring during ToT, but KA found so many ways to piss me off that I cancelled my sub and gave all my plat to friends.

I'm still in love with the old game up to AoM, but especially <= RoK. I had such a blast with the old content.

Sadly, aside from the art (which is still fantastic), the game that exists today is absolute garbage. Really and truly; it's nothing less than total junk.

I don't blame the worker bees, but it is what it is (that falls to DBG mgmt, Longdale, Kander).

There are lots of other games out there that offer miles more value than eq2. You'll find something you like :)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Julesholland

Julesholland New Member

Did the same today, sub runs for another month but deleted the game, someone in a previous thread summed it up, it's boring.

Got millions of plat, 13 krono but don't raid, so there is nothing in this game for me

• Appreciation Appreciation x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  6. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

I feel both lucky and guilty, in a way, that I started with EQ1 and still absolutely love that game. It gives me something to spend my time doing and I tend to lag so far behind that there's actually plenty to do but I feel guilty because I'm still rewarding bad behavior with my wallet. EL was, and still is my favorite zone ever. That little spot over by the scarecrow, the wall, and the beach - the spot with the flower garden - is my favorite singular spot in the game. I still talk to several people I've met along the way, on a regular basis, and we all have each other's phone number and social media contact info. I've known some of those folks for 21 years. I'm the only one left playing as my longest running MMO friend quit two months ago.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Looking back, I liked the pre-DoF content the most. But if I had to pick one zone that I loved the best, it was SH.

THAT is a contested dungeon crawl. You had tons of long and involved quest lines working through it. All the interesting lore. It was a huge zone where **** hit pretty damn hard. Mobs dropped unique and useful items. It was easy to spend hours in there.

On top of all that, pvp was a blast in that zone because there was aggro everywhere and no one was hopped up on raid gear. Such fun!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

The funny thing is, I started playing EQ2 a month after Echoes of Faydwer came out. I never knew the DoF or pre-DoF game. I do remember when I started that Conjurors could send their pet after anything they could see. Then a patch later they took that away and you had to have "line of feet". Something about people pulling mobs through walls in MMC. Seemed like a good reason to break the entire game, right? This was apparently an omen of things to come.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

I cancelled my 3-month sub a month or so ago, and haven't logged in once while it's been running out. Don't miss it at all in it's current state, but do miss the early game. Kander et al have a lot to answer for - they have managed to run this once-amazing game completely into the ground. I think the last straw for me (finally) was Kander's admission that Overseers were the replacement for quests. Or maybe it was the complete breaking of tradeskilling, a play style I really loved. One or the other. I don't raid, group or do heroics, but I enjoy doing quests and when the mood is right, putting on music and doing crafting writs for status for a chilled-out evening. So both these were taken away from me by Kander, meaning the game was no longer any fun (which is the sole reason I play online games - fun and escapism), and there was no point to continue paying for something that I wasn't enjoying.

I've found a home in SWTOR, and am really enjoying it there. I also dabble in FFXIV or GW2 for my fantasy fix, both of which have far more stunning art than EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Just Curious

Just Curious Member

I loved EL. It felt like such an accomplishment to get there. I remember my guild working in teams to do to the access quest. That is the game I loved playing. People working together to explore new lands and adventures.

Completely agree. SH is my all time favorite zone. I went there last year just to look around and found that I still had it memorized.

A close second is Ruins of Varsoon, but like EL, it's all pre-DoF.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I went back for BoL and as soon as I saw what was on the beta server I uninstalled the game and that was that. I had planned on going back to the TLE server for RoK but I don't even think I'll do that at this point. I'm not saying I'll never play again but I'm pretty done right now, Kander's podcast has largely killed any hope I had for the future of EQ2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

I still think back to how much fun I had running around in the Nektulos Forest, and I always think of the Halloween maze when it's the season. One of EQ2's biggest appeals, to me, was being able to re-explore all kinds of places that I'd previously been to in EQOA (which I believe was supposed to take place hundreds of years before both EQ1 and EQ2). It also had plenty of really cool areas that were new to me, like Maj'dul -- which I loved for its ambiance.

Unfortunately, even when I freshly joined up, I could tell that there wasn't a lot of life-blood flowing in the game's community, and by the time I left I saw almost none of the original goofy characters in the chat channels. In fact, the chats had gone almost entirely silent and just about every guild we'd tried out was filled with abandoned accounts and hermits who spent all of their time designing houses. Once they added resolve and made it nearly impossible for my little group to continue doing content (which was sad, because I LOVED the challenge of low-manning content in EQOA), I knew it was time to move on.

I wouldn't worry too much. Discovering new MMOs is one of the best parts of the genre. You'll probably have a few swings and misses, but I'm betting you'll find something new to spend your time on.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I'm still playing, but then I am still raiding too.
    I think if I stopped raiding I would stop playing as I am mostly doing a full solo run a night on 1 or 2 characters when not raiding.
    I used to love doing heroics but PuGs aren't fun anymore.

Nowadays when I do the solos I watch video's on the other screen and only really focus when I am doing Bizarre Bazaar when I have to use items.

I have a sizeable collection of GoG games that are waiting to be played and some personal projects which will demand my attention such as getting 1kyuu in the Japanese proficiency test in the next 1-2 years.

I still have a few friends and a guild that has been going for a long time (I have been with them since DoV) so I won't join you now, but if the guild goes boom and my friends find other places then I will look at quitting.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 7
  14. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

I'm sorry for you - I know how this feels. I quit 2-3 years ago and I'm still here on these boards talking about it. I spent so much of my life in Norrath between EQ1 and EQ2 and I guess I keep hoping somehow it will change. I know that's a futile hope now but somehow I can't totally step away.

Thanks again Feldon for keeping these boards going. :)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Agreed - I remember going to the last SOE Live and his arrogance even then stunned me as a paying customer (it was my first and only game convention). All the other developers I saw and interacted with were great. Even Smokejumper in person was very charming and seemed genuinely interested in what players had to say.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

Nothing wrong with reminiscing. I played EQOA for something like 9 years, EQ1 too briefly to really count, and EQ2 for...I wanna say a little over two years, maybe three. For all of their many, many faults, all of the EQ titles had great lore and features -- both of which are hard to forget, and I always like to compare my current games to things I'd played in the past. My experiences on EQOA were one-of-a-kind, and that environment of "the world's accessibility is heavily determined by your abilities as a player" is something I severely miss. Even EQ2 was very different in that respect, although it was the addition of resolve that more or less bound me to other players, regardless of whether or not I actually needed anything else that they provided.

I've played countless video games, but only MMORPGs have provided real "experiences."

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

MMOs are special because we play them with other people. Lots of people.

Specific MMOs are special for various reasons unique to each individual.

One of the things that made Norrath special for me is that I was a huge table top role player back then and a lot of the guys I played with or ran for were D&D players. We spent a lot of time in the 90s playing Forgotten Realms content or one-off worlds. Norrath has a clear pedigree.

• Agree Agree x 8
  18. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

I'll never pay real $'s to play this hot mess again. When I run out of plat to buy krono with, if not before, I'm done.
    The last straw for me will be them not adding a damn spell to game, that's been missing since the release of BoLlocks. I can honestly feel my blood pressure go up every time I go to OF and see my thread, still there, still ignored.

At this stage I want them to add the spell more because it's a spell, it should be in game, IT'S A F'N SPELL FFS. How hard can it be to add? Wtf is wrong with them?
    I love the spell though, I started on a PvP server, Q side on Darathar. Grasping Bones was used on me, in Feerott, on my first death to a Necro. That spell, the way it looks, is the reason I have a necro today. Yes dumb but totally true.

And Snikkety if you post in here, just know I hate you more than Beantoes. Stop posting in MY thread you sniveling pos.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Zynt

Zynt Active Member

I told you to put that **** kicker on ignore before you have a stroke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Charlice

Charlice Active Member

He is on ignore but sometimes a girl just has to look! He infuriates me.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 1