1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Other Games....

Discussion in 'Coffee House' started by Fuli, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Thanks for the info!

2. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

So what keeps someone under a PK debuff from having an alt account or a confederate kill them, collect the drops, then hand the stuff back to the newly-cleared ganker to go back about his dirty business? Because I guarantee if I'm asking it, it's already going to be happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Dunno. They have account-wide stuff in place to prevent all kinds gooofiness. From a technical stand point, no idea how they handle alts on other accounts.

In any case, for me it comes down to cost-benefit. That' an awful lot if b.s. to go through just to get a pvp kill. Just can't see anyone other than the occasional a-hole bothering with it.

Edit:
    Thought I'd add a bit of clarification.

To understand AoC PvP, keep in mind that while the potential for pvp is all around, it's large scale conflicts that serve to build/re-build the game, so that's were the incentives are dialed in.

Sure, 1v1's can be fun, however where the designers want the game to shine is with the larger strategic objectives of factions, guilds, etc.

There is just no real benefit to ganking flagged players, at least none to justify the costs or risks.

At least, this is how I understand it. One of the first things I plan to do when this game launches is roll a tank and go about my business as a flagged player for a couple weeks. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Ganking isn't about cost-benefit, that I've ever seen. If it was it would almost never happen. Some folks just like to watch the server burn.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

True, I acknowledged earlier it's unlikely those kind of players will be absent from AoC. Fact is, players bent on griefing others exist within pretty much every mmo.

Eq2's pvp servers were fun in that the world was far more dangerous. The problem with the entire thing (aside from class balance issues) was that ganking was rewarded.

In terms of the situation you described earlier, I just don't anticipate it will be a major problem, and even so, it would be an obvious intent to cheat the rule set.

In theory, it will be entirely possible to enjoy this game without being forced to pvp.

I really hope the game can deliver on this, because I'd hate for people to miss out on all the other cool stuff this game is offering.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  6. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

People gonna die.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

AoC Pre-Alpha GM Gameplay Stream:

All the core systems are up. Most of them were on display here (they didn't do any crafting though). Testing = level 10, so the number of abilities was limited.

Also, everyone has flying mounts but in the final release, this won't be the case. Iirc, mounts are awarded to those with "emperor" status and I believe people can earn them as special, limited use rewards or something like that, so most folks are gonna be hoofin' it.

They killed a couple of corrupted players (indicated by bright red nameplates), a dragon, and a bigg-assed spider thing. Some of the environmental effects were turned on.

Some pvp fights here and there. PvP flagging switch is apparently "cntl F".

Lets see, what else......leveled a node, had an election, bought some houses, built an amory and a black smith. Commissioned a caravan.

Loved both the character and mob animations. Spells effects and target rings look awesome.

Man, I am so looking forward to this game :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

Ironically this is one place where SOE/Daybreak has been good. Paying people a decent salary. It's probably why people stick around so long.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JimmyBananas

JimmyBananas Guest

12. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Keep in mind the main groups of employees cited for low pay in that article are testers, customer service reps, and designers which also don't make great money at DBG unless you're high up on the food chain (which is also the case at Blizzard). Blizzard is in an area with a higher cost of living though. SOE also paid royalties to people on the game teams (so not QA/CSR types), but I'm not sure if those still happen -- before the 2015 layoffs happened Smed mentioned there were going to be changes coming to it because you received royalties from the game you were working on but the Next team hadn't shipped anything yet lol.

Btw, here's the spreadsheet in question:

13. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I don't think Next was going to have royalties.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Holy cow. How in hell does Blizzard keep talent?

15. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

Same way the entire games industry does: because you're working on games, and you're working at Blizzard. "Prestige" goes a long way.

16. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

If you put a little cheese powder on it and maybe a pinch of Korean red pepper flakes you can make some tasty Prestige ramen noodles. Oh, if you can afford the $0.15 for the noodles.

It's apparently not much different for a lot of sectors in the entertainment industry. Look at all the stuff going on with comics. My uncle spent years driving a delivery truck and doing manual labor so he could have the privilege of writing songs for other people and playing in bars on the weekend. /shrug.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Glasscannon

Glasscannon Member

I'm curious, how are these salaries in comparison to the industry at large? It's not my field so I have no idea. But I see plenty of jobs on that list paying in the six figures.

18. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

The article was mostly addressing the pay of employees like testers, customer service reps (GMs), and some of the designers, testers and artists. It's pretty common for testers and CSRs to be paid kinda poorly, but I definitely couldn't imagine trying to live in Irvine (where Blizzard is located on some of those pay rates. Also keep in mind how much money Blizzard makes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rosyposy

Rosyposy Active Member

I'm still playing EQ2, however, I recently started playing FFXIV as well. I like some things more than EQ2, and some less. At least it's new to me and that's fun.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Anaogi

Anaogi Active Member

Saw a lot of comments in that file about being paid ludicrously less than comparable jobs elsewhere.

"Prestige" my ass.

EDIT: "Honor points"? You gotta be s***in' me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1