1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

Forbes: New ‘EverQuest II’ Expansion ‘Blood of Luclin’ Marks 15 Years With Trip To The Moon

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Feldon, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Ruckus

Ruckus Member

I played since launch. I gave up on this game around September, because guildies were not showing up to raid. We'd have 18 on and we just called it. Not the right mix of tanks, healers, and DPS. It was always hit or miss with who showed up.

I did everything in this game. Solo, heroic, raid, harvest, tinker/transmute/salvage, leveled 9 crafters to 110. Had most of my ascensions to max, same with all my combat arts. I even farted around with decorating. Did all holiday things in game.

Then, I just camped one night after I <s>spent</s> wasted a krono to raid for 30 minutes that month. I camped with many millions of plat and a few broker-purchased kronos in my wallet. It cost me like $35 a year to buy the cheap basic expansion, and I just bought kronos when they were cheap.

After reading all the comments on this forum, I'm just glad that I saved my money and am not missing this game at all. I just know that I'd be pissed off with how things have gotten. I liked crafting and making things for folks. Harvesting was zen-like and relaxing. I dunno if I'll every play an online MMORPG game again. I enjoyed playing Pillars of Eternity 1&2 and am looking forward to Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I would say "May I have your stuff?" but I have kronos rotting on my account also, but I think I MIGHT end up playing EQ1 again someday. No hurry and I may never do so again. Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, it's unclear how relevant sub fees even are to the individual franchises. I mean, it's inclusive to four titles, right?

Who knows how DBG accounts for that money. It might get spread around, or, it might just land above them all.

Either way, that makes eq2 even more dependent on shop revenue. Throw in bonuses, and that probably goes a long way toward explaining design decisions.

Dunno how pervasive the shop encroachment is on eq1. In any case, with the upcoming isolation of franchises, one has to wonder about how how all this is going to work, and given this perspective, the lifetime sub offer makes a lot more sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

They are isolating the franchises? So EQ1 will be separate from EQ2, for example? So if I wanted to play both games, I would have to pay twice? Is that how it may turn out? Just curious.

5. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

They are moving each franchise into its own llc. Eq 1 & 2 will be in one together.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Thank you

7. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

Is there any official announcement? If so, please point me the right way.
    So far I only remember them registering new LLCs and all that - but nothing official.

8. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

They registered three trademarks too -- Darkpaw Games, Rogue Planet Games, and Bronze Age Studios. That costs a couple thousand dollars a pop. Which games would go to which company is clear.
    https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/10/trademarks-hint-at-big-changes-for-daybreak-game-company/

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Nothing official. Iirc, Longdale touched on it in this interview somewhere.

Holly Longdale Interview | EverQuest 2 Forums

10. Feldon

Feldon Administrator Staff Member

I'd listen to it, but my New Years resolution was to not listen to anything that's less than 50% factual unless it's specifically marked fictional.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, in that case, let's just note for the record that everything I post will continue to be at least 90% fiction.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

and there i thought i might have missed something important :)
    They registered quite some stuff in the past that was never used (at least not in a way we could see) - so I am pretty much biased on this topic.

I always thought how they have subscriptions contribute towards the revenue of each game anyways.
    If I was the beancounter in charge over there I would take the time spent in each game for each account and distribute the sub that way.

13. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see the comments in the transcripts and there is no way I'm watching that video again. I know I saw a comment from her about it somewhere...oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

14. Zhaanish

Zhaanish Active Member

15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Hah - found it. This has been bugging me :)

https://massivelyop.com/2019/10/12/daybreak-realignment/

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Good snooping and memory, Fuli!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Well, the article happened to be linked to a new Massively Poll, the topic of which is: "Which DBG Property Is Going To Fold THIS Year?"

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Fendhar

Fendhar Member

now that you linked it I do remember it :)
    But so far it doesn't seem like they already started to transition the games over into their separate studios.

Although I could see them just having those "companies" as publishers with the teams still officially at daybreak.

But yeah - I would still be curious how they split the income between games. If someone only plays eq2 they wouldn't really like it if their money is credited towards any other game - taking it literally away from eq2 funds. (and for some reason I think that if they do it by login-time to games that eq2 might get the short end of the stick)

19. Endymion

Endymion Active Member

While I get why people don't like this concept, it's also silly to not expect it to happen -- companies need to fund new projects somehow and ultimately don't want all of their eggs in one basket (especially at this point in the game's lifecycle). In SOE/DBG's particular case, it sucks that a bunch of EQ/EQ2 money went into the black hole that was EQNext and Landmark, but in an ideal world they would've made an actual good game that people would want to play as their interest in EQ/EQ2 waned.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  20. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Yes., I have friends very interested in EQNext until they saw the dark elves with horns... they didn't lose interest but it started fading then.

• Funny Funny x 1