1. I have corrected the e-mail settings so that outgoing e-mails from these forums should be sent now. If you tried to Register or Reset your Password, please try again!
    Dismiss Notice

BoL Beta Comments

Discussion in 'EverQuest II General Discussion' started by Alarra, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

Hey guys,
    Well it seems that Beta has started. I haven't seen a livestream nor maybe as per usual there isn't much notes on what has changed in the Beta forums.

2. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

Fixed it for you :D

3. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Looks like a re-skinned KA to me.

Edit: Or perhaps TOT. Sort of reminds me of both. Starting area is tiny. Saw 2 or 3 portals, don't remember exactly. So, hopefully the other areas aren't so dinky.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  4. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

5. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

Honestly I've been saying they need to make smaller zones for a while, I'd prefer they downsize the zones rather than have them be huge but 90% empty.

6. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

I found that the zones I've been to so far are not so dank as some previous expansions (only been to like 3 zones so far, so still got a few places to go).
    I would prefer to be able to fly around the zone in the video freely, however, you do get a thing like a griffon to travel from the top to the bottom.
    Maybe I will add some thread to the OF to see if we can get some flying ability there.

Although I did see some floating harvesting nodes, should have taken a screenshot to show a poo poo hat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alarra

Alarra Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Meneltel

Meneltel Active Member

I am not playing WoW but here is a link about the next expansion. Wonder how they compare on whats available... a cost comparison. WoW game mechanics are rather simple now, not to my liking, but...

9. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Biggest concern I've got is on the class/mechanics side.. the ONLY 'official' comment is 'we're not done yet'.
    They haven't answered questions like
    'Is the change to casting speed over 100 not going toward spell double cast a new mechanics change or a bug?'
    'For classes with an epic 2.0 pet, are there plans to scale the pet or in some way make sure that ability stays relevent?

Not asking for or expecting specifics.. but the TOTAL lack of ANY feed back, bug, intended, no, in progress.. ANYTHING.. is, at best, worrying.

There doesn't seem to be any good reason to refuse to answer basic questions about intended (or finished) mechanics changes.

For example, it appears they're ditching spell DC entirely or almost entirely in favor of (smaller values of) ability double cast. I think that's a smart change as it treats most classes equally.. you don't have to worry if an ability benefits from spell and/or ability DC...
    But there has be no official response along those lines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Shocked Shocked x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Since beta is up and people are buying pre-orders.. any news on how that steward thing works?

Edit: I did watch a few videos from the open world zones... they look really empty.. huge but empty.

Edit2: Looked at the beta forums for the first time and it looks like it is pretty much pre-alpha testing since there seems to be a lot that is not working as it should. Wonder if they even can get it to beta before release...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  11. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually, the beta isn't in a bad state, at least not compared to the last two betas. The zones are well done and, running through them, they're definitely not empty.. and I do occassionally find mobs in places they weren't before. The zones aren't huge, and they've done a good job at using the space which makes them feel bigger w/o being so big it takes forever to get anywhere. The only 'peeve' I've got with the areas is that the zone 'walls' and 'ceilings' aren't uniform or obvious so I'm constantly running into invisible barriers and odd camera changes when the camera is up against a 'wall'. There is more 'dressing' being added to the zones (which occasionally breaks quests since things that were reachable aren't), so, over all, I'd say it's going pretty well.
    Kaitheel and Chrol have been great about communicating and fixing bugs

There is pretty much zero information about the 'overseer' feature.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cindrax

Cindrax Active Member

Thank you for the info!

13. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

Its hilarious how people are upset the new wow expansion shadowlands only have 4 overworld zones.

Think back to the the last time EQ2 had an actual overworld zone that was not a hub connection... That would be 3 expansions ago.

Now think back to the time we got more than 2 overworld zones. Thats right, almost a decade ago.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

You don't count the earth, air, fire and poisons zones as overland for CD?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

Ah, well we know how this usually goes. If history is any measure, when they hold stuff back from beta, it's because they know they are changes unlikely to be popular or make people happy. They do something like this every year, so we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Sweatypie

Sweatypie Active Member

No, I honestly don't. Shattered lands, Desert of Flames, Rise of Kunark, Sentinel's Fate, Destiny of Velious, Chains of Eternity, Tears of Veeshan, Altar of Malic, Terrors of Thulaumbra and Kunark Ascending had "real" overland zones.

Planes of Prophecy and Chaos of Descending had extremely tiny zones centralized by a single hub and made very little sense even if you read the lore behind the two expansions. Okay maybe we can call the starting zone of PoP an overworld zone but thats streching it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Tekka

Tekka That Village Idiot

That's the crux of it, though, isn't it? Not bad "compared to the last two betas" doesn't mean it's remotely good. It just means the bar has been set so low it's difficult to slide under it.

Here's hoping, for those of you who still play, that you get an expansion that is better than 'at least it's not as bad as the last ones' by launch.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Fuli

Fuli Well-Known Member

I was looking at another stream. The zones seem interesting, but the textures look like they've sort of just been painted on. Might be the guy's settings, or maybe they adjust that later, dunno.

19. Clementine

Clementine Active Member

The environment art has looked interesting for the last few expansions, it's just the everything else that's the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mermut

Mermut Well-Known Member

That was not my intent. The content I've gone through (while originally a bit buggy) is well done and the fixes have been frequently and prompt. There is nothing 'shoddy' about the solo/quest content.

• Like Like x 3