1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

EQ3 Speculation

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Alarra, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Some questions I would potentially ask:
    Is it plausible?
    What will it look like?
    What engine will it run on?
    Will they actually make themselves some proper development tools this time?
    Do they have enough money to make a game?
    What kind of time frame would they be making it in?
    How much progress have they already possibly put into it while DPG was DBG?
    Would we have census?
    Would it be part of the lifetime subs?
    On release would EQ2 die an instantaneous death?

Discuss!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Castegyre

Castegyre Active Member

I would say no unless someone else buys the rights.

No idea at this point. ESO+GW2 set in Norrath?

If DBG tries to make it the engine will be some 5+ year old discontinued and barely supported bargain bin find.

DBG, No. Someone else, Hopefully.

No (Yes, but will the powers on high give it to them?... No)

SOE/DBG has been working on some iteration of EQ3 or another since, what, 05/06? If DBG makes it, who knows.

I'm going to guess actual time spent doing more than brain storming or making up excuses to explain cancelling EQNext is near 0 hours.

Hopefully, but I suspect DBG actually hates it.

Doubtful.

Some people will keep playing an absolute crap game simply because they're comfortable and invested in it long past the point where that game is already effectively dead. EQ2 will probably keep running for as long as it's worth while for DBG to milk it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Since there is SOME interest in a free EQ2 server, its possible that once EQ2 dies officially, that some fan MIGHT be able to start a free server somewhere. We can only hope its sooner than later. *grins* If it happens sooner, we might be able to get more players to play that than the official game... but then it would be closed down for "stealing company customers and profits" or some other reason.

4. Errrorr

Errrorr Active Member

Yes
    EQ3
    Hopefully Unreal/Unity.
    At first sure.
    Yes, always enough money to make a game. Quality idk.
    Since EQNext got scrapped.
    As Above
    Doubtful
    No, but wouldn't surprise me if its sold with a lifetime package at launch.
    EQ2 wouldn't die unless the game was super amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

When this company shows me tthey can merely pull-off an expansion, I'll contemplate what a new game might look like.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Benito

Benito Banned

Did you play Chaos Descending? It was a very successful expansion.

7. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

You just can't help yourself. You already know the answer to your question because asked and answered already.

Also, CD was perhaps mostly bug-free. If that's your definition of a successful expac, good for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Benito

Benito Banned

CD was successful by other metrics: instant level 110 character boosts (included with basic expac), game balance, content for casuals and raiders, great mission/sig rewards (elemental mounts, epic 2.0 spells), normalized trade skills, limited RNG, great year content (Erollisi Day, Plane of Mischief, Kael, Dragon Attack), and awesome art.

CD brought lots of old players back including myself.

You have not experienced CD so your observations are limited (and uninformed).

9. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I have CD expansion but when im told to take the starting gear they handed me and pretty much junk what I had, despite my hard work to get it... I logged off and wasn't back. Why play if I get all my new gear handed to me?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

I heard about that, I don't quite understand the logic behind giving starter gear for an expansion. It seems a bandaid for the terrible stat inflation instead of, ya know, actually addressing the terrible stat inflation.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Oranorn

Oranorn New Member

That's just silly. You didn't even give it a chance? Guess you will always have someone complaining about something. "This is too easy." vs "This is too hard"

CD starting gear was crap compared to previous expansion raid gear or even heroic gear.
    Most of the box gear was replaced as you progressed the sig line.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  12. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Well, I'd expect the box to be replaced by quests. But just the fact they say "hey here's some cheap gear" is weird.

13. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Then why give new gear? Make it so our old gear would let us start to earn new gear.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Fun fact: self control is highly correlated with both intelligence and successful life outcomes.

I can't help you process or retain what I've already told you. Your antics have grown beyond tedious.

Don't wish you any ill-will, but good bye.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

The new gear was there for people who hadn't participated in the previous expansion or returning/new players or for alts.
    The starter gear had adornments from the previous expac so that you could come into the game on a semi-level playing field to people who had been playing the last expac if you hadn't; their gear would be better than yours, but it was a leg up rather than an insurmountable cliff that would make people run away after fluffing away and not seeing anyone and not being able to do anything with real people.
    It was simply something to help people get started. I found it good for my alts to get them going in the expac without having to do large amounts of annoying work just to get into the expansion. Lowering the entrance requirements to the expac the polar opposite of the disastrous Kunark Ascending expac(I nickname it the alt killer expac).

CD was a very well implemented expac from my point of view. I enjoyed it.
    They reduced the annoyance of leveling ascensions, gave you the epic 2.0 spells at the end of the sigline, and many other things.

It was probably the best implemented expac since AoM.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

Since around DoV, the EQ2 team have a history of making the previous expansion's gear and content mostly (or completely) irrelevant. In later expansions, this appears to have ramped up quite a bit, but wasn't as noticeable because the crafted and master crafted gear bridged the gap.

A 'gimme loot' starter crate negates the need for that bridge, as we've seen with the latest expansion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Khendrask

Khendrask Active Member

That's another reason I so dislike EQ2 now. I used to, every expansion, work up all my tradeskillers, to make myself decent gear, but even without, was able to actually do things in the expansion... at least until ToT came out, and that was almost minor, but in ToT, having (IIRC) 100 potency vs 0 was a HUGE advantage. I wasn't even aware there was a "New Required Stat" added. All my other games, I can progress naturally, with my old gear, replacing it as I had an opportunity. Even WoW, LOTRO, SWTOR, lots of people really start at zero, and don't just jump to the "End-Game(of today)".

Even in LOTRO, recently, for Durin's Day, I was able to take a 105 toon up to the stone, (carefully), and managed to survive the few encounters I couldn't avoid, with my 105 gear, even with everything RED and ANGRY.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Benito

Benito Banned

Sad.

Very sad.