1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

returning player. BEGGING for help.

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Bohby, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Bohby

Bohby New Member

... i just googled a forum for EQ2, and this was the first one that popped up. i hope that this is an active forum, and a friendly one. just like the title says, i'm a returning player. and i'm BEGGING for help. lot of stuff has changed....... a LOT of stuff. i have entirely to many questions ... but for the sake of not writing a novel here, i'll try to ask only one.

i last logged in 6 years ago. when i logged in today, some of my characters names either have a "Z" at the end of their name, or are completly... and i mean COMPLETLY changed. ... is there a way to "reclaim" or at least change my characters name to something i would prefer?

finally, i should say, that i am not yet a paying subscription. i logged in, to see if i like the game enough to do so again. sadly, i do not think that a non-paying member is allowed to "world chat" in game at all. so, hopefully someone here will see this, and give me some tips.

thank you for your time.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
  2. Nawtey

Nawtey Member

Hi Bohby,
    Welcome back! For the name ending in "Z," that's likely due to a server merge. You should get one free rename per character - I believe the command is /rename <new_name>.

My personal recommendation would definitely be to do what you're doing - check it out as a F2P player first before taking the plunge. The latest expansion has introduced some bugs and friction points, especially if you are a hardcore crafter.

Best of luck!

edit: Another good resource you can reference is the EverQuest 2 Wiki

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Greetings and Welcome!

If you're just having a poke at the game to check it out, you should be able to get a fair idea without a subscription.

One thing I would suggest, is to create a new character (or brush off your lowest level one), to sort out your UI if needed, run around and whack a few things, just to get the feel back for movement and combat.

Check the wiki Nawtey linked and look for a zone of the appropriate level (or newbie quests, if you're starting over) and start questing. Crafted/Master Crafted gear will get you by until level 100ish.

I also suggest taking up a tradeskill that will benefit your character. Or make one of each tradeskill so you can always supply yourself.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Relax and have fun! See if there are any guilds recruiting at all. Explain your situation to them. Some of them might dust off their baby toons to work with you. The game is MUCH more fun with friends or friendly players, rather than just soloing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bohby

Bohby New Member

oh WOW. thank you all for the friendly feedback. and Nawtey, i'll give that a shot. i hope the name change thing works. .... i understand the server merge thingy, that does happen with lots of other games as well... though the complete name swap is confusing to me. ....... yeah, it's been a while, but i remember having a lot of fun with this game. thank you all for your time and advice, you've all been awesome. :)

btw... was i correct in assuming that non-paying members do not have access to "world chat" ... if that is what it's called?

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  6. Mizgamer62

Mizgamer62 Active Member

Best wishes and good luck Bohby. I hope you have fun on your journey :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Unless there has been a change in the past couple of years (I don't think there has), free accounts can't use global chat, LFG, or custom chat channels. Selling on the broker is also restricted, though you can buy, as well as sending mail in game, though you can receive.

I want to say there are also some gear restrictions, like legendary, but not anything you should have to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Free users can't use items tagged as prestige, everything else is fine. I don't think there's anything tagged prestige before Terrors of Thalumbra, but that expansion and beyond is full of prestige items.

Edit: Well maybe not full of them, but there's a few.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Bohby

Bohby New Member

Oh wow, this is an active forum! ^_^ thank you all so very much. Playing catch-up in an MMO is challenging. You guys are all being so awesome about it. I'm glad to know that i wasn't loosing my mind, and indeed i can NOT use global chat, at least i won't continue to try to find a way to use it now.

... and thanks to everyone i WAS able to reclaim *almost* all of my original names ^_^ .... i do wish i could have contact with at least one veteran of the game. . . . i think (as a non-paying subscription) i'm still allowed to use the mail system in-game. .... if any are willing to help me in-game (with info only) , my character's name is: Bobbert

Thank you guys again for all the help! :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. RhodrisNZ

RhodrisNZ Geographically Challenged

Unfortunately, as a free player you are unable to send mail, although you can receive mail.

Loads of folks here still play, but if you would like someone to run with a little more info is needed. What server are you on, and what are your usual play times? Also, character level and class would be helpful too.

;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bohby

Bohby New Member

... thank you for your reply RhodrisNZ. i am currently playing on the Maj'Dul server. As for my usual play times, that varies a LOT. i wish i could give a better answer than a "LOT" but it is the correct answer as my job has me *on call* , so at any given moment i have to leave whatever i'm doing. my main character is a level 53 human fury. one thing i should note is, i am not the typical MMO kind of person who wants to zip by the game and get to a super high level as fast as possible. i'm a more casual player, and prefer to "enjoy the moment" as i'm going along. i like the armor that i have, i like the weapons that i have... and as stupid as this sounds, i love the name of the itty-bitty guild that i built years ago........... even though i'm the only active player in said guild.

... i hope all of that does not turn people off to giving me advice and a helping hand. :(

........ i can't remember the game mechanics of EQ2 enough to recall if a PAYING account is able to see/search where i am in the game (hopefully any person reading this can find me if this is an option though) , so... i will tell you that i am doing my best to pick up where i appantly left off 6 years ago, which is in "The Sinking Sands" very close to "The Eye of Anuk" ... apparently i'm trying to kill the "Sul'Dal bladefuries" in the caves under the Eye of Anuk in the sinking sands.... of which the last time i played (six years ago) i was able to slay 10 of 20. . . . . . . . i would love it if a player showed up and nutralized (killed) all the other enemies associated with the mob... seems to be about 3 - 4 other targets. . . . i don't know if i'm strong enough to kill the entire mob, just to slay the one that i need.

. . . i'm sorry if this a huge read. i didn't mean it to be so long... but i hope someone is willing/wanting to help out a bit. it's currently 9:45am on 02-13-20 for me. so... i am in game at that listed time. ... if anyone reads this in time, i would love it if your willing and wanting to lend a hand. . . ... thank you so much. i think all of you are amazing. ^_^

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

Welcome to the forum! I think most of your questions have been answered, but wanted to say hi and hope you have fun!

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  13. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

Welcome Bobby, if you post the server you are on, and your level/class, I'm sure some folk here might be able to help you out.
    And about the gameplay, Levels 1 through 100 are the absolute best in the game, with excellent story lines, creative quests, and a lot of flavor.
    I'd actually suggest going ahead and doing every single quest you can find :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

The basic design of EQ2's free account is to make things more tedious, so stuff like general chat, I believe there are restrictions on mail, broker selling, etc. F2P also ends with the Alter of Malice expansion.

Based on what you described as your play style, and if you decide to sub, you may want to roll a toon on Kaladim which is a time-locked expansion server. This server is filled with the old school crowd, it's pretty active, and you might enjoy it.

In terms of expectations for live servers, well, you'll notice a big change after Alter of Malice (when DBG bought the franchise). For Thalumbra and later, the overland zones are pretty small, the content on the light side, and there is a big emphasis on driving folks to the cash shop.

Still, there are plenty of folks having fun with the later content, just keep in mind it's not going to be what you were accustomed to before you took your break :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Bohby

Bohby New Member

oh wow... thank you all for the detailed tips and advice... and all the warm welcomes ^_^ ......... once a ponna' time i used to know how to work the "skill tree" or whatever it's called. i suppose eventually i'm going to have to figure that out again. i seem to remember choosing the path that best allowed my toon to run fast. . . don't know how much it's changed. playing a healer is my favorite class though for sure.

16. RhodrisNZ

My main is a fury, so good choice! She's lots of fun.

17. Bohby

Bohby New Member

ok..... here is a question that i have... and i did check the wiki.. but maybe my question is just to dumb to even appear on the wiki............ where to i look to see what level my guild is currently at?

........ and another one......... i seem to remember that there was a way to "try on" an item before you buy it??? in this question i'm referring to mounts. is there a way i can view what the mount would look like if i bought it from the npc vendor? .......... and how do i do that?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Just open your guild window ("U" key I believe).

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. RhodrisNZ

To access the dressing room window (where you can preview most items), hold down the ctrl key and left click the item.

As Fuli said, to find out your current guild level, just press U for the guild window.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Bohby

Bohby New Member

O M G ............ THANK you guys so much!!!!!!!!!!!! =-D

• Winner Winner x 1